Author Topic: Essex branch HO v4  (Read 39444 times)

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
Re: New England Mud Season HO shelf
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2016, 04:37:08 PM »
4:30 update: here is where I am so far. Got the new benchwork done, mounted and began laying out the bridge with the new piers/abutments. good height without cutting anything (which is a plus). I need to get another piece of masonite for the river surface (what you see are 4" strips I ripped for fascia around the staging). I would rather not plaster and fill a joint there so going to have HD cut me a 10" wide piece from one of their smaller 2x4 sheets (i have so much ripped masonite laying around...dont need another 4x8 taking up space!). Will hope to get through roughing the bridge area land forms in today, as well as relaying track where it needs to go. Currently the new bridge is in my building jigs drying. Will give it a base coat of my rust brown I used on the other bridge. Having long periods to work makes these projects seem a bit more manageable then grabbing an hour or less here and there during the work week.

Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

nuno81291

• Crew
Re: Guilford/MA HO shelf
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2016, 02:37:06 PM »
The staging yard grew to 4 thru tracks and 2 stubs. Ballasting, painting, weathering so I can put my couches back in their respective homes.

nuno81291

• Crew
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »
So I mulled over my options for switch machines and am going to go with tortoises. Owning 7 from a previous layout is a factor. I will order the additional 8. I am getting increasingly interested in jmri and perhaps some form of signaling. I have read into it a little bit but wanted to ask if anyone has a recommendation on a dcc controller for my 15 switches. I would like to set up routes through staging or aligning the siding by the station. I would also like physical switches on the fascia, not necessarily with indication lighting. I am trying to better understand how someone would split a layout into blocks such as mine.... Anyways while I do more research on understanding signaling I am seeking advice on what hardware would help integrate my switch machines with dcc control. I looked at the nce switch8, but perhaps someone can recommend a better product to look into?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:56:46 PM by nuno81291 »

nuno81291

• Crew
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2016, 07:53:56 PM »

Here is a diagram of the track plan. I want to do some form of automatic signaling/detection on the on scene portion of the layout. I marked potential signal locations per my research. GRS and MBTA run CTC and all my reference photos show triple searchlights in use. I don't care for strict adherence to this signaling and would like to use double searchlights (the rules for these signals appear to be much simpler than 3 lights) as well as dwarf signals.

I understand the general convention is signals on the right hand side of the track, I have a situation by the bridge scene/ abutting industry where I didn't really leave enough space for the signal, if I stick the signal on the left hand side would I be ostracized by the rail wire asshats? I could only find one instance in Deerfield yard where a signal was on the left hand side. Since the main stays the left side (by station, not the passing siding) I figure this would be acceptable by myself.

Would industries have their own signals? Seems redundant in this scenario,I haven't been able to find an example of it with guilford/MBTA territory.

As far as what type of detection I am up in the air as they all seem equally costly with perhaps current sensing being the most reliable/accurate?

I am going to pull the trigger on (2) NCE switch 8s for my turnout control as the manuals seemed the most understandable to a lay person.

So I submit to you my plan and would like any feedback based on it. I don't want to signal/block detect the yard so much as just throw dwarf signals with turnout indication tied to my tortoise motors. Is it ok to lump the staging yard as one block? Trying to research more about accomplishing automated signaling before I progress much further.

In physical progress news I have mounted all 7 tortoises in my possession and all is well on that front. Have been dying the mainline with my glue ink mixture as well as re painted the rails a much darker brown and began weathering.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2016, 08:32:22 PM »
+1
Would industries have their own signals? Seems redundant in this scenario,I haven't been able to find an example of it with guilford/MBTA territory.

Typically no... Unless the siding is specified as a Signaled Siding or is controlled by an alternate method of control (Like Siding Control Territory on CN) It and any spurs attached to it would be non main track.
Remember the Signals only give authority on the main track and through controlled locations, Once you're on non main track different rules apply.

I do see a couple possible complications and drew up this to help explain it (note: I missed the faintly drawn back track it should be non main track as well)

Red lines are the Main Track.
Green Lines are non main track.
Yellow lines are Controlled locations.

Your signals are set up correctly for a typical passing siding, you want to make sure that they are located before the controlled location (so that a movement has to physically pass the signal to fowl the switch) As they are drawn right now a facing point move would go too far before having to stop.

The stub ended sidings at the crossovers at either end present a complication. Since they enter the controlled location, in a CTC system they would need a signal just like the track coming off the passing siding.
That being said, since they are stub tracks and will likely never see a movement entering the controlled location from that direction, you could omit that signal and it wouldn't negatively affect operation.

