Author Topic: Atlas parts  (Read 1942 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Atlas parts
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 12:28:17 AM »
I don't buy the argument that stocking parts is a burden on companies. Micro Trains seems to have no trouble stocking parts, as do others, so it can be done. It just depends on the company's business model.

We are lucky that MT happens to also sell what we consider spare parts in their standard line of products.  But you have to realize that they manufacture their products in-house (and in USA).  Also note that even though products are made in-house, not all the items are always in stock.  Especially their undercoated rolling stock. Sometimes it tales a long time for certain body styles to be available as undecorated items.

And limited runs doesn't mean it's never going to be produced again (thinking Atlas locos), shells may change, but the basic mechanism is still the same, so yes, a 30 year old loco should have parts available, if that's the company's business model.

Really?  You expect for example all the parts for the Kato/Atlas RS3 ot RS11 to still be available?  How about All the Rivarossi locos or Roco rolling stock Atlas used to sold as their own items?  :|  Let's be realistic...
. . . 42 . . .

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 12:31:36 AM »
An option I have exercised to get Atlas parts I need is to buy an undecorated model and use it as a parts donor.  Not the cheapest way to do it, but if you cannot get the parts any other way...   This is not a great option for locomotives, but undecorated Atlas freight cars are not too expensive.  Thanks.

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:18:16 AM by ai5629 »
Jeff Lopez

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 10:07:17 AM »
We are lucky that MT happens to also sell what we consider spare parts in their standard line of products.  But you have to realize that they manufacture their products in-house (and in USA).  Also note that even though products are made in-house, not all the items are always in stock.  Especially their undercoated rolling stock. Sometimes it tales a long time for certain body styles to be available as undecorated items.

Really?  You expect for example all the parts for the Kato/Atlas RS3 ot RS11 to still be available?  How about All the Rivarossi locos or Roco rolling stock Atlas used to sold as their own items?  :|  Let's be realistic...

You keep using the words "doing us a favor" or "we are lucky", it's a business, they sell product and we buy. Why are we the fortunate souls? And so what if it's made here or there. In the past part of Atlas' business model was to provide spare parts, they have an online store and you can buy parts from them, if this model has changed, I'm not aware it. So until that announcement, that they are no longer going to provide parts, I expect them to be available within reason. Is this not common sense?

And if Atlas continues to release locos based on the RS3 or any other mechanism, I expect the parts to be available. The Roco or Rivarossi stuff is no longer sold by Atlas, so no, I would not expect that to be available. Let's be realistic... :facepalm:
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 10:55:26 AM »

And if Atlas continues to release locos based on the RS3 or any other mechanism, I expect the parts to be available. The Roco or Rivarossi stuff is no longer sold by Atlas, so no, I would not expect that to be available. Let's be realistic... :facepalm:

You are absolutely right - I stand corrected! I must have been brainwashed into submission to the "no spare parts will be made available" mantra of the manufacturers.  :facepalm:  But you woke me up!

I *DEMAND* that all manufacturers make spare parts available for any model released in the last 30 years!!!!!  They beter do it or I will hold my breath until they do!  Just being realistic here...    :)
. . . 42 . . .

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 11:13:20 AM »
Specific
Atlas part that I had waited over a year for turned out to be on the shelf but had the incorrect part number applied. A few days later the part was in my mailbox. Thank you Atlas for the quick reply. Atlas responds, but they respond far better to an inquiry than an accusation. At least that is my peronal experience.

Outsourcing manufacturing has lowered initial product pricing to consumers but has left replacement parts in limbo. Just in time manufacturing focuses on getting the right number of parts to build a specific number of products on a ready assembly line. Excesses and leftovers are a burden to the manufacturer if the marketer does not want them. Also in the manufacturers world selling spare parts represents a lost opportunity to sell a fresh new product. It is popular to demonize the Chinese manufacturers but they are simply looking out for themselves and their interests. Finger pointing and such is best left to professional politicians.

Wondering if I should be stocking up on a couple of 2008 Saturn Vue Redlines for spare parts too...
Support fine modeling

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 12:17:11 PM »
An option I have exercised to get Atlas parts I need is to buy an undecorated model and use it as a parts donor.  Not the cheapest way to do it, but if you cannot get the parts any other way...   This is not a great option for locomotives, but undecorated Atlas freight cars are not too expensive.

$22 for some box car doors is too expensive.   :P

Maybe something missing from this conversation is that I have made inquiries going back 5+ years now.  I've received a variety of answers over that time like, "I think we should have parts for that, call the parts department" or "Hopefully in the the production run we can get parts".  No one at Atlas has ever said to me anything to indicated that they can't get parts or won't be carrying parts for certain items.  When they say that, I'll stop expecting it.

Jason

towl1996

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 12:26:01 PM »
You are absolutely right - I stand corrected! I must have been brainwashed into submission to the "no spare parts will be made available" mantra of the manufacturers.  :facepalm:  But you woke me up!

I *DEMAND* that all manufacturers make spare parts available for any model released in the last 30 years!!!!!  They beter do it or I will hold my breath until they do!  Just being realistic here...    :)

LOL
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

towl1996

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 12:27:01 PM »
Maybe something missing from this conversation is that I have made inquiries going back 5+ years now.  I've received a variety of answers over that time like, "I think we should have parts for that, call the parts department" or "Hopefully in the the production run we can get parts".  No one at Atlas has ever said to me anything to indicated that they can't get parts or won't be carrying parts for certain items.  When they say that, I'll stop expecting it.

Jason

Exactly. Thank you.

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 03:28:47 PM »
When looking for ATLAS parts and they are showing on the site "ALWAYS" call ATLAS and ask for the parts department.Sometimes they get accidently put in the wrong bin which of course means that when the correct bin is empty they are out of those parts. (maybe)
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 03:52:06 PM »
When looking for ATLAS parts and they are showing on the site "ALWAYS" call ATLAS and ask for the parts department.Sometimes they get accidently put in the wrong bin which of course means that when the correct bin is empty they are out of those parts. (maybe)

That shouldn't be case today since they just did inventory.

Jason

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 04:01:21 PM »
$22 for some box car doors is too expensive.   :P

On the surface, purchasing an undecorated car seems like it's too expensive for only one particular part you are looking for, but look at it a different way.  For example, you only need a door from a PS1 boxcar.  An undecorated PS1 boxcar can be had for about $15-19 (I purchased mine from BLW for $15).  That seems expensive for just a pair of doors, but you also get a lot of other things that you can use or resell to help recoup the cost.  Atlas PS1 boxcars come with three types of doors, three types of brakewheels, an etched metal running board, corner grab irons, ladders, tack boards, metal underframe with body mounted Accumate couplers, a pair of 50 ton trucks with metal wheels, boxcar body and a jewel case with nest.  That is a lot of parts that can be used on a lot of projects.  Plus, if you order them from an etailer or LHS that you are already ordering something from anyway, that minimizes the shipping / sales tax.  If you order parts from Atlas, you have to pay shipping in addition to the part itself.  This is how I justify buying undecorated cars for parts since I cannot get them from Atlas.  I have been trying to get PS1 underframes and trucks since the first release and they never have the parts.  I got annoyed and just started buying undecorated cars to get what I needed.  Thanks for reading along.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez