Author Topic: Headend cars at stubend terminals, such as Dearborn Station  (Read 990 times)

Upstate Gator

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Headend cars at stubend terminals, such as Dearborn Station
« on: January 22, 2016, 04:02:17 PM »
When a train such as the Chief or Grand Canyon arrived at its final destination at a stubend terminal (Dearborn Station in this example), would the headend cars have been cut off before pulling into the terminal or would passengers have had to walk past them when de-training, or was adherence to the timetable the governing factor?
Ben
Fairport, NY

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
Re: Headend cars at stubend terminals, such as Dearborn Station
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 01:03:28 AM »
I suspect it depended on the station layout, and the railroad's operating practices.  Another option would be a "back in" station, where the incoming train could be turned before backing in, leaving the rear of the train next to the terminal building.  Since the train would have to be turned before it could head out again, might as well do it on arrival, rather than pull in, unload, back out, turn, back in again, then load for departure.  If the cars could be serviced at the platform, this would work fine.  If not, maybe not so convenient.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 03:06:34 PM »
Norfolk Southern turned their passenger trains coming into Washington station.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 04:03:09 PM »
Santa Fe trains arrived with the head end equipment at Dearborn station. The train was later pulled out backwards by the station switcher. The Fairbanks that used to be the Dearborn switcher is preserved at IRM. The ATSF had dedicated M/E trains to do most of the work , most head end cars were postal cars and passenger baggage.

Randy

Upstate Gator

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 04:13:20 PM »
Thanks Randy. That was my assumption.
Ben

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 04:43:47 PM »
There has to be some You Tube video available to provide a definative answer .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 05:32:25 PM »
Personal recollection (yep, I am THAT old), plus photos indicate that ATSF trains came in nose first.  The Stanger book that covers Chicago-KC has a photo of the Super Chief backing out after unloading, with 4 F units and 4 head end cars (baggage-rpo-rpo-baggage- so I am guessing the first baggage was storage mail).  I think that was an unusual amount of mail for the Super even in the late 50s.  But not especially unusual for some trains to have 5 head end cars- so yes, you did have a bit of a walk, and might find yourself out in the rain past the cover of the platforms.  I know there were issues with the city over the blockage of streets south of Dearborn, by longer trains, and restrictions on how long the train could be there.  There was a turning loop south of Dearborn, not sure it ATSF used it, as their coach yard and engine facilities would have let them shuffle the train, and they would change out diners and occasionally rotate other equipment in and out of consists- so the #17 that left was not necessarily exactly the same as the #18 that cane in.

That said, when they could, some of the heavy head end trains like the Grand Canyon might well run in 2 or 3 sections, with one section running almost as a mail & express train, with perhaps a few coaches, and the other section one baggage car for personal baggage, and the others all passenger cars.  I think it was also common practice to cut some eastbound head end off at KC, and run it in to Chicago on the Fast Mail.  If only because the Dearborn stubs were really pretty short, and trains longer than 17 or 18 cars fouled the switching in and out of the station.

Tom D
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 05:50:15 PM »
There has to be some You Tube video available to provide a definative answer .

Movies by Emery Goulash would be a good start.

Randy

Spikre

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 02:18:30 PM »
 :)
   Erie/EL trains went rite into Dearborn,then would be pulled
   out by the C&WI RS-1 working the station.
   never did get to ride into Dearborn,but did ride out once.
  the train had the locos up front,and was ready to go.the train
  was built before getting shoved into Dearborn.
   too bad that isn't possible any more.
       Spikre
         :)