Author Topic: Modeling a mid 70's Amtrak E unit  (Read 3188 times)

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
Re: Modeling a mid 70's Amtrak E unit
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 03:42:29 PM »
Thanks for the info arbomambo!

I got the castings today, and will try to post some phone photos of them later. They look like I will need to cut off the Kato pilot entirely and get a set of MT's to replace the Kato coupler parts.

On the proto info side, my understanding is that Amtrak added the plows, and maybe the icicle breakers. I'm not planning to fiddle with the breakers because it seems once the units got reassigned to Cleburne for a while a while, they were removed. They used units in pairs both because of engine reliability and steam generator reliability issues. The Inter American ran over the MoPac, which slapped a 40 to 60 mph speed restriction on the train from when it started in 1973 until 1978 or so. The MP also supposedly hated SDP40F's, and I have only seen one or two photos of them on the Inter American. But they only needed one when they were assigned!

I'll eventually be back looking for the best way to replace the side panels where the portholes were blanked and where on earth to find the UP snowshields on N scale (I already called Broadway Limited's parts department and came up empty).

squirrelhunter

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 11:37:00 PM »
Ok, so no pictures right now but I got the pilot on and was able to keep the original Kato coupler. Its the nicer newer 2 piece one, so I'm happy with that.

No pictures because I have been hustling all week trying to get a T Trak module ready for the World's Greatest Hobby show in San Antonio, the AustNtrak crew plus some other N scale clubs are trying to break the record for the longest T Trak setup ever.

I also needed to get this unit track ready because it's my only passenger diesel, and I was not going to take my Kato El Capitan out on the main without a source of steam heat!

Bottom line, I highly recommend the Showcase Miniatures pilot plow.

Next steps after the show- replacing the stirrup steps and removing the fuel tank skirting. I'm open to suggestions for keeping the tank attacked after I cut off the skirts, which also have the mounting tabs for the fuel tank.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »
Are you with the AustNTrak group?
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

squirrelhunter

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 12:01:19 AM »
arbomambo, I was with the AustNtrak group at the World's Greatest Hobby Show in San Antonio this weekend. The T Trak setup was shooting for the biggest ever, unofficial tally was 15.6 scale miles of modules.

Here is a workbench shot for my E unit, Friday night after I had mostly removed the original pilot.

Here are a few shots of the new Showcase Miniatures plow pilot installed.

I only have my phone's camera, and poor lighting since it was overcast and drizzling outside. Maybe in a few days if we have better weather I can take better shots.

squirrelhunter

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 12:36:06 PM »
Ok, bringing this one back from the dead...

I got my Gold Medal Models stirrups in, so I'm hoping to replaced the rest of the molded on ones tonight or tomorrow.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 01:24:17 AM »
Mike:  E's didn't run through Pasco on the Empire Builder, but like the UP, the ex-BN F's were also in good condition.  After Amtrak was through with them, most were regeared and repainted, serving several more years in freight service.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 01:45:20 AM »
               :|    SP Style Icebreakers were added to ex UP units by Amquack (trak) when they were used on the SFZ through the snow sheds on the SP. Long after they were transferred to other routes the breakers remained as did the homemade vent shields that UP applied, on some of the units. A great train to model one E-8/9 the former EL Cap high level step-down car and the sleeper. A nice photo find. Nate Goodman (Nato).   :|