Author Topic: Third Atlantic City N Scale Gathering: April 22nd, 23rd and 24th, 2016  (Read 3986 times)

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
It is that time of year again, and on behalf of the Atlantic County 4-H Model Railroad Club, I would like to cordially invite the members of this forum to attend the third Atlantic City N Scale Gathering! Our first two shows were deemed enough of a success by our organizers that we have been approved to host it again!

Many of the previous year's concerns are being addressed for this year’s show, including the quantity of advertising, as well as the date conflictions that plagued us two years ago. Also of interest is our adoption of social media as an advertising outlet (more on that later).

As with previous years, this event is designed to introduce and raise awareness about N scale to the general public and future modelers, as well as give East Coast-based modelers who do not have the opportunity to travel to some of the larger N Scale-only conventions held throughout the years the feel of attending an N Scale only event.

Several operating layouts will be presented by several of the area's N-Trak groups, as well as the Atlantic County 4-H's own Model Railroad Club's home and modular layouts. Everyone who attends this event is encouraged to bring their own N Scale trains and equipment to operate on these layouts. Both DC and DCC Digital locomotives can be accommodated. Even if you have something to just show-off, bring it out to the show and converse amongst your fellow N Scale modelers.

I have been told specifically to stress the operations aspect of this event, as to remind you that all members of the public are welcome to run on any of the featured club layouts. With that being said, make sure you bring your equipment to ensure that you get the most out of your visit.

Several vendors selling exclusively N Scale related merchandise, such as locomotives, rolling stock, structures, power supplies, etcetera, will also be present. A DCC Digital expert vendor Yankee Dabbler will also be on site, so if you have the need for anything digital, they will try their best to accommodate you. This event will be a great opportunity to search for that perfect N scale item. In addition to vendors of N Scale merchandise, food vendors will also be present (food items subject to additional costs).

Admission costs of this event are nonexistent (I.E. Free). As stated previously, this event is intended to give the overall feel of an N scale convention, so you are only required to bring yourself, and if you can, trains to run. No money is required to run, but donations are accepted. All proceeds benefit the Atlantic County 4-H model railroad club. Just be sure that if you plan on visiting the vendors, you bring the money required to buy that item you fall in love with!

Also, as in previous years, vendor and exhibitor spaces/tables and hookups are free of charge. If you require special accommodations, please contact us at through the below methods.

The following videos provide a taste of the trains run at last-year’s event. All credit goes to the New Jersey Southern (NJS) N-Trak club’s official videographer:

The technical details of the event for both visitors and exhibitors are as follows:

This event will take place at the Atlantic County 4-H Building on the Atlantic County 4-H Fairgrounds, located in Egg Harbor City, NJ, which is located approximately 20 miles (24 minutes) from Atlantic City, NJ, and 45 miles (47 minutes) from Philadelphia, PA. The address is as follows, and screenshots of maps are included as reference:

3210 New Jersey Route 50, South Egg Harbor, NJ 082150

The Event will be a total of three days for vendors/exhibitors, and two for the general public. An itinerary of events is as follows:

Friday, April 22, 2016 (Vendors and Exhibitors Only)
-Building Opens at 12:00 Noon, but closes at approximately 10:00 PM (No Public Access)

Saturday, April 23, 2016 (First Day)
- Doors open at 8:00 AM for Exhibitors.
- The show is open to the public starting at 10:00 AM, and closes to the public at 4:00 PM.
- Starting at 4:00 PM, vendors and exhibitors are permitted to run trains freely on club layouts until 5:00PM.
- At 5:00 PM, members of the 4-H Model Railroad Club will be hosting a dinner for all vendors, exhibitors, and members of the general public who remain. Dinner will be provided by the 4-H Model Railroad Club and cost will be $8.00 per head (all proceeds benefit the 4-H model railroad club).
- At the close of dinner, layouts will re-open and everyone is invited to continue running trains on any of the several operating layouts.

Sunday, April 24, 2016 (Second Day)
- Doors open at 8:00 AM for Exhibitors.
- The show is open to the public starting at 10:00 AM, and closes to the public at 3:00 PM.
- At 3:00 PM, the doors close to the public, and layout and vendor cleanup begins.

*Hotel accommodations are still being made for vendors who require them. Details will be released as they become available.*

I will continue to post updates to this thread once new information becomes available, and encourage you to post in this thread in regards to any questions or concerns you may have, or if you just need something clarified. Also feel free to PM me with any concerns. as stated previously, we are currently working on expanding our social media outlets, so make sure to be on the lookout for updates concerning that. The following addresses may be of some help as well:

General Questions:                                 acnscalegathering@gmail.com
                                                               christianjdavis1@aol.com
Layout/Participant Information:              njsntrak@gmail.com
                                                               sd40blue@verizon.net
                                                               (609) 234 - 6843      (Erik Seidelmann)
Vendor Information:                               kernc101@comcast.net
                                                               (609) 517 - 8849      (John Kern)

I thank you for taking the time to read this and hope you can attend!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:50:37 AM by ChristianJDavis1 »
- Christian J. Davis

