Author Topic: Best Of Making roof molds in white glue  (Read 5259 times)

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
Re: Making roof molds in white glue
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 02:06:03 PM »
Martin, I'm glad you realized that was good-natured ribbing, and not an insult. You seem like a much happier guy than Dwight!

Please keep sharing the great work!

Jim

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 06:25:16 PM »
That is a great way of doing it.
Thank you for sharing

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 04:43:45 PM »

A question... I can't really tell from the video, but does the finished glue 'sheet' appear clear or at least semi-translucent? 

I ask because I've been seeking a method of modeling semi-translucent corrugated fiberglass sheeting, often used for warehouse/industry applications, which tends to match the profile of the sheet metal siding used on the structure but allows light in, and out.  Since the siding is available in my scale, and if the outcome of your tactic is translucent, I can use this process to make a translucent version of the siding (which can be backed with clear styrene to give it structural integrity), to allow interior lighting of the model to shine faintly threw, just like with the prototype.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 04:45:52 PM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 05:18:04 PM »

A question... I can't really tell from the video, but does the finished glue 'sheet' appear clear or at least semi-translucent? 

I ask because I've been seeking a method of modeling semi-translucent corrugated fiberglass sheeting, often used for warehouse/industry applications, which tends to match the profile of the sheet metal siding used on the structure but allows light in, and out.  Since the siding is available in my scale, and if the outcome of your tactic is translucent, I can use this process to make a translucent version of the siding (which can be backed with clear styrene to give it structural integrity), to allow interior lighting of the model to shine faintly threw, just like with the prototype.

White glue does in fact become translucent when dry.  It also remains fairly flexible.  It also turns white if it is made wet again (and back to being translucent when dry).
. . . 42 . . .

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 05:50:22 PM »
White glue does in fact become translucent when dry.  It also remains fairly flexible.  It also turns white if it is made wet again (and back to being translucent when dry).

I know that, I just wanted to confirm it from the man who came up with this great idea.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 07:36:46 PM »

I know that, I just wanted to confirm it from the man who came up with this great idea.

So, we'll now have to wait for the ultimate confirmation of what we both already know.   Do you think that in this application the glue behaves differently? :|
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:09:43 AM by GaryHinshaw »
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3130
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 11:17:07 PM »
I suspect the white glue could be tinted as it is water based.  So that gree fiberglass wavy sheeting could be simulated too. 

I just love this one.

@tom mann , best of yet?

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 11:33:37 PM »
I certainly have ideas of my own.  But if you'll notice, Peteski, the glue used in the video is not a white glue, it's a wood glue, which has different properties than white glue - for instance it's generally yellow, not clear.  Martin, our helpful Swede, has specific experience I am trying to ask of; he's likely experimented with this method more than any of us could interject.  His undisturbed response might provide us further jewels of knowledge.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:10:32 AM by GaryHinshaw »

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »
Ok, this is pretty cool @martin t .  I made it a best-of, and thanks for the contribution!

martin t

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 08:01:40 AM »
Hi!

Thank you for the very positive response and thank you for making it a "best-of"!  :)

The glue?
- Well, I have only tried to make moldings using water based woodglue. It´s that kind of smell-free, White glue that turns transperent, or milky-transperent when dry. The only difference I´ve seen using different brands of this type of glue, is that some are more prone to generate air-bubbles during the drying process. Bubbles is not a problem unless they are trapped on the plastic sheet (the form). By using the soap+water first and thereby reducing the water tension, the air bubbles generated during drying will be inside the glue mass, or pass out through the top Surface and cause no problems in the mold.

There are great of ways to completly eliminate airbubbles when molding, but then the entire "easy-to-to use-method-for-everyone" is lost in Machines and fixtures...  :lol:

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 11:12:41 AM »
Thanks a lot, Martin.  I will try to extend your great idea a little bit more and see what I come up with.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 03:23:27 PM »
I'm sitting here looking at a scrap of corrugated metal roof from a kit, and wishing I could find more of it in my junk box...  Well, this mad genius has made my day!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »
Wow... I should have read this thread sooner!!

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 01:05:30 PM »
Martin

I really like the water with the toilet paper. It seems it will work very nicely for my white rapid creek I am planing for my layout. It gives you so unlimited time to work all those waves compared to the Magic Water system.

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 01:48:32 PM »
I actually tried this a couple weeks ago.  The mold was great, but it dried to be really brittle. when I tried cutting it the whole thing shattered. 

I just used cheap white glue I got from target.  Maybe a different brand?