Author Topic: BLI Announces AC6000 with Rolling Thunder  (Read 5737 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: BLI Announces AC6000 with Rolling Thunder
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 06:19:54 PM »
They hinted this model at Springfield, but it wasn't enough info to post. I'm really glad they are doing this engine. I think it will be really profitable for them as these are really distinctive. CSX used these for many years as replacements to the SD80's on the Boston line. In fact I'm pretty sure Conrail tested the demonstrator on the line. The CSX units were the last new Bright Future paints, and I really like the Yellow CSX and blue outline. It really made the units pop.

2 for me. That's for sure.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 07:34:09 PM »
As  much as I need AC6000 for UP trains in 2015, picking up even one of these is likely out of range for the Idaho Belt. I just have no desire to pay extra for a feature that isn't essential and that I do not like. I've yet to hear n scale sound that I felt was worth a penny.
Peter Pfotenhauer

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 08:47:55 PM »
I was excited earlier when I first seen the announcement on Facebook, but to see we are forced to do a DCC/sound version is disheartening. I would love to pick up the SP units and most likely one of the UP numbers to renumber but with that street price I may just have to settle for one.

I seen the Rolling Thunder in action at my LHS and just wasn't impressed with it, especially for the price tag and only being able to be used for Paragon 3 locomotives.

Chris
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 09:10:38 PM »
Were the SP units real? 

I don't know what to think of the rolling thunder thing either.  I'm pretty sure I'd rather pay 40 bucks less and not have it though.

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 09:34:02 PM »
SP had an order for 3 units, 600-602, but they were waiting for the 6000 HP prime mover and alas by the time the merger happened.

The details are wrong as they most likely would have been like the AC44CWs and the C44-9Ws with the high numberboards and the deck mounted ditch lights. I've thought about getting an undec CSX unit and getting different trucks for it, and painting one up myself, but still so unsure on getting one at all.

Chris
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 10:25:16 PM »
+1
I sent em a note about whisper quiet versions, given that these engines have to comply with the federal noise reduction standards.   We will see what reply I get.
Peter Pfotenhauer

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 10:47:10 PM »
I sent em a note about whisper quiet versions, given that these engines have to comply with the federal noise reduction standards.   We will see what reply I get.

LOL!  :D

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 10:51:27 PM »
I'm a sucker for this. Sign me up for sub woofers!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 01:06:43 AM »
All I have to say about the sound system it's try it before you buy it. I've heard it in person and its horrible. Yes it has a sub but the air horns play through the sub instead of smaller tweaters. It couldn't separate needed bass from the other sound from the locomotive. We adjusted it a lot and my lhs was about to send them back lol.

Also, awesome for yet another semi modern release!  :facepalm:
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 02:02:26 AM »
Paragon 3/Rollong Thunder is just the standard sound board and speakers with the ability to add off board subs right? Do the on board speakers have the same frequency response as previous releases?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2016, 06:49:04 PM »
I just can't believe no sound-less option....

Also didn't UP have two schemes???  "We Will Deliver"??

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 06:54:34 PM »
I just can't believe no sound-less option....

Oh, they decided a while back that sound was their niche. They haven't offered non-sound powered units for at least two years, IIRC. Hence my griping above.

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 09:00:40 AM »
Ya I think the no sound option would be a big plus to selling units.  Sounds like (pun intended) that from those that have heard the rolling thunder first hand its not that good sounding.  With a high $$$ expectation are elevated. 

I'm pretty sure the received and sub woofer is optional, and if you don't have it you have all of the sounds coming from the loco.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2016, 12:14:30 PM »
+1
I heard Rolling Thunder at the Portland show in an HO steam loco (I think it was a PRR M1).
I thought it was darn impressive.  It did fade the sound up and down as the engine moved nearer or closer.

If you have a large layout, so the rep explained, you put multiple subs under the benchwork, so that
as the sound fades down from one, it comes up in another.   The sound really did appear to "follow" the engine around.
Having the higher frequencies come from the tender speaker, with the bass coming from underneath,
does work.

Having said all that... after about 5 minutes, I just wished they would turn it off.
All that racket from a locomotive is really cool... for a few minutes.   Even turned down lower
(which I asked him to do)  I wouldn't want to have to
listen to that for a half hour.  And imagine a layout with 3, 4, or 10 engines all chuffing and clattering away.
It may be realistic, but it is very fatigueing, at least to me. 

Another thing struck me as I listened to it.  As good as the sound is,
 realistic locomotive sounds coming from something 3-4 inches long does
not make it a more realistic experience to me.  It makes the engine seem more like a toy - like
a little kid putting on his father's shoes.  In fact, the more realistic the sound is, the deeper and richer
it is, and the more it sounds like a real locomotive, the more (dare I say it) ridiculous is seems.

So yes, they have solved the problem of bass, and size, and perceived location.  And after all that,
it still isn't something I would want.

That's all the more reason they really should offer non-sound options.  Not everybody likes or wants sound.
And honestly, all it requires is not putting a speaker and the "rolling thunder" decoder in there
(and charging less money... which is what they apparently don't want to do.)

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »
...(and charging less money... which is what they apparently don't want to do.)

Bingo. Sound is the hyped-up perception of added value that costs relative pennies to produce. This is the MRR equivalent of your car dealer "Scotchgarding" your upholstery, adding $250 when it costs him $10 in time and materials.

I get where they're coming from, it's a tough business and you have to make your money where you can. I think they've hit on something, however - this is a way of making niche models profitable. I mean, a Centipede is about as niche as you can get. They needed to get $250 MSRP each whether it had sound or not, the sound just giving the buyer something that "justifies" the high price for what would/should be a $150 model without the sound. :|