Author Topic: On sandy soil in N  (Read 1585 times)

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
On sandy soil in N
« on: January 14, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »
I'd like to reproduce eastern NC sandy soil.  The prototype is generally light greyish, with very fine particles.  I've used drywall spackle, as it is close to the average color.  However, it is both not flat enough, and also is pretty much completely uniform in color.  Does anyone have any thoughts on making it look a little better?
I like ducks

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8576
Re: On sandy soil in N
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 04:05:51 PM »
Sounds like a job for grout!  You ought to be able to bring in a soil sample at match it exactly at Home Depot or Lowes.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 04:43:35 PM »
Let me in on that secret color, John.  I could use it on my layout.  I found a light sandy color paint that I apply over the foam substrate before applying foliage.  The funny thing is that everyone accuses my scenery base of being white, even after it's painted.  But, many folks don't really understand how light the color of the soil can be in eastern North Carolina.  Truthfully, it can almost become sun-bleached to white in areas.  If I understand correctly, the sandhills (my layout's locale) are literally ancient sand dunes left from when the ocean was higher or the land was lower.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8054
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:56:08 AM »
Yep. Unsanded grout. If you need variation, blend multiple colors.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 01:19:07 PM »
I recall a mention in threads past about the grouts and blending. To that end, maybe there could be a blending party somewhere between the DC-Balto and Phila areas. A bag of the grout is costly as I recall...low $20's for a three-lifetime supply. Perhaps where there are concentrations of members in areas, a similar event could be arranged.

One brings the gray, another black, another sand and so on along with containers and a little portable scale.

Maybe a tie-in to a Timonium show (coming up shortly, weather permitting).