Author Topic: N3N Sources  (Read 1035 times)

der5997

• Respect: 0
N3N Sources
« on: February 20, 2016, 11:37:28 AM »
Hello Folks, I'm new to this Forum.  I'm in Canada and am planning a N3N "tourist line" to take visitors to an attraction from the standard gauge station. So, I've got some Z scale track on hand, and am wondering just where one starts for t he rolling stock. I know Peco sells a saddle tank loco shell, but I have no idea really about sourcing the chassis or the N3N passenger cars - just two are needed.  Your thoughts a suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you.

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +305
    • My blog
Re: N3N Sources
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 11:44:21 AM »
Hello Folks, I'm new to this Forum.  I'm in Canada and am planning a N3N "tourist line" to take visitors to an attraction from the standard gauge station. So, I've got some Z scale track on hand, and am wondering just where one starts for t he rolling stock. I know Peco sells a saddle tank loco shell, but I have no idea really about sourcing the chassis or the N3N passenger cars - just two are needed.  Your thoughts a suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you.
Nn3 is usually a loco shell on a Marklin chassis. http://Http://republiclocomotiveworks.com is the best source for Nn3, it is a true craftsman scale with almost no ready to run equipment

cne_craig

• Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 12:11:25 PM »
Greetings,

Just joined myself, but I've been a member of nscale.net for a while.  A member there recently purchased a large nn3 collection in an estate sale and has them listed on that forums For Sale section.  Here's a link:
http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?39684-Nn3-Locomotives-and-rolling-stock&p=461216#post461216

There is a pdf file attached to the thread that lists engines and quite a few Micro Trains nn3 rolling stock. 

Cheers
Craig

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 12:28:37 PM »
There is a website that discusses cutting down various Model Die Casting/Athearns Overton cars for use on a narrow gauge train.  I would imagine the same could be done with the Overland cars...

http://www.nn3.info/Nn3_DRGW-SPC/DRGWSPC_e.html

Carolina Northern

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 12:48:55 PM »
You should be able to find a lot of info in The NN3 Journal er I mean N Scale Magazine.

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +305
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 02:28:34 PM »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2007
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 03:34:41 PM »
You should be able to find a lot of info in The NN3 Journal er I mean N Scale Magazine.

Do I sense some dissatisfaction with the amount of coverage given to Nn3 in the N-Scale Magazine?  Would you like to see more quality (standard gauge) N scale articles?  You know, they can't publish what they don't have.  :|  They have been trying to solicit their readers to write articles and send them in.

You want more N scale coverage - write an article and sent it in. There is a good chance you'll see it in print.  Tom Knapp is is a prolific writer and his specialty seems to be Nn3, so that is what gets published.  Too bad Lee Weldon stopped writing his column - I enjoyed it.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

Carolina Northern

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 04:31:32 PM »
Three submitted. they're not interested.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 04:51:30 PM »

Ouch!!!

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 05:00:29 PM »

That's unusual.  After reading the last couple of issues I woudl say that the will publish pretty much anything related in N scale. Even some of the layout articles they have been about very basic-looking layouts. Nothing I would ever expect in Model Railroader Magazine for example.  Not that there is anything wrong with that. But it seems that they are open to pretty much covering any level of modeling (from very basic to advanced).

I'm curious about the contents of your rejected articles?  Was the photography usable? What did the articles cover?  Were the subjects really esoteric?
--- Peteski de Snarkski

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +474
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 02:21:44 AM »
Getting back on subject, there are quite a few Nn3 passenger cars available in different combination from Roy Steven (Ryd Trains) at Shapeways here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rtrains?s=0#more-products

Roy's an N-scale friend of mine, and I've seen his products.  The Nn3 passenger cars are especially nice and are complete minus MT Nn3 wheelsets, couplers, and end-railings.  Roy started having problems with Shapeways subcontractors rejecting FUD printings, even though they'd been printed just fine previously (this seems to be a recurring problem at Shapeways) but I believe they've taken care of that problem now.

Another source of Nn3 stuff is Republic Locomotive Works here: https://www.republiclocomotiveworks.com/index.php

I've got several friends who are actively engaged in building Nn3 layouts and/or modules, and it looks like a helluva a lot of fun!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

der5997

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 01:49:40 PM »
Gentlemen: Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions - you have given me much on which to chew! I didn't intend to start a magazine article submission "war" - but even that  may have a beneficial outcome!

I've bookmarked much, and followed up on that .pdf file (a Forum I joined back in 2011, but my membership seems to have been put on a side-track!) It will get sorted (or is that classified? LOL) I'm sure. There's a battery operated Marklin 0-6-0 loco in there which looks interesting. Have you come across other battery operated N equipment? It's a first for me - but if lithium - ion technology improves a bit it may be the wave of the future.

I agree that it looks like narrow gauge N is a Craftsman field at present - but so long as I'm satisfied with the results of my hacks, that will suit.

Again many thanks - I'll be back with either more questions, or (better) a progress sit. rep.

Cheers.

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »
Robert already posted the link, but I'll give another shoutout to Republic Locomotive Works.

Panamint Models (Eric Cox ) has a bunch of early N scales stuff http://www.shapeways.com/shops/panamintmodels?section=N+Scale&s=0 that translates well to Nn3, & he's got the Nn3 trucks to go with them: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/panamintmodels?section=Nn3&s=0

If this is an attraction line, then perhaps some of his monitor-roof coaches (with interior details) would work for you:

M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 04:44:29 PM »
Gentlemen: Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions - you have given me much on which to chew! I didn't intend to start a magazine article submission "war" - but even that  may have a beneficial outcome!

I've bookmarked much, and followed up on that .pdf file (a Forum I joined back in 2011, but my membership seems to have been put on a side-track!) It will get sorted (or is that classified? LOL) I'm sure. There's a battery operated Marklin 0-6-0 loco in there which looks interesting. Have you come across other battery operated N equipment? It's a first for me - but if lithium - ion technology improves a bit it may be the wave of the future.

The Railwire is famous for off-topic excursions, often in multiple directions, so this is nothing unusual here.  :D

As far as battery operated Z scale locomotives go, was the battery contained inside the tiny model?  If yes, how was the model controlled?

Maybe what you are thinking  of is a Z scale throttle which uses a battery instead of a transformer plugged into AC wall outlet.  Z scale was always designed with 9V (not 12V) as the maximum voltage.  There are many battery operated Z scale throttles (aka controllers).  The early Marklin controllers were battery operated.  Of course the variable power is still delivered via the track (just like with N scale trains).
--- Peteski de Snarkski

der5997

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 03:15:29 PM »
Peteski:

As far as battery operated Z scale locomotives go, was the battery contained inside the tiny model?  If yes, how was the model controlled?

Maybe what you are thinking  of is a Z scale throttle which uses a battery instead of a transformer plugged into AC wall outlet.  Z scale was always designed with 9V (not 12V) as the maximum voltage.  There are many battery operated Z scale throttles (aka controllers).  The early Marklin controllers were battery operated.  Of course the variable power is still delivered via the track (just like with N scale trains).
I would think you are correct about the controller being battery powered. The only "on board" power I've used before was Hornby O - clockwork from the late 1940s! I can't imagine how one would work the on - off switch in Z! I haven't seen the Marklin loco. I'm just bouncing off the description in a .pdf file posted in reply to my question on this theme in a nScale.net Forum; viz and to wit

Marklin Z 0-6-0 Starter Set (5 pole?) NA 81524 $ - ? $75-$100 Battery Op. 1 car incl.

I haven't yet Googled Marklin Model 81524, but obviously should  :facepalm:

Thanks for your help.