Author Topic: Penn Central X72 Road Number Decals / Make Your Wants Known  (Read 1972 times)

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
Penn Central X72 Road Number Decals / Make Your Wants Known
« on: January 13, 2016, 09:17:58 AM »
I saw the message below on the Penn Central Modeler's Yahoo Group yesterday regarding a new decal set for correct PC road numbers for Evans X72(A) boxcars.  Jim mentions at the end of the thread that he might consider doing them in N scale if there is enough interest.  Please consider emailing him at heavyelectric@netscape.net if you are interested.  X72 and X72A cars lasted well into the late 80's in full PC paint for Conrail.  For example, my July 1984 ORER shows 220 of the 500 X72A boxcars still with PC reporting marks!  I have a couple photos of PC X72A's at Rockville Bridge in October 1986.  Life Like makes the car, MS 1096 has the correct demi data, road name and logos.  All that is needed is the road numbers in the correct size and font.  Thank you.

Jeff

A few months ago there was a discussion on narrow PC number decals.  A new PCRRHS set is now available in HO:

http://store.pcrrhs.org/decal/pch-10-ho-scale-pc-narrow-numbers-and-marks

There are two widths of narrow numbers with other lettering as described above. Now there is no excuse to use those terrible Herald King numbers any more, or to settle for the wrong size in the Microscale sets.

An X72A I posted in the Files section almost 11 years ago uses these numbers from a previous printing.  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PCModeler/files/Things%20PC%20by%20Jim%20Homoki/  or go to "Things PC by Jim Homoki" and "PC X72A Boxcar".

Also available are "standard" wide numbers in solid and stencil as PCH-11, with additional lettering.  Scans of previous decal sets will be added when available.

These and all decals will be available at the PCRRHS table at the upcoming West Springfield show.

PCH-10 could be printed in N scale with some adjustments, let me know of your interest off list.

Jim
Jeff Lopez

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: Penn Central X72 Road Number Decals / Make Your Wants Known
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 11:47:29 PM »
I really wish ESM would move forward with these.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 12:14:58 AM »
Help me out here, is this set insufficient?

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60-1096&Store_Code=MD&search=penn+central&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

I sure hope not.  I have 2 sets of these and a box full of the Industrial Rail boxes to update and paint a nice shade of PC green and let the decal-o-rama begin.
I've looked at many photographs before this thread started, and went over the ones I plan on using for reference photos and I am struggling to see a difference.  It must be a small one.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:23:39 AM by bman »

ai5629

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 08:45:05 AM »
I sure hope not.  I have 2 sets of these and a box full of the Industrial Rail boxes to update and paint a nice shade of PC green and let the decal-o-rama begin.
I've looked at many photographs before this thread started, and went over the ones I plan on using for reference photos and I am struggling to see a difference.  It must be a small one.

The road numbers from MS-1096 are not correct for the X72.  The road numbers on the MS 1096 set are the type used by the Hollidaysburg Car Shop.  X72's were built by Evans Car Company.  The PC numerals they applied were similar to the HCS's, but noticably more narrow.  Take a look at the Evans built/painted X72 PC 269386 and contrast it to the Hollidaysburg Car Shop built/painted X68 PC 264627.  The difference is very apparent IMO.  These X72 road number decals are produced the the Penn Central Historical Society, and these guys are very serious about correct models and correct lettering.  I hope this helps.  Thank you.

Jeff

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 11:13:49 AM by ai5629 »
Jeff Lopez

bman

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 10:19:40 AM »
Never thought to look at photos of other boxes, and l didn't look at the decal sheet that closely when they arrived.  Just filed them in the "todo" box with the models.  Probably should have as I do not own a copy of the Penn Central Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment.  I've the Conrail Color Guide and have painted up a several X72 and X72A for CR.  Modeling the PC just sort of grows on you the more you model Conrail.  Being built and painted by Evans, I would guess that none of the X72's had either the NYC or PRR style numbers like some other cars of different classes did have.  I'm gonna need another bookshelf soon.  Real soon.  Thanks for the info.  I'll drop them a email and let them know I'm in for these.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:36:13 AM by bman »

ai5629

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 11:21:53 AM »
Modeling the PC just sort of grows on you the more you model Conrail.  Being built and painted by Evans, I would guess that none of the X72's had either the NYC or PRR style numbers like some other cars of different classes did have.  I'm gonna need another bookshelf soon.  Real soon.  Thanks for the info.  I'll drop them a email and let them know I'm in for these.

You are correct in that PC X72's never would have had PRR or NYC style road numbers applied.  Even if they were damaged and repainted during their brief tenure on PC, HCS would have been the shop to repaint them (Despatch Shop closed in 1970), and they would have used their own PC stencils.  On a side note, the PRR style road numbers on MS 1094 are too small.  They should be 10" tall, and MS's are about 8-9".  A better choice is ESM's G32C decal sheet.  It has correct 10" PRR road numbers.  Another excellent choice is PCRRHS's N scale caboose sheet.  The PRR style road numbers are 10" tall also.  My apologies for the thread drift.  Thanks for sending the email.  The more that do, the better the chance of seeing these. 

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 01:00:01 PM »
Email sent regarding N scale - thanks for spreading the word!

Frank

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »
Thanks for the info - I've got a LL X72 that I need to add the extended coupler pockets to and such - will drop an email too.

Mark

bman

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 03:43:28 PM »
You are correct in that PC X72's never would have had PRR or NYC style road numbers applied.  Even if they were damaged and repainted during their brief tenure on PC, HCS would have been the shop to repaint them (Despatch Shop closed in 1970), and they would have used their own PC stencils.  On a side note, the PRR style road numbers on MS 1094 are too small.  They should be 10" tall, and MS's are about 8-9".  A better choice is ESM's G32C decal sheet.  It has correct 10" PRR road numbers.  Another excellent choice is PCRRHS's N scale caboose sheet.  The PRR style road numbers are 10" tall also.  My apologies for the thread drift.  Thanks for sending the email.  The more that do, the better the chance of seeing these. 

Jeff

That's good to know as well.  Thanks again.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 10:20:36 AM »
Thanks for the info - I've got a LL X72 that I need to add the extended coupler pockets to and such - will drop an email too.

Mark

http://www.esmc.com/extra/std/LargePhoto.html?09900/990325

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 09:57:30 AM »
http://www.esmc.com/extra/std/LargePhoto.html?09900/990325

Hmm $16 ($8 plus $8 shipping) - I think I'll make it myself. (Unless the LHS can order it). Good to know they are available!