Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/31/16  (Read 11949 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Weekend Update 1/31/16
« on: January 29, 2016, 07:27:15 PM »
+1

Richie Dost

Steve Rodgers

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
Re: Weekend Update 1/31/16
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 07:31:33 PM »
love the photo

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 07:49:13 PM »
+1
Got some decals done yesterday.

Craig.

BCOL 747

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 08:00:01 PM »
Nicely done Craig! I am working on 747 at the moment.  What decals are you using for the BC Rail logos? I find the Micro-scale logos are undersized. Yours look the correct size.

Chris

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 08:14:30 PM »

The same photo is used in the "great yellow fleet" by John H White. The caption puts the car in Spokane WA. which makes it likely an FGEX car with overhead brine tanks.

Randy

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 08:14:46 PM »
Nice work! With Photobucket down it could be a thin week unless many don't use that site or they fix their issue..... been down almost all day.... :(
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 09:08:57 PM »
Strange. I used photobucket without issue.

Thanks guys.

Chris, you are correct. The logo in the Microscale set is not the right size. It is 16". It should be 24". The ones I used are from Highball set FN334 BCR cabooses

https://highballgraphics.com/F-334.htm

FYI the stripes for the Hockey stick version in that caboose set are wrong. On the caboose the stripes go up to the left on both sides. However this error means the stripes in this caboose set are correct for the BCR locos in this scheme. The BC Rail logo for the Hockey Stick scheme is also incorrect in the micro scale caboose set. The one in the Highball caboose set provides the correct BC Rail script for both cabooses and locos.

Craig
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:11:17 PM by craigolio1 »

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 10:01:36 PM »

That reefer picture almost looks staged to me. Too neat and clean and only one hatch open ? ? ? That was probably shot as a sales tool for sales staff. Note the two dudes both seem to have on casual type shoes and not work boots.
Great picture as it brings back some old memories.

I iced many a PFE reefer in El Paso as a punk kid back 1959-1962 and all I can say is I am sure glad we never saw a car with 8 hatches. All we aver saw was the standard 4 hatch set with two on each end over the ice bunker in the car. We did not have ice cubes but rather 300 lb. block that we picked and forced into the bunkers. No cool salt dispenser either as we picked up a 50 lb. bag and dumped ooops rather sprinkled the salt in. We wore hard shelled sankes over our steel toed work boots.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Tom Todd

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 10:17:39 PM »
What is a hard shelled sanke?  No good response from Google.
Go Great; Go Great Northern

Or SP&S

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 10:59:28 PM »
+1
Just working on tanks and piping.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Business weekend for me,  so I love vicariously through this forum for modeling until Tuesday.
Peter Pfotenhauer

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 11:49:49 PM »
Did the first shot at painting a background after lots of cringing and staring at my backing hardboard...came out good enough got me to keep layering over without the blue roller of death coming out again.
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 01:38:52 AM »
I Googled just "sanke" and got a part for beer kegs, along with a LOT of misspelled legless reptiles.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 05:04:30 AM »
Photobucket back up.... woo hoo....

From a work perspective, the Kanto Sub project was on a bit of a light week. Testing was the main order as we ran various rolling stock and power and found some minor track issues that have been solved. It also gave me a chance to try taking images in various places and with different lighting.... I also got "back to the bench" for a long awaited project.....

Few images from the Sub, more can be found in the Layout Engineering thread...

This is taken right at the edge of the layout, at the end of the tracks before they'll enter the bridge that spans the join.... same place for this image...

and this one....

The idea (as this is technically the front of the layout) was to have a scene that was interesting but not going to take away from the upcoming bridge...

On the other end the overpass and tunell guard the divide between halves....

This recently bashed van in the oh so attractive yet short lived Script red and yellow livery is entering the tunnel section that will take it through a very short tunnel into a rock canyon on its way to the mill.

The last you'll see of it before it reappears on the other side....

I shot a bunch of rolling stock and power from different angles and with different light.... just to see where the "money shots" (:facepalm:) can be found....

.... and FINALLY I managed to get a Caravan...

As a kid I remember the blue and red trailers of Caravan Trailer rentals; they were common as dirt and yet no one had made one in RTR form and i could't find a decent picture to use for decals..... then Highball Decals came to the rescue....

The blue is from my minds eye - the images I've found are all of badly faded examples. I will just have to live with it.... This little guy (and two more to be made like him) will most definitely help place the scenes as early 70's Canada and I'm thrilled to have them finally done. One will be right where it is on the layout while two more will be TOFC material.

It was a fun week! :D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 07:12:01 AM »
Mike that backdrop is breathtaking.

Puddy, that caboose looks terrible. Haha.

Craig

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 08:41:17 AM »
with Photobucket back 'up', I was able to post the VERY quick build of this bridge from Russell Higginbotham and Red River Models/Marshall Shops

http://higginbothamgraphics.com/redrivermodels/

it's a nice 'concrete' art deco arched viaduct model, that also just happens to be the exact length of a T-Trak 'double' module; it is designed to be height adjustable so it fits in perfectly in a T-Trak setup.
I'm going to use it as a 'fill in' module when we need a 2 footer to help balance a layout. I will probably also build one or two more to feature ion a fully landscaped T-Trak module.
It goes together in a couple of hours using carpenters glue; a simple laminate design laser cut from dense fiberboard(?). It's VERY sturdy once assembled. I just need to prime it now and spray a final concrete color.
Bruce

"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/