Author Topic: Where are you spending  (Read 1467 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +217
Where are you spending
« on: December 29, 2015, 10:03:16 PM »
Anyone tracking your railroad expenditures in terms of capital outlays on rolling stock, structures, track, electrical scenery, paints, tools, etc....

How about local hobby shop versus internet or on eBay (I know it's part of the internet, but considering it as a separate category than a hobby shop with website.)

How about spending on traditional manufactured items listed in the Walthers catalog compared to items from Shapeways or other sources of custom designed or built pieces, including custom painting perhaps?

I don't track it all, but detail parts and structures were the most common items I bought this year, though dollar wise rolling stock was very close to the total spent at Shapeways. Most cars are bought in multiples and more expensive than 3D prints, which I often only get 1 of. That seems to make each category about 30% of expenses.

I invested in some tools and other items (DCC electrical) that bump that category up to around 20%. The rest was a mish mash. 90% of my hobby dollars go out via my computer though, as the only local hobby shop is a Hobby Town USA, and they are much more into quadcopters and fantasy gaming pieces than trains.

I am proud to say none of my scenery category expenses were used on "broken sticks," as Ed referenced.

Others?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:32:39 PM by basementcalling »
Peter Pfotenhauer

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +221
Re: Where are your spending Habits
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:35:23 PM »
Seriously?   :facepalm:

I was tracking it for a while.  Then I found I couldn't stick to a budget, so I gave up.   :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Hamaker

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
Re: Where are you spending
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 01:30:09 AM »
If I were to have kept track of what I have spent on model trains and layouts, I would be being treated for serious depression !    Every once in awhile I'll count my locomotives and calculate there replacement cost....and that figure scares me.....and I quit.  I then pour a large glass of wine and and listen to some good music.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +780
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 02:34:08 AM »
I may have not done much modeling this year due to home mods , but 2015 has been very very expensive railroad wise . BLI UP E units , Rapido and others LIRR passenger cars , and the list goes on and on . I am so far in the hole my butt is poking out of the Aussie west coast outback .

Looks like I have company up the wazzoo .
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:39:38 AM by up1950s »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2808
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 05:23:22 AM »
I don't keep track, but I know when I'm not buying trains because the account starts to stack up.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Respect: +558
    • THE IMPOSSIBLE RAILROAD
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »
For a small layout, one year in, into it about less than 500.00 and that includes start up
materials that were needed when collection was sold in 2012. I am only making purchases
on what's needed. Going to sales and meets, where there are bargains. Good point on the
broken sticks, no more purchases for basic model railroad products. I.e. WS marquee
products. I spend 3.00 on rattle cans, better than 4.49 at Hobby Lobby for small can
of Testors. I use all small bottles of acrylic paint for weathering, painting and more. Can't
beat the price at Wally World.

This hobby is too expensive to simply collect structures, rolling stock, engines. Buy what
you need and follow Ed's free dirt theory.

LHS 60%
Shows 40%

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:24:32 AM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
Page, AZ
provencountrypd@gmail.com

conrail1973

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 09:06:18 AM »
During the past year, I would say that 50 - 60% of my spending went on eBay, and the other 40 - 50% went towards in store purchases at M.B. Klein/Model Train Stuff and train shows.  Most of my purchases on eBay this year were for N Scale Vehicles (Athearn fire engines and Mack R Trucks), and retired freight cars that the manufacturers don't currently offer.  Most of my in store purchases were for track, and my purchases at train shows were for those recent freight cars that are no longer in stock at M.B. Klein/Model Train Stuff.  I think next year most of my purchases will be towards new purchases with some of the announcements that are promised for 2016.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1066
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 09:18:42 AM »
My entire RR budget plus some is going into the layout building, so I guess technically the "where" has been Lowe's, Menard's and Home Depot... and the stage lighting supplier :( . I am at the point now where I don't even bring pocket money for local train shows.

I have been doing some minor spending on special-run "gotta haves", such as the Trainworx trucks. And I think I picked up a six-pack of SP bulkhead flats, iconic for my modeling era. Foreseeable spending is going to be on layout supplies, where MBK at the moment has the best price on Atlas turnouts.

If that new company produces a "Big Blow" in N, I'm hosed.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +174
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 10:43:48 AM »
I don't track per se, but I do keep track of reservations and other larger needed items for budgeting. In the past year , most monies have been going to new rolling stock as there has been a plethora of new items (Atlas SP boxcars, WOT flatcars, WOT/Rapido/Lowell Smith passenger cars, BLI NYC boxcars (this is a signature car which could show up anywhere)) and adding to scenery supplies. A good portion has always gone to model railroad-related travel as I like to hit a NMRA/NSC event yearly.Lately, I have been on a structure supply run where I'm finding parts/pieces/fodder for planned bridges and buildings as I'm at that stage now. In the future, things will be project-oriented with most $$ going for detail parts and lighting. I can see Shapeways getting a good chunk as my "list" of item bookmarks is getting long!

Peter
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »
My entire RR budget plus some is going into the layout building,

I find this interesting, in the fact that I know you've spent a lot of money in up grading the building, and unlike a lot of modelers who spend money to up grade a basement or spare room, which normally gets torn down if they have to move, you could see a return on your money if you ever decide to sell the building. Dare I say brilliant?
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1066
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 02:32:10 PM »
[chuckle]

Thanks! Welllllllllll... actually that was given some thought. It wouldn't be altogether bad as a church, an art gallery, a nice retail space, or like somebody said, a rec center. It was important to not do anything so specific that it couldn't have other uses.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +683
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 02:58:32 PM »
I save all my receipts from all of my purchases, but I refuse to total them up. No good can from that. I've probably broke even on the hobby this year. I keep a separate bank account just for modeling and railfanning expenses and there is more money it in now that there was a year ago.

I've been using up a large inventory of layout building supplies, so the expenses there have been minimal this year. Locomotives, decoders and detailing parts were probably the largest expenses, but I make the most money there too.

Rolling stock was probably #2, but I will be thinning the herd down soon, so I will recoup some of those costs.

I need to get cracking on buying more electronics. I need grade crossing hardware and detection. All in due time.
Karl
CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline.

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 03:04:21 PM »
It was important to not do anything so specific that it couldn't have other uses.

I think you've just created the first ever model railroading flip. I can see it now as a tv show on HGTV, "Flippin' Model Railroads". Conjures up all sorts of weird thoughts, doesn't it?  I know I've muttered flippin' toy trains under my breath a few times or something to that effect.  :trollface:
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +209
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »
I'm old so many of my purchases this year occurred when something I pre-ordered when I was young (and then forgot about) showed up!  I even forget what I pre-ordered and then pre-order again which is why I got two SW1's and two FVM Milwaukee Road transfer cabeese in the mail this year-- both were so nice I'm glad I got the extras. Even the LHS had some surprises for me from time to time.

I can't wait to see what surprises show up in the mailbox this year :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:29:17 PM by Roger Holmes »
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 06:37:19 PM »
I know the feeling .. I just discovered tonight that I have 5 soldering irons .. :(