Author Topic: Sketchup  (Read 4957 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: Sketchup
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2015, 01:35:43 AM »
James was talking about picasa scanning through all the files and photos, that is the picasa program. You don't need it.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2016, 03:43:50 AM »
Blast from the past  :D

I've been using "Sketchup make" the last few days to make some parts. It is a little bit chunky, but I finally got it to work for me.

One thing. I can't draw a radius smaller than .018". Anyone here know of a fix or plug-in that will fix that?

This is my first 3D drawing:

You can see the rounded edges on the cylinder caps. They are extruded from a CAD drawing. When I try to round off the other edges it says too small a radius.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2016, 03:44:52 AM »
I think the trick is to draw at 2x and scale it by 50% when your done.

Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2016, 03:53:01 AM »
...or even in 1:1 scale then reduce it to 0.00625%
I haven't used SketchUp for few years now but I recall that some surfaces it creates were inside-out.  I think that CADSpan makes a plugin which will show and correct the wrong facing surfaces.  There might be much more plugins nowadays to get the drawing ready for 3D printing - like I said, I haven't messed around with it for a while.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2016, 04:09:02 AM »
Yes I now know that surfaces are inside out in the photo I posted. I have fixed it since then. Been using this method to fix them:
http://3daddfab.com/blog/index.php?/archives/10-Automatically-Repair-STL-Files-in-2-Minutes-with-netfabb.html

Now I know you can just select a surface and flip it.  :facepalm:  Hey it is my first drawing.

Does the scaling trick also work for polygons?  Those cylinders are 24 polys and when I change them to 96 it says circle too small.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2016, 04:20:56 AM »
Yes I now know that surfaces are inside out in the photo I posted. I have fixed it since then. Been using this method to fix them:
http://3daddfab.com/blog/index.php?/archives/10-Automatically-Repair-STL-Files-in-2-Minutes-with-netfabb.html

Now I know you can just select a surface and flip it.  :facepalm:  Hey it is my first drawing.

Does the scaling trick also work for polygons?  Those cylinders are 24 polys and when I change them to 96 it says circle too small.

I just wanted to mention the surfaces thing...  :D
I think drawing in a larger scale, then reducing to the proper scale will solve most your problems.  But there might be a SketchUp limit on just how finely you can render a cylinder (at any size). Easy way to check: draw a much larger cylinder and see how it behaves.

Hey, I'm no SketchUp expert either. The only really useful thing I designed was a church steeple roof for one of Spookshow's scratchbuilt models.  8)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:23:13 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2016, 12:47:16 PM »
I am using Sketchup for two years. I draw everything ten times bigger. It is just easier for me to calculate, since I use metrics.