Author Topic: Linking UP and N&W...  (Read 1376 times)

Micke C

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Crawford Junction
Linking UP and N&W...
« on: January 10, 2016, 09:18:47 AM »
I have a question from a modelrailroading friend if there was one Company that linked the territories of Union Pacific and Norfolk and Western together?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 03:46:13 PM by Micke C »

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: Linking UP and N&W...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 10:33:33 AM »
What era? After the 1964 acquisitions of the Wabash, Nickel Plate, and AC&Y, N&W connected directly to UP in Kansas City and Omaha. Up 'til then, unless I missed something obvious, it took two RRs to make the connection.

Micke C

• Crew
    • Crawford Junction
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 11:49:09 AM »
What era? After the 1964 acquisitions of the Wabash, Nickel Plate, and AC&Y, N&W connected directly to UP in Kansas City and Omaha. Up 'til then, unless I missed something obvious, it took two RRs to make the connection.

We are modelling ca 1960-1970

Thanks for the answer.

Micke C

• Crew
    • Crawford Junction
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 12:05:16 PM »
A following question are how quick N&W painted/marked trains ran there

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 12:39:34 PM »
I can approximate that it was pretty fast, but somebody else will have to answer for accuracy regarding the actual operations changes. My direct perspective of N&W of that era was at the Norfolk end only. What I can tell is Wabash- and NKP-painted locomotives were around until '66, ACY in '67. Problem you're dealing with is most of the predecessor lines' fleets were early first generation, and old-in-the-tooth when N&W took over. Any new purchases - sorely needed - would have been in N&W paint.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 12:49:53 PM »
You can find several passenger photos that show N&W engines in KC by at least 1967 but I don't know if that necessarily translates to freight.

This site has some.

http://condrenrails.com/N&W/GP9s.html

This TO thread had a couple N&W freight shots at KC in 1968.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3348977

Jason
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:53:06 PM by wcfn100 »

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 01:29:28 PM »
Am I understanding the question properly? Before the 1964 connection of UP/N&W mentioned above, weren't the UP and N&W able to connect via the Southern Rwy at New Orleans? UP to New Orleans, where it meets up with Southern (perhaps with the New Orleans Public Belt thrown into the mix), then to N&W territory?

Hmm... talk about a
WAG...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 01:38:44 PM »
Am I understanding the question properly? Before the 1964 connection of UP/N&W mentioned above, weren't the UP and N&W able to connect via the Southern Rwy at New Orleans? UP to New Orleans, where it meets up with Southern (perhaps with the New Orleans Public Belt thrown into the mix), then to N&W territory

????? - You must be thinking of the SP. UP of the era didn't go any further east than Omaha or Kansas City, nor further south than Kansas City. Los Angeles is the one "south" exception, but it was only that one line between Salt Lake City and L.A. Nowhere near NOLA.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Micke C

• Crew
    • Crawford Junction
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 02:47:25 PM »
Thanks for all answers!