Author Topic: Bachmann SD 45 top speed  (Read 803 times)

djconway

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
Bachmann SD 45 top speed
« on: February 08, 2016, 11:23:06 PM »
I picked up a Bachmann SD 45 at the Amherst show 1-30.  It sounds OK but the speed tops out at 42smph. Are any  others seeing this? I've tried programing the speed tables and setting forward a d reverse trim but the best I've been able to do is get the speed up to 42smph. 

Anyone have better luck?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1999
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Bachmann SD 45 top speed
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 12:14:46 AM »
What decoder is in that thing? If it is the standard Bachmann decoder, it is very basic - no CV 2, 5, and 6, and no speed tables.  How fast does it run on DC (at 12V or max throttle)?
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

nscaler711

• Crew
  • Oh Hi, How are you? Because I'm a Potato.
  • Respect: +32
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 05:42:36 AM »
Soundtraxx...  Under "Soundvalue"
Science isn't about why, it's about why not. Why is so much of our science dangerous? Why not marry safe science if you love it so much? In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired! Not you, test subject, you're doing fine.

djconway

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »
What decoder is in that thing? If it is the standard Bachmann decoder, it is very basic - no CV 2, 5, and 6, and no speed tables.  How fast does it run on DC (at 12V or max throttle)?

It is the stock Bachmann sound decoder, factory installed. Sound Value SoundTraxx - looking for more/better programming info.
I'll have to see if I can find one of my old DC throttles.  Usually test DC operations with a 7.5V power supply (with over 45 years of RR stuff in the basement I should be able to find something. :D )

More testing results later ---

djconway

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 10:17:08 PM »
Well got the OLD Control Master X out of hiding and ran some speed trials.
A little surprised by the curve but they were reproducible.

A little background:
Kato 11" radius curves with 12.5" straight connecting to make a 118" per lap flat oval.
Volt meter and stop watch, loco with 10 cars  and a caboose.

Ran the loco approximately 15 minutes to warm it up (cold basement).
Started by setting the CM-X to 12 volts, and timed the loco through 4 laps to get an average speed.  I noticed a +/- 0.1 volt fluctuation, that seemed to get less as time went on, CM-X not used since I went to DCC in '97.

Results in the attached table & graph.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1999
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 10:52:28 PM »
Um, since this is a sound decoder (which I didn't know when I asked to try it on DC), the test is not very useful.  As you know (and verified now), sound decoders need a fairly high voltage to initialize before even starting to run the motor.  Non-Sound decoders OTOH should be almost transparent when running in DC.

I have an Athearn sound-equipped F45 loco which needs around 9V DC before it even starts moving and it needs around 18V to move at a decent speed (I didn't figure out the actual scale speed).  I haven't tried running it in DCC mode yet (got busy with other project).

I have never worked with the Soundtraxx decoder in that loco so I can't really commend further in its performance. I agree that it does seem rather slow.  Next thing to do would be to remove the decoder out of the circuit and try the loco as a pure DC model, but that would require some additional tinkering. Hopefully, before you resort to that, maybe someone who also owns this specific model will chime in with their experience.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

djconway

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 11:31:33 PM »
I haven't popped the hood off this one (yet), but that may be the nest step. Clean, lube, look for binds, a general tune up.

Bachmann site isn't much help either, I can't find specific instructions for the SD45 sound loco.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +544
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 11:35:34 PM »

Bachmann site isn't much help either, I can't find specific instructions for the SD45 sound loco.

Isn't it just a 'Sound Value on Board" loco?

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/images/Sound-Value-Decoder-Quick-Start-Guide.pdf

Jason

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 09:08:33 PM »
My SD45 also has a noticeably slower top speed, although I have not measured it.  I ran it for a few hours during an Open House today, MU'd with a pair of Life-Like C424's that have TCS CN decoders in them. For whatever reason, those were the only ones in my stable that were closely speed-matched to the new Bachmann unit. I don't know if it is due to the decoder or if it a new motor / gear design that results in the slower top speed.

I found nothing useful on the SoundTraxx website other than the list of CV default settings.

Otherwise, I am highly impressed with the appearance and the details of the Bachmann SD45. Too bad they don't offer a non-sound version.

Ron
ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...