Author Topic: MTL Horse car 1/1/16!  (Read 8866 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
MTL Horse car 1/1/16!
« on: December 30, 2015, 07:01:53 PM »
A Pennsy and a NYC versions ... better get your pre-order at your fav hobby shop in soon because these are going to go fast.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:28:27 PM by GaryHinshaw »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5511
Re: MTL Horse car 1/1/16!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 07:11:50 PM »
+5
Why? Do we need horse cars? I need people cars with single windows.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8550
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 07:18:24 PM »

LOL

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 08:26:59 PM »

My hero...... :D

(that said I still like the nag wagon)
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 08:43:27 PM »
Thanks for the head's up.  Luckily, I think I only need one of these (planning to rework the doors, paint it blue, and letter it for L&N).  I suspect some SP modelers are more than a bit jealous that Goliath the Sea Lion and the PRR got the first cars and SP will have to wait.

Well, the N scale people had twin window cars, and sleepers, and diners, and all the poor N scale horses were having to ride around in stock cars.  Now that they have a horse car (and a sea lion car), let's hope they get to the single window coach before an elephant car, searchlight car, and Lincoln funeral car.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 09:37:13 PM »
Luckily, I think I only need one of these (planning to rework the doors, paint it blue, and letter it for L&N).

The model is fairly close to what the L&N had...

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/67468/rv/singleitem

Another advantage to this model may be that the depth of the letterboard should match that of the Pullman models which should help when it comes to modeling a rebuilt Pullman that became a baggage - express.  Not sure as of yet but if I am correct it could be a good model to gather appropriate detail for making such a car.

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 09:55:13 PM »
Thanks for the head's up.  Luckily, I think I only need one of these (planning to rework the doors, paint it blue, and letter it for L&N).  I suspect some SP modelers are more than a bit jealous that Goliath the Sea Lion and the PRR got the first cars and SP will have to wait.
 Well, the N scale people had twin window cars, and sleepers, and diners, and all the poor N scale horses were having to ride around in stock cars.  Now that they have a horse car (and a sea lion car), let's hope they get to the single window coach before an elephant car, searchlight car, and Lincoln funeral car.
you don't have to suspect.....I might get a a pair...one for a passenger train, and one for MOW....considering that the prototype spent most of it's life in the Phoenix yard (and then the Arizona Railroad Museum) in MOW gray....

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 09:57:01 PM »
Jerry, that T1 trust organization is very interesting, didn't know anything about it. Would love to see this loco made again, amazing.
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 10:15:37 PM »
Hospital car, please.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +258
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 11:06:23 PM »
Single window coach you say...

Geoff

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 11:33:19 PM »
Geoff,

I know you make (made?) a single window coach, but can't find pictures anywhere.  All I have found are the 2200 lightweight and the truss rod "first class coach" (which in the pics looks like twin windows in any case).  Does Central Hobbies sell a single window HW?  Or someone else, on your behalf?
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 12:55:36 AM »
thomasjmdavis:  Have you had a chance to see the replica of Lincoln's funeral car?  We did, a few months ago, in Versailles, KY, at the Bluegrass Railroad Museum.  They're still working with the AAR and FRA, but hope eventually to get it approved for limited operation on common-carrier railroads.  Naturally, the problems are brakes and couplers!

An accurate model of it would probably be a good seller, simply as a collectors item.  And the trucks would be very useful to mid-1800s modelers.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +258
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 12:57:01 AM »
Geoff,

I know you make (made?) a single window coach, but can't find pictures anywhere.  All I have found are the 2200 lightweight and the truss rod "first class coach" (which in the pics looks like twin windows in any case).  Does Central Hobbies sell a single window HW?  Or someone else, on your behalf?

I've just started work on a new car, the CPR 1300 - 1337 single window heavyweight steel coach. A photo of this car can be found on the recently released Morning Sun book "Canadian Pacific Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment, Volume 2". The 2200 is a lightweight car from the late '40's, and the truss rod car is a classic (in my opinion) wood car from the 1910's. I could use some good photos of the underbody gear and roof details if any of you can provide reference to speed up the process...

The car will be available from Central Hobbies in the New Year, probably February at the earliest. Thank God for Archer rivets, but there's still a hell of a lot of 'em!

I hope all of you have great New Year.

Geoff

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 03:57:13 AM »
Geoff's going to own my house when he gets that car on the market.... but I digress...

The nice thing about a horse car is that they were found off their home rails in some fairly distant places during their day. The Pacific coast racing season might see an eastern car run Espee rails as horses from Belmont and other big Eastern tracks came west. Canadian Pacific horse cars certainly got around; there are images of one in Kentucky in 1964 that almost certainly took "the dancer" (Northern Dancer) to Churchill Downs for the Derby....
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 05:46:22 AM »
Are these releases prototypical? At least somewhat? Or pure fantasy?

Can you please enlighten me?

Javier