Author Topic: N Scale in Home Decorating?  (Read 2394 times)

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
Re: N Scale in Home Decorating?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 12:01:22 AM »
Looks like the table train is mostly Bachmann equipment. Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

The loco certainly is.  Also about five of the cars.  The rest are Micro-Trains and a few might be Deluxe Innovations or Atlas.  Those Bachmann cars are from the original Empire Builder train set that was used for the original Xmas layout. That's what started all of this. 

Those and about 6 passenger cars are the only Bachmann cars I own but the four steamers I have are all Bachmann at this point.  I have about two hundred or so cars so far and they are mostly Micro-Trains with a smattering of Atlas, Deluxe Innovations, Rivarrossi Heavyweights, an odd Kato, and even an old Arnold Bobber Caboose.  Also have twenty or thirty Shapeways Nn3 pieces that are mostly coal mine related.  Tippers, man trip cars, and the like.  I will eventually be making a fair variety of coal mine equipment to my own designs but that's still down the road. 8)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:12:53 AM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 12:27:07 AM »
If today's Bachmann is like the stuff I bought 40 years ago, it isn't the best looking, but could well be the most durable available, and it DID stay on the track, as long as one avoided fancy trackwork with small rail.  That's the stuff one would want here.
N Kalanaga
Be well

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 01:23:13 AM »
Yes, those Bachmanns have always just run and for the Xmas layout where kids can get at them, same potential problem with this oval, they are fine and don't look bad cycling around.  But when you really look at them compared to a Micro-Trains or better it quickly becomes apparent how clubby they are.
Mark G.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 01:32:25 AM »
+1
For display layouts aimed at non-modelers "runs fine" is what really matters.  Kids, and most adults, wouldn't see the difference between a "toy train" and a "scale model" anyway, especially if they're not sitting side-by-side.
N Kalanaga
Be well

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 01:35:49 AM »
Anyway, just what is the proper car to run with fish?  And what about Brussel Sprouts? :? 
Mark G.

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +127
    • IG
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 02:55:40 AM »
+1
Anyway, just what is the proper car to run with fish?  And what about Brussel Sprouts? :?
The answer is a Reefer.  :D
Both product would be shipped cold... Fish most likely on ice/frozen.
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +985
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 08:16:04 AM »
+1
The answer is a Reefer.  :D
Both product would be shipped cold... Fish most likely on ice/frozen.

Don't forget the appetizers.....
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.