Author Topic: Atlas Model Railroad Co. Agrees to Purchase BLMA Models Inc.  (Read 13621 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Atlas Model Railroad Co. Agrees to Purchase BLMA Models Inc.
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2016, 03:56:24 PM »
So I was just wondering............will the BLMA name carry on under the Atlas licensing?

Jon

I'm not sure what is there to license.  Atlas owns the assets and trade names of BLMA (everything). At least that is how I understand the announcement. They can do whatever they please with then name, designs and products.  Whether Atlas decides to continue selling products under BLMA name seems to be unknown at this time.
. . . 42 . . .

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2016, 05:20:44 PM »
With cards there is no prototype research needed . The customer either sends a cad , a drawing , or some ideas or demands for Craig to come up with ideas for the go ahead . Then it is mostly done . Time , effort , and whining is greatly reduced . More time to have some wine .

Richie, I'm not an entrepreneur and I don't even pretend to know that much about running a business. I was just surprised he was spinning off what seemed to be a successful business, on one that in my opinion might be a long shot. You figure the standard card stock business card, can be had for about 2 cents per card, but his low end metal business card is $1.75 per card.  In my opinion, Atlas really made out in this deal. One thing I do know, business owners can be very picky about their logo's, copyrighted logo colors, fonts etc. You think model railroaders are bad when it comes to car color and logo size, mess up a copyrighted logo on a business card and watch the order get cancelled.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2016, 09:21:38 PM »
Richie, I'm not an entrepreneur and I don't even pretend to know that much about running a business. I was just surprised he was spinning off what seemed to be a successful business, on one that in my opinion might be a long shot. You figure the standard card stock business card, can be had for about 2 cents per card, but his low end metal business card is $1.75 per card.  In my opinion, Atlas really made out in this deal. One thing I do know, business owners can be very picky about their logo's, copyrighted logo colors, fonts etc. You think model railroaders are bad when it comes to car color and logo size, mess up a copyrighted logo on a business card and watch the order get cancelled.

I hear ya . Crossed my mind also , but people get paper business cards all the time . There must be a permission slip that the logo owner gives to its employees so he has something to prove to the business card manufacturer that they have copyright permission to reproduce it . Has to be a standard business practice I would think . Now , do they allow a metal one is something else . Can a metal one be sharpened on the edge to be outlawed on flights as a weapon ? Just let one be used that way , get press coverage , and they would be banned . Also the fact that they are metal , a razor could be the meat in the sandwich that would disguise the razors shape . Craig is a smart guy that has weighed all these things .

Richie Dost

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2016, 09:27:21 PM »
I hear ya . Crossed my mind also , but people get paper business cards all the time . There must be a permission slip that the logo owner gives to its employees so he has something to prove to the business card manufacturer that they have copyright permission to reproduce it . Has to be a standard business practice I would think . Now , do they allow a metal one is something else . Can a metal one be sharpened on the edge to be outlawed on flights as a weapon ? Just let one be used that way , get press coverage , and they would be banned . Also the fact that they are metal , a razor could be the meat in the sandwich that would disguise the razors shape . Craig is a smart guy that has weighed all these things .

I didn't even think of the weapon capability of a thin metal business card. But then credit cards ane business cards have simlar size. Just do  Google search for "credit card knife" and you'll be amazed how many are out there.  Are those allowed on an airplane?  I don't ecall media making a big stink about htem. And we all know that the airport security screenings are pretty much a feel good measure.

. . . 42 . . .

Snark45

• Crew
  • But Dad, don't we EAT the antelopes?
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2016, 09:36:51 PM »
I must say I enjoy the crowd that congregates here at RW  --  we start with "Atlas buys BLMA" and end up with the highjacking potential of the Magical Mystery Knife...

No wonder you guys are so creative in your modeling

Lest ye misread -  these comments are meant to be complimentary.   Best, harry

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2016, 09:44:59 PM »
I must say I enjoy the crowd that congregates here at RW  --  we start with "Atlas buys BLMA" and end up with the highjacking potential of the Magical Mystery Knife...

No wonder you guys are so creative in your modeling

Lest ye misread -  these comments are meant to be complimentary.   Best, harry

Typical thing here.  :D
Besides, it is not a true hijack - if you follow the crumbs, it all goes back to Craig's new business venture.  8)
. . . 42 . . .

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2016, 09:57:41 PM »
Thinking of the weekends these model RR suppliers chew-up by going to or having to be at shows and it keeps me from ever being in that business.  :D

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »
Another comment from Paul Graf. This was on Trainboard in response to comments there:

Quote from: AtlasPaul
Thank you for all of the comments.

First off, one of the key components of the deal is keeping Craig on as a consultant for the next few years. This is going to help us absorb the BLMA line and keep products coming on a regular basis, likely at a faster rate than BLMA was releasing their own line.

As far as detail parts, it is our intention to keep them going, and we can promote the detail parts along with the locomotives they can be used with.

For the trucks, many of our newer tooled cars use trucks with lowered bolsters as well, so there is no reason for us to change or discontinue these.

I understand the concerns out there, but I am confident that this purchase is going to be positive.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2016, 02:06:20 PM »
Another comment from Paul Graf. This was on Trainboard in response to comments there:

This is awesome. Good to read about the detail parts.

Thanks,
Wolf

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2016, 02:59:13 PM »
Yes, good to hear. But would like to hear him address Atlas' spare parts availability issues.
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

BobRunty

• Crew
  • Respect: +49
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2016, 03:53:20 PM »
I saw mention somewhere that Craig had started the business card thing back in 2011 and it was really doing well. It sounded like it was an already well established venture.
Now back to the thread.
Bob

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2016, 03:56:57 PM »
I'm buying as many ultimate F/E detail sets as I can get into my hands!...
I have quite a few sets already, enough for my Santa Fe fleet, but I'm sure there will always be a need for more as I acquire more E & F units for other roads in my era...
I'm not expecting these to see the light of day under the Atlas name...I might as well try to acquire double track signal bridges and cantilever bridges as well...
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/