Author Topic: Scale Trains 53ft Intermodal containers  (Read 1820 times)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: Scale Trains 53ft Intermodal containers
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 06:43:30 PM »
Ugh, those look very nice but dang.....it seems like we're gonna get every container ever made, designed, dreamed about, or thought about before we get one of the (if not THE) most ubiquitous, 15-year+ life span container ever...the old school JBHunt 53ft platewall-esque boxes.

I'm glad to see these though....they'll be very popular with ultra-modern types, and I'm happy to see a new player in the game.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 07:42:43 PM »
Ugh, those look very nice but dang.....it seems like we're gonna get every container ever made, designed, dreamed about, or thought about before we get one of the (if not THE) most ubiquitous, 15-year+ life span container ever...the old school JBHunt 53ft platewall-esque boxes.

Agreed - but you're now looking at ~20 years, with about 13,000 plate wall containers delivered to Hunt (by 4 builders) between 93-98 before they switched to the similarly popular composite plate wall (ie Wabash's Duraplate). Both types are still common on the rails today amongst the corrugated steel types.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

James Costello

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 08:00:13 PM »
+1
As far as the prototypes go, Hunt got their first corrugated steel containers back in 2006 with orders from CIMC, Singamas and Jindo.
Here's some CIMC's straight off the boat in 2006:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiveThumbs.aspx?id=13144

Up until 2010, Hunt has received about 11,000 steel cans and about 2/3rds of these are from CIMC.

The vast majority of these appear to be Type HC53-20A with 8-58-8 side corrugations.

The same records also suggest Schneider also got 8-58-8 steel corrugated containers from CIMC from 2009, but I need to look into this a little more - looks like they also got some steel cans in 2007 but the builder isn't identified.

FWIW, I haven't examined the models, photos or artwork to consider variations in the nose wall or doors to on the prototype. Yet.  8)
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 08:21:53 PM »
James, did your project to get early JBH containers put into CAD ever move any further? 
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

James Costello

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 08:57:32 PM »
James, did your project to get early JBH containers put into CAD ever move any further?

It did, so there is still some hope for us 90's era guys. Progress is slow though.....
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 11:02:31 PM »
As far as the prototypes go, Hunt got their first corrugated steel containers back in 2006 with orders from CIMC, Singamas and Jindo.
Here's some CIMC's straight off the boat in 2006:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiveThumbs.aspx?id=13144

James,

Thank you!  It looks like at least one of the JB Hunt numbers will definitely work for 2006.   :)

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 11:16:39 PM »
+2
I spoke with one of the Scale Trains sales reps this weekend and he said that these containers were designed to fit into Kato well cars and interlock with Kato containers.  I just figured that this info might be useful.
. . . 42 . . .