Author Topic: Will Broadway make a DCC system?  (Read 1056 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Will Broadway make a DCC system?
« on: January 10, 2016, 03:43:49 PM »
With each passing year, Broadway seems to add more hardware for their DCC equipment. I am starting to think they are building up to a full scale DCC command system. What do you guys think?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Will Broadway make a DCC system?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 04:09:10 PM »
Initeresing question Daniel, but I'm surprised that it comes from you.

From what I seen you mention about DCC for your layout (and about the ergonomics of various system's handheld throttles) is that you don't really care much about DCC systems and their throttles since you will be most likely using JMRI and Smart Phone WiFi throttles anyways.   With that type of a setup you are pretty much command-station-agnostic.

BTW, what's up with that GIANT signature image of yours?  Isn't is a bit overwhelming?  :trollface:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:10:44 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:43:40 PM »
+1
BTW, what's up with that GIANT signature image of yours?  Isn't is a bit overwhelming?  :trollface:

Profile >> Modify Profile >> Look and Layout >>  ✓ Don't show users' signatures.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 12:28:13 AM »
Better?

I may be looking at computer control DCC, but I am NOT platform agnostic. The layout is supposed to have a very future-oriented look to it. No system - DCC or Computer program really coverers what I want. Here is a short list of my complaints:

Digitrax: My god it's full of ugly. It literally looks like a WIRED desk calculator from the 70's. Ergonomics is pathetic, as is the display.

Lenz: Euro style Digitrax. Clunky.

NCE and MRC: Throttles are not bad - I like the analog control. They feel like 90's era TV remotes though. I need a LOT of system information and that tiny little dot-matrix screen gives me no love. NCE does have a lot of US made equipment available, which is a huge plus.

Zimo: Interesting throttle design. Its actually very ergonomic. No US support whatsoever. Prices are high and I doubt I could get a 20 amp system with power distribution using their products.

ESU: I LOVE their radio throttle - LOVE IT. But they have not released the app on Android (the throttle runs Android). Not sure if the throttle runs its own radio or off a home Wi-Fi network. If Wi-Fi, this would remove the need for a dedicated computer running JMRI. Downside is these are REALLY expensive. The base station does not run Android, and does not share the same look as the throttle. Also - $$$$$

JMRI: So far I have played with the software, not connected to a layout. Its clunky - an app form of the Digitrax throttle. Its just ugly. Then there is the Wi-Fi app > router > Computer/JMRI > base station > booster > track. That is a long change of command. Each one could be a different OS, with a different look and respond differently. Its just not an efficient way of doing things.

So I hold out hope that there is a DCC company out there that will produce JUST a base station and an app. Basic throttle functions on a phone. Advanced mapping and CTC control over a tablet app.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 01:30:08 AM »
Yeah, that's better (at least horizontal-wise).  :)

But in your evaluation you are looking at each system's handheld throttles?  So you still want to use the native throttles?  I also find it amusing that you love the ergonomics of the ESU throttle, since it is basically a Smart Phone with a large knob grafted onto it.  :)

SO for an ideal DCC system ideal DCC system (from the ergonomic standpoint) you would like a WiFi capable command station with possibly hi-res touch-screen native throttles and a custom-written throttle app for use in the Apple and Android type Smart Phones (instead of using generic throttle apps on those)?

As far as ZIMO goes, you're right, their website is terrible (for English-speaking people to navigate and even try to figure out).  But they do have hi-amperage capabilities as many people use them for G and 0 scales.  But then there is the price too.

However, earlier this year, I joined the ZIMO-DCC Yahoo group and it is quite active with helpful members (and many translated manuals).  I joined mainly because I have few ZIMO sound decoders and I wanted to learn more about them, but I also found other conversations there which have been quite interesting (and some good info in the message archives too).

The recent discussions went beyond straight-DCC. Straight DCC is so 1990s.   :D They were discussing bi-directional DCC capabilities, RailCom+, CAN and LocoNET type of busses, etc.
. . . 42 . . .

djconway

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:34:32 PM »
Sure they will it will be available after September -- no year specified yet, but it could change.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 04:06:13 PM »
Now that was funny!  Well played! :D
. . . 42 . . .