Author Topic: Pancake under board switch (turnout) control  (Read 4522 times)

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
Re: Pancake under board switch (turnout) control
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 04:59:04 PM »
The late, great Wolfgang Dudler shows how he used rods & DPDT toggle switches for turnout control here: http://www.westportterminal.de/manualturnout.html

I think @Chris333 has a similar method.
Check is layout engineering threadz  :scared:
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 06:02:57 PM »
Sorry haven't really been following. What I use is similar to this:

On my latest HOn30 layout I used Fasttracks Bullfrogs, they work great.

JoeW

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • N Layout list
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 09:36:58 PM »
MC thanks for the heads up link to Wolfgang Dudler, this is the kind of stuff I really like.
Chriss333 thanks for posting the beautiful illustrated method that you use.  It has really got me thinking.
 I really appreciate the improvisational methods

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 01:29:17 AM »
I am trying to get a design out of my head and into CAD for a Shapeways-generated bracket to mount a micro servo underneath in a mostly snap-together arrangement. Something, say, where I could drill a 3/4" to 1" hole under the points and drop-in the assembled switch + machine. I've been evaluating the work ahead of me to install the hundreds of turnouts on the layout, and the specter of building linkages and solving mounting issues around framing for each and every one... yikes.

Well, here it is. This has already been sent off for "strong & flexible", schedule has it back late next week:

This is a mounting bracket to use the micro servo (linear style) as a switch machine for Atlas Code 55 turnouts. The concept is the bracket snaps to the ties and underneath the throwbar, and the servo presses onto the pins. Piano wire between the servo horn and the throwbar. This is a lot like the Peco snap-on switch machine.

It's really small, at about 0.85" wide and 0.6" deep.

Fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 12:29:04 AM by C855B »

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 12:28:32 AM »
Received the first servo clips back from Shapeways this morning:

The design does 90% of what I wanted it to do, and it's really cool (...I think...) that v1.0 is usable as-is. I was hoping for but didn't get the ability to snap the bracket on the turnout, and the servo was an accurate but loose fit on the pins - it was supposed to be friction-fit. However, a little bit of CA mounted everything surprisingly solidly. There was a minor dimension error in the throwbar slot that needed to be enlarged by hand, so v1.1 will fix that. I haven't found my stash of piano wire yet so it's missing the throwbar link, but a straight bit of fine wire will go from the servo bell crank to a small (0.015") hole drilled in the center of the throwbar.

Once I find the wire I'll set it up for testing, but will have to wait for one little part to come in before applying power to it. These micro-servos have an equally-micro connector on them, and requires an adapter to work with the MRR servo boards. Once I get the remaining kinks worked out I'll put it up on Shapeways for anybody who wants to give it a try.

Ron McF

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • The Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Rwy
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 01:33:01 AM »
One without a motor or solenoid, preferably hand mechanized linkage with power routing.

Here's how I made mine:
http://gulflines.blogspot.com.au/p/turnout-pushrods.html

Regards,
Ron
Ron McF
The Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Rwy
http://gulflines.blogspot.com.au/

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3089
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 07:27:56 AM »
Check this out from Precision Design Co, owner is member over at Model Railroad Hobbyist.

http://www.pdc.ca/rr/catalog/product/simple-switch-machine/53

JoeW

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • N Layout list
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 11:37:19 AM »
 "There is more than one way to ____________"  Just like the different ways you can fill in the blank.  I am really impressed with many methods used to get one function done.  Thank you so much for the product listings and especially the alternatives with parts lists.  I truly appreciate the attention you have given this post.  The mind of a model railroader is __________.   My word for the blank is resourceful, I left the blank for the creative and fun loving friends here. 
Your old pal JoeW

N_DaveS

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
    • Potpourri for $500
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 11:35:59 AM »
Adding another thank-you to MC for the Dudler link. His use of terminal strip components as linkage solved my design problem for me. The next step was finding a Radio Shack with that part in stock, but I nabbed the last one from a store on Monday. Now to scrounge up some spare time to hit the workbench...

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 02:31:19 PM »
A little late but here's an Atlas switch machine mod I did using the standard switch machine that is typically attached, mounted above.  I needed the extremely low profile because it was going in a 1/2" foam base being used under a glass topped kitchen table where height was at an extreme premium.  Lays in line with the switch, pretty much within the switch's envelope dimension, only needs a 1/4" deep pocket, and attached to the switch with the original nuts that were trimmed from their original location and glued back on underneath the ties.  It drops in as a sub-assembly so there should always be room.  Disadvantage would be losing any manual operation BUT... one of the neat features is the fabricated operating switch stand, very accurate 90 degree rotation, and it's the manual operator as well.  Poor photos showing some detail of the original unit and the piece of 1/2" foam I used to test it all out.  Worked great.  The pocket was made with a router attachment on a Dremel, precisely set to 1/4" depth (an underused tool in my estimation) and a guide template made from glued up styrene pieces that pinned in place on track C/L.  Buzz it around and you're done.  In the photos you can see the dimensions and the several pockets in the test foam piece, the final one colored in black, as well as the little video of the operation.  I actually wondered why Atlas didn't offer such a thing as it makes so much sense to me and could be a pretty easy molded kit I would think.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:29:25 PM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 09:36:27 PM »
Just to throw another idea into the mix..
How about one of these?
http://www.modelrailroadcontrolsystems.com/mp1-switch-motor/

They seem to be very slim line and easy to mount and adjustable.
Im looking into what existing electronics will drive this type of machine as it is not a shall motor and is not a solenoid.
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 10:17:48 PM »
Judging by the green terminal block, this one is relatively thick (when compared to ones like the Atlas slim twin-coil machines).
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 10:42:09 PM »
It looks like (and the website sort of confirms) it is intended to compete with the Tortoise. Still under-table mounting, but with a much lower profile to work better with multi-level layouts.

As far as how to drive it, it appears to be compatible with both momentary (twin-coil) and held-thrown (stall) switching. Any decoder just has to be able to supply the 150mA to drive it.

The manufacturer is Czech - here's the English-language page: http://mtb-model.com/prodej/index.php?lang=en&id=5&meritko=&page=produkty_detail

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 02:54:17 PM »
Somewhat more expensive version from Germany/Switzerland, the Bemo/Fulgurex switch machine. Although the design is around as long as I can remember it still works great for tight spots.

http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/erh_detail.asp?mn=26&sc=HOm&stock=Bm4425000