The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

nuno81291

• Crew
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2016, 08:58:02 PM »

Here is some of the repainted mainline and passing siding. Glue is still wet on the ballast on the spurs, but will also get the darker rail brown with a touch more rust color than the mainline.

Here is the offending industry siding that is preventing me putting a double searchlight on the right hand side of the main. Tight.

The following images show weathering of the track thus far and the staging yard as of now. One thing to note is I am very pleased with how my India ink dye has helped darken the sand I used as ballast. It actually looks similar to some of the reference photos I have from the 90s. Next time I would buy a grey mix from scenic express or the like and skip the hassle of what I made for myself! Also learning that planning motor control and signaling before you build may help prevent scenarios like I have with the spur in the way of the signal as well as retrofitting tortoises (not fun!!)

nuno81291

• Crew
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2016, 11:05:02 PM »
Thanks for the feedback- as I understand you mention physically moving the double searchlights before the switches.

As far as omitting signals on those stubs, that I am alright with as I planned to wire these crossovers to a single toggle/route such that when working either industry that siding needs to be aligned. The way I imagine this working in an example multi train scenario is say a passenger train stops at the station as a layover, it would be protected by the dual searchlights which would read red over green for the freight local to go on the passing siding. If both the passing siding and main are occupied the double search lights would read red/red? I am getting a better feel for some of these rules, but seeing as I am a lone wolf that enjoys casual ops I only desire for automated feedback based on occupancy rather than a dispatch controlled CTC type setup (which I think is awesome but solo ops is the case here 99%)

Thanks again

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2016, 11:34:39 PM »
as I understand you mention physically moving the double searchlights before the switches.

Exactly the entire switch would be between the opposing signals.

I only bring up CTC since that's how your signals are set up. For your purposes you can set it up as an occupancy based system and it  will still give the impression of a prototype system.

One thing that would be nice is if you can have the Signal indication change from clear (green over red) to slow to clear (Red over green) if you throw the crossovers to the diverging route.
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

nuno81291

• Crew
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2016, 09:53:25 PM »
+1
Decided to finally abandon the short siding in the crossover as well as make another siding coming near the station wrapping around that corner into the relocated lumber yard.

Also went ahead with a test print of my photo backdrop for the river area, looks better in person that my iPhone photos.

Up next is roughing in the landform and fascia in the new bump out. Cut in the new Spurs. While that happens and I break out the soldering iron I will connect all the feeders I previously dropped as I finish installing tortoises and wiring them up with NCE switch 8s.

The rest of the backdrop may have to wait until next winter when I can shoot more seasonally appropriate photos. Spent a stupid amount of time searching for photos to no avail.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8037
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2016, 11:07:59 AM »
+1
That backdrop looks awesome, wow. I wish I could find as much luck myself!

svedblen

• Crew
  • Respect: +349
    • Three Yards Yard - beware - it is H0 - No, now it's O
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2016, 01:13:14 PM »
+1
That backdrop looks awesome, wow.

Agree
Lennart

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2016, 01:40:58 PM »
+1

I like that missing rail and the rust effect you've got going on there.  8)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2016, 02:16:41 PM »
+2
I'm really gonna like this thread.

I to model New England in HO. I freelance papermill railroading in Northern New Hampshire in 1995
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Guilford Guy

• Crew
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2016, 05:28:21 PM »
+1
Yeah you do, and you just might be employed on his prototype...

One option that could be legitimate for the signal issue at the bridge/mill scene, is placing the signal on the other side of the bridge from the switch. At CPF 423 in North Adams, the eastbound control point signal on the single iron is west of Little Hoosac Tunnel, the #2 track track westbound signal is at the switch on the east side of the tunnel, and the #1 track signal is about 1000ft east of the #2 track signal on the east side of the Hoosac River bridge. So if it exists on your prototype, you could get away with it on the model should you go that route. Another option is an overhead signal gantry which exist at CPF 423 eastbound, CPF 445 eastbound, CPF 448 westbound, and a few other locations that I'm not qualified to go.
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight

nuno81291

• Crew
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2016, 04:14:58 PM »
+1

Began on the river and river banks

Lots of trial and error on the river painting before we progress to modpodge.

New lumberyard spur in foreground. Abandoned mill siding in back. Needs paint and weathering still

Note the new trestle and extended spur.

From the side. Need to place some junk on the canal edge before my envirotex pour here.

Work on one of the grade crossings.

Not a lot of time recently, hope to change that soon!