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
Re: Third Atlantic City N Scale Gathering: April 22nd, 23rd and 24th, 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 06:36:35 PM »
Bump. The Facebook page is still under construction, but once it is finished, I will link to it here.
- Christian J. Davis

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 12:26:37 AM »
I might make that trip from Pittsburgh area.  :)  I seldom get to go to shows, especially N scale, due to scheduling conflicts with my retirement job.
Mark G.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 12:31:10 AM »
I might make that trip from Pittsburgh area.  :)

That would be very appreciated! I will be wandering around both days likely doing odd jobs, so I hope to see you around. Do not forget to bring something to run while you are here (assuming you are interested in operating).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:33:00 AM by ChristianJDavis1 »
- Christian J. Davis

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:13:38 AM »
Will you have any Narrow Gauge?  Or just Z track?
Mark G.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:46:55 AM »

To be completely honest, I do not know if any of our attending clubs has any narrow gauge trackage available. It would be rather interesting if they do. Railwire member @VonRyan has a narrow gauge micro layout, but I am not sure whether or not he is bringing it. I will try and see what we can do.
- Christian J. Davis

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 10:43:41 AM »
Update! Hotel and Lodging information are currently the same as last year. Details are as follows:

Days Hotel Egg Harbor Township - Pleasantville - Atlantic City
6708 Tilton Road, at Fire Road intersection, Egg Harbor Township, NJ 08234
Rates: 2 Double or 1 Queen (accessible) = $78.19
14 minutes to 4-H Fairgrounds via AC Expressway and Garden State Parkway (toll)
20 Minutes via local roads

Howard Johnson Atlantic City - Egg Harbor Township
6817 Black Horse Pike, Egg Harbor Township, NJ 08234
Rates: I King = $57.49, 2 Double or 1 King Business = $68.99
13 minutes to 4-H Fairgrounds via AC Expressway and Garden State Parkway (toll)
18 Minutes via local roads

Holiday Inn Express West Atlantic City
6811 Black Horse Pike, Egg Harbor Township, NJ 08234
Rates: 2 double = $77.52
13 minutes to 4-H Fairgrounds via AC Expressway and Garden State Parkway (toll)
18 Minutes via local roads

Holiday Inn Express Absecon - Atlantic City Area
655 White Horse Pike Route 30 East, Absecon, NJ 08201
Rates: 1 King = $89.30
14 minutes to 4-H Fairgrounds via White Horse Pike

RV space is available at the Fairgrounds (no hook - up).

There are several local campgrounds that offer trailer and cabin rental.
If you are interested in either of the camping options, please contact John Kern at (609) 517-8849.

A big "thank you" for event coordinator John Kern for getting this information for us.
- Christian J. Davis

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 03:46:30 PM »

I'll have my Irish Nn3 layout "Killashandra" with me on display.
By the time the Gathering rolls around it's scenery should be 98% finished.

It has a PWM throttle that can handle an input power of anywhere from 2v to 15v and will put out almost exactly as much as the input power, but I can easily accommodate any other throttle and/or power source.

Bring some Nn3 stuff with you @narrowminded and you're more than welcome to run it on Killashandra.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 11:57:32 AM »
I'll have my Irish Nn3 layout "Killashandra" with me on display.
By the time the Gathering rolls around it's scenery should be 98% finished.

It has a PWM throttle that can handle an input power of anywhere from 2v to 15v and will put out almost exactly as much as the input power, but I can easily accommodate any other throttle and/or power source.

Bring some Nn3 stuff with you @narrowminded and you're more than welcome to run it on Killashandra.

Thank you, Cody. We have also been offered the use of one of the 4-H model railroad club's members personal projects, a Z scale layout, to use for narrow gauge running as well. Now we have a choice of narrow gauge options.
- Christian J. Davis

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 10:45:12 PM »
That sounds good... IF I can make it.  I would love to see your small layout, Cody. 8)
Mark G.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 02:50:48 PM »
Bump.
- Christian J. Davis

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 03:37:21 PM »
Bump. Vendor list is still growing. Will make the list available here in the coming weeks. There is still plenty of space available if anyone is interested, though.
- Christian J. Davis

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 11:30:29 AM »
Bump.
- Christian J. Davis

PennsyPride

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 02:46:08 PM »
Many of the previous year's concerns are being addressed for this year’s show, including the quantity of advertising, as well as the date conflictions that plagued us two years ago.

Have to decide between this or the Timonium show. Went last year and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately can not due one show Saturday and one show Sunday this year. May just have to flip a coin. 

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 03:07:31 PM »
Have to decide between this or the Timonium show. Went last year and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately can not due one show Saturday and one show Sunday this year. May just have to flip a coin.

Even if you cannot make it this year, thank you for your attendance last year and your consideration for this year. We will have new vendors this year and new layouts (the plans for I will post soon). Whatever you choose, I hope you have a fun time.

Also, if you have any suggestions for this year's show, I would love to hear them. We are trying everything we can to make each show better than the last.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:09:33 PM by ChristianJDavis1 »
- Christian J. Davis