Author Topic: Alternatives to BLMA trucks?  (Read 1522 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +537
Alternatives to BLMA trucks?
« on: February 16, 2016, 07:33:38 PM »
I had designed my FGE 5145 boxcar around the low slung BLMA 70T RB truck. These are in very short supply. Does anyone else make an under slug mounted truck like this?
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
    • WNCRails
Re: Alternatives to BLMA trucks?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 10:20:19 PM »
My understanding is the Accumate trucks on Atlas cars ride low and work well with body mounted couplers.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +187
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 10:59:05 PM »
I was holding off on picking some of these up, then when Atlas made the announcement the supply I lined up dried up.

Hopefully Atlas will release all the BLMA trucks sooner rather than later.

Atlas Paul

• Crew
  • Respect: +334
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:29:15 AM »
+7
The BLMA inventory is on a truck on the way to us, once it gets here and we get it inventoried, we'll have it available again.  For things that were not in stock when we purchased BLMA, we will be looking at restocking them in the coming months.

Snark45

• Crew
  • But Dad, don't we EAT the antelopes?
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 09:44:14 AM »
Thanks!  That's very good news for a lot of folks.  Regards, Harry

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 09:44:22 AM »
Thank you Paul!

Ed

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 06:02:31 PM »
The BLMA inventory is on a truck on the way to us, once it gets here and we get it inventoried, we'll have it available again.  For things that were not in stock when we purchased BLMA, we will be looking at restocking them in the coming months.

:D

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +721
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 10:12:41 PM »
Thanks @Atlas Paul ! Please consider a 70 ton roller bearing with 33" wheels. Oh, and include pins!

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
    • WNCRails
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 11:32:19 PM »
70 ton roller bearing with 33" wheels

Please, oh please, get these in soon before there's an uprising in western NC!!!!  :D

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 01:40:22 AM »
Thank you Atlas!  I need a pair of 100 ton trucks, which I've been trying to order for a couple years, for one kitbashed tank car.  More would be nice, and I could probably find uses for them, but that one car HAS to have them, as it would be almost impossible to lower using the current Atlas trucks.

The kitbash is done, and the car is in service, on BLMA 70 ton trucks, but finally getting the right size will be nice. 
N Kalanaga
Be well

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +547
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 02:00:35 AM »

Feel free to stock some of your own trucks while you're at it.   ;)

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2810
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 02:33:08 AM »
Feel free to stock some of your own trucks while you're at it.   ;)

Jason

Preach on brother Beavis.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +713
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 09:12:21 AM »
OK, so it's been over a month since the announcement.

The BLMA website is pretty much unchanged.  Facebook page looks rather neglected with no recent maintenance and some questionable posts.

Everybody has their thing and reasons for caring; Craig was my supplier for kit details for my own kits, so yeah, I'm more than a little concerned on what's going to happen to the detail parts business.   Craig also gave exceptional service.   It's so some irony that my last big order of grab irons for my own conversion kits was the day before the announcement.   

If there was a plan on folding this in, it's certainly not apparent yet.   The parts stuff was the real start, and really the core competency of BLMA, and that shouldn't be neglected just because BLMA has had a few really nice cars come out - really, in many ways competing with Atlas (subliminal:  tank car).    And as much as it may not seem significant, if there's any product that Atlas has that has the kind of margins that those drop grab irons do... just sayin'.

Atlas Paul

• Crew
  • Respect: +334
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 09:26:43 AM »
+1
OK, so it's been over a month since the announcement.

The BLMA website is pretty much unchanged.  Facebook page looks rather neglected with no recent maintenance and some questionable posts.

Everybody has their thing and reasons for caring; Craig was my supplier for kit details for my own kits, so yeah, I'm more than a little concerned on what's going to happen to the detail parts business.   Craig also gave exceptional service.   It's so some irony that my last big order of grab irons for my own conversion kits was the day before the announcement.   

If there was a plan on folding this in, it's certainly not apparent yet.   The parts stuff was the real start, and really the core competency of BLMA, and that shouldn't be neglected just because BLMA has had a few really nice cars come out - really, in many ways competing with Atlas (subliminal:  tank car).    And as much as it may not seem significant, if there's any product that Atlas has that has the kind of margins that those drop grab irons do... just sayin'.

If you look at the announcement, you will see that it says "Atlas agrees to purchase..."  There was all kinds of legal machinations that needed to be taken care of before the purchase was completed, so certain things could not happen until these were handled properly.

As far as the products in the BLMA line, we do intend to keep them going, including the detail parts, and this has been stated numerous times.  There is an arrangement in place with Craig to keep him on as a consultant for the next few  years, to both help with his existing product line as well as with things that he had lined up for the future. 

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 10:08:55 AM »
+1
Paul,, thanks for the info. No hear say involved straight from the 6's mouth.

wyt