Author Topic: BLI Announces AC6000 with Rolling Thunder  (Read 3332 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1821
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: BLI Announces AC6000 with Rolling Thunder
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »
Sounds great to me but it is DCC , no ? http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/soundcar/soundcar.php  My design would be DC , and no rail clicks , just squeals , clanks , and clunks . None of it sync'ed to voltage , amps , or speed . Just enough voltage to activate the circuit and speakers and more does nothing more . Thus or is it hence ( never could figure that out ) the price is affordable .

Yes, it is a DCC decoder, but it is also rather inexpensive (as far as sound decoders go). and IIRC, they are sold in multi-packs.  But I know what you mean - just a cheap DC-based sound unit.  However that would not really work in DCC (since the full track voltage is always present).  :trollface:
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

Big Train

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2016, 12:39:13 PM »
I really have a soft spot in my heart for the BHP Iron Ore version. I've seen one of the EMD prototypes and it looks impressive and am surprised no other N Scale manufacturer has applied this scheme on their products where appropriate, of course. Anyway, it's something for our Aussie "mates" to look forward to.

I can justify it as a motive power transfer from the builder to the seaport.

Now to start saving the $$$$

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +331
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2016, 02:20:17 PM »
Stand at the Tehachapi loop (if you can even do that any more) and tell me you can't feel the rumble of an upgrade train approaching from a half mile away.  ;)

Not sure about the half-mile part, but near the Tunnel 10 hill then definitely yes, you can feel it as the uphill train goes by.

Imagine that kind of noise coming from several models at the same time and constantly in a let's say a 10 X 20 layout room.  That will get annoying really fast.

You don't need a subwoofer for that.   The sound from existing models is plenty capable of becoming very annoying whenever you put multiple competing sources in close quarters.  Like anything else, you have to design the elements to work in harmony within a particular set of constraints.    The '10x20 room' argument is kind of a strawman, because no sane person designing for a pleasant sound experience would even think to try & make a setup like that work.  (Hey Doctor, it hurts when I do this.)

Ed

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +116
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2017, 07:30:39 PM »

And just under a year later, BLI has a test shot of the AC6000CW in N scale.  This posted Feb 13th, 2017

http://www.facebook.com/BroadwayLimited/posts/1425815100771644:0

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »

And just under a year later, BLI has a test shot of the AC6000CW in N scale.  This posted Feb 13th, 2017

http://www.facebook.com/BroadwayLimited/posts/1425815100771644:0

Looks really good and still very enticing, but still that sound only option drives me away. I'd buy at least two if I could get non-sound versions. It's all about trying to entice someone to buy their gimmicky Rolling Thunder sound system which only works with their stuff. And yes I've seen it in action, and the bass after 5 minutes and sound is very distracting, you can tell where its coming from.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:05:28 PM by EspeeGoldenState »
Attempting to model the SP in 2012...

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +141
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2017, 09:13:50 PM »
+2
I'll be waiting to purchase when they have a fire sale so I don't have to pay for the sound chip that will be removed.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +790
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2017, 09:16:45 PM »
I'll be waiting to purchase when they have a fire sale so I don't have to pay for the sound chip that will be removed.

Excellent idea

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2017, 09:52:12 PM »
The AC6000 is suopsed to be the first N Scale model to feature Paragon 3.  Hopefully it'll be a big improvement over Paragon 2.  I'm really hoping the sound will be good so I know what to look forward to when it comes to the ES44AC and SD70ACe's BLI announced awhile back.

So far the shell is looking very nice. The grabs on the front look like they are modeled in, but I guess it's just the angle of the photo.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:58:16 PM by High Hood »

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +178
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2017, 11:26:40 PM »

So far the shell is looking very nice. The grabs on the front look like they are modeled in, but I guess it's just the angle of the photo.

They look molded on to me too, not sure why you're thinking it's just the photo.

One thing to note about this shell is that it is apparently die cast, not plastic (except for some of the detail parts, obviously).  I'd say the detailing looks just as good, for what that's worth with a photo of an undecorated shell.  Curious what the mech will be like and how the shell will be isolated from the pickup.  I suppose it should be a good puller though.

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2017, 11:58:49 PM »
They look molded on to me too, not sure why you're thinking it's just the photo.

One thing to note about this shell is that it is apparently die cast, not plastic (except for some of the detail parts, obviously).  I'd say the detailing looks just as good, for what that's worth with a photo of an undecorated shell.  Curious what the mech will be like and how the shell will be isolated from the pickup.  I suppose it should be a good puller though.

I figured because other BLI locos typically have free-standing details.  If they are modeled in it looks like BLI is doing what Atlas did on their Dash 8-40CW, with free standing grabs on top of the nose and molded on grabs for the rest.