Author Topic: RDC sound options  (Read 2093 times)

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
RDC sound options
« on: February 14, 2016, 02:10:48 PM »
I have a Kato RDC3 that I just finished painting into B&M and was thinking of putting in a sound decoder. Has anyone put sound into an RDC? I looked at Digitrax and they have the SDXN136PS that you can upload the RDC sound to but I would really like to have LokSound but did not see a sound file for the RDC. Any input here would be of great help.

Thanks, Jon

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
Re: RDC sound options
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 07:42:45 PM »
hmmm.......................sound of crickets is all I hear.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 08:54:43 PM »
hmmm.......................sound of crickets is all I hear.

That is the sound most RDCs make nowadays.  :D

I know that QSI Titan decoders have the RDC sound as an option, but they are rather large. Not sure if you would be able to squeeze one in the RDC.
. . . 42 . . .

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 09:32:17 PM »
You might consider waiting until Rapido releases their HO RDC.  They have been using Loksound decoders and will no doubt make the most accurate sound file possible.  I know they sell decoders on their website and may very well offer the RDC version as well.

Craig

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 10:15:24 PM »
Yeah I thought about Rapido coming out with it in HO and am hoping they do a downloadable sound file for it that we can use for N scale. Did not know about the QSI Titan so I'll have to check it out for specs to see if it will fit with some modifications. The only sound file I could find was on Digitrax for their SDXN136PS. Just not real happy with their sound decoder.

Thanks for the info guys.
Jon

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 10:38:31 PM »
That is the sound most RDCs make nowadays.  :D

I know that QSI Titan decoders have the RDC sound as an option, but they are rather large. Not sure if you would be able to squeeze one in the RDC.

Pete,
Went to the QSI web site and found that the sound files that they have for an RDC are for the older Quantum Revolution Decoders.

THESE FILES ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH TITAN SERIES DECODERS. ATTEMPTING TO LOAD THESE FILES ONTO A TITAN DECODER WILL DAMAGE THE FLASH MEMORY RENDERING THE DECODER DEAD. :scared:
Unfortunatly Budd RDC
Sound File#1112-720
Version: 8.9.8
is not available yet. :(
Haven't checked the specs yet but a quick look me thinks it might fit. ;)

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 10:41:09 PM »
Yeah I thought about Rapido coming out with it in HO and am hoping they do a downloadable sound file for it that we can use for N scale. Did not know about the QSI Titan so I'll have to check it out for specs to see if it will fit with some modifications. The only sound file I could find was on Digitrax for their SDXN136PS. Just not real happy with their sound decoder.

Thanks for the info guys.
Jon

I love QSI decoders (for steam engines) but I have never tired the Diesel sounds in them. They can be shoehorned into N scale tenders but might be a bit too large for the RDCs.  They were originally going to come out with an N scale decoder (using their older Revolution chipset) but they never did.  The problem with the Titan is that the custom-made processor chip they use is so large that the circuit board can't be made narrower.  I have spoken to them about this and the only way is to produce a new, smaller-footprint chip.  But that is very expensive and not likely to happen unless they find an N scale model manufacturer to order a large quantity of those decoders from QSI.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:44:01 PM »

Pete,
Went to the QSI web site and found that the sound files that they have for an RDC are for the older Quantum Revolution Decoders.
Unfortunatly Budd RDC
Sound File#1112-720
Version: 8.9.8
is not available yet. :(
Haven't checked the specs yet but a quick look me thinks it might fit. ;)

That is correct, those are ported  older Revolution sounds to Titan. So they won't have the super-quality of the stereo Titan ET sounds, but are still usable.
http://www.qsisolutions.com/#!q2-fx-files-main/cw6h

The other possibility is to set up a search for QSI Revolution-UW or -U decoder on eBay and pick one up at a bargain price. They don't come up very often though (ask me how I know).  :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:48:51 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 01:03:18 AM »
Kato did a Kobo B&M RDC and they used a Loksound decoder.  You may want to ping Loksound via email.

FWIW, real RDCs were actually pretty quiet.

-Dave

Frank Klein

• Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 10:21:29 PM »
HI is this what your looking for?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 11:51:25 PM »
Kato did a Kobo B&M RDC and they used a Loksound decoder.  You may want to ping Loksound via email.

FWIW, real RDCs were actually pretty quiet.

-Dave

They did B&M with sound?  I thought it was the Jet-powered New York Central RDC.
. . . 42 . . .

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 11:06:32 PM »
They did B&M with sound?  I thought it was the Jet-powered New York Central RDC.

Yup, they did a run of Kobo B&M units as well.