Author Topic: Kato Unitrack #4 Turnout Questions  (Read 1905 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Kato Unitrack #4 Turnout Questions
« on: February 09, 2016, 04:59:40 PM »
I was looking at Kato Unitrack on MB Klein's website, and I saw that Kato's #4 turnouts cost $7 more than their #6s. What gives?

Hmm... Kiz ain't giving
the extra $7...

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:25:18 PM by GaryHinshaw »
Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

C62-2

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
Re: Kato Unitrack #4 Turnout Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 05:06:28 PM »
The #4's come with some extra pieces of track to fit into different geometries, and have some switches on the bottom to control whether they're power routing or not.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 05:08:20 PM »
...and they have the option of having the frog powered or not
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »
Maybe the #6 ones are from an older production runs (leftover stock at MBK) and the #4 are recent run (maybe Kato raised their prices)?
. . . 42 . . .

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:13:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies. That makes sense.

Hmm... because Kiz
didn't say it...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
"It works! It works!"

powersteamguy1790

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 05:23:58 PM »
I was looking at Kato Unitrack on MB Klein's website, and I saw that Kato's #4 turnouts cost $7 more than their #6s. What gives?

Hmm... Kiz ain't giving
the extra $7...

Kiz:

The Kato Unitrack #4 switches were always more expensive than the #6 switch going back to at least 2001 when I first became involved with Unitrack for the reasons Arbomambo and C62-2 Cited in their posts.

Have fun with it...... 8) 8)

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 07:36:42 PM »
I've read lots of bad things about Kato Unitrack #4 turnouts giving lots of problems. Is this true or not? If true, what are some common problems?

Hmm... inquiring minds
want to know...

"It works! It works!"

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 07:47:43 PM »
I have had a good experience with mine... they will handle just about anything I run, including 89' cars and AC4400's. The only issue I had was figuring out that 1) they are power routing and 2) how to turn that option off. Otherwise, no issues.

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 12:40:59 PM »

The no.4 comes with several additional pieces of track, while the no.6 is just the switch. Kato has raised prices recently, as I had purchased a couple no.4's a while back for less than $30, now they around $35.

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 02:42:06 PM »
The no.4 comes with several additional pieces of track, while the no.6 is just the switch....

From what I read on Kato's webpage, I got the impression the #6 switch came with a section of 28-1/4" curve track (tucked under the switch) to facilitate making passing sidings easier. See:

http://katousa.com/PDF/N-Unitrack.pdf

The description for the #6 turnout says "with 28-1/4" curve."

Hmm... confusing, to
say the least...

"It works! It works!"

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 03:21:01 PM »

It's confusing, but what it means is that the curved portion of the switch is a 28-1/4" radius curve.  If you are adding the switch to an existing layout, then you can replace a curved section of that radius with the switch.  And vice-versa if you are taking the switch out.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 03:30:07 PM »
It's confusing, but what it means is that the curved portion of the switch is a 28-1/4" radius curve.  If you are adding the switch to an existing layout, then you can replace a curved section of that radius with the switch.  And vice-versa if you are taking the switch out.

Ahh, okay.

Hmm... who wants to join
my class action lawsuit
against Kato...

"It works! It works!"

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 04:42:57 PM »
I've read lots of bad things about Kato Unitrack #4 turnouts giving lots of problems. Is this true or not? If true, what are some common problems?

Hmm... inquiring minds
want to know...

Vincent,
The biggest issue is that the points will catch the wheel flange from time to time especially when backing up. The rails on the #6 have an indentation so that the point is almost flush with the rail. The fix isn't too hard as you can make your own indent and/or file the points. It doesn't happen to all the #4s, but you won't have a hard time finding the ones that it does.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 07:00:46 PM »
a while back, John Sing presented a nice article on fixing the issue with the Kato No. 4 turnouts (not all of the turnouts exhibited this issue)...the fix was well documented and showed up from time to time when this topic was introduced again. It's a fix that could be done to any turnout to help guarantee solid performance when there are point rail to stock rail 'closure' issues...
 I created a small video and posted it to Youtube, documenting my using this technique to improve the no 4 turnouts I'm using for the T-Trak modules...

/>
 This is the turnout shown in the previous video tutorial, ballasted and scenery added; it has provided hours and hours of trouble free service, with all manner of rolling stock and power.

"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/