Author Topic: Cleaning Track Inside A Bridge  (Read 3342 times)

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1816
Re: Cleaning Track Inside A Bridge
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 01:12:18 AM »
Does anyone use the Atlas track cleaning car with the spinning abrasive pad for areas like this? I have a decoder installed in mine so I can regulate the speed it spins at.

I just got one of these (the Tomix version from Plaza Japan) and I liked it so much that I got a second one.  It has three modes: 1) a vacuum, which is incredibly effective, 2) a spinning buffing disc which can be used dry or with a liquid cleaner dispensed from its reservoir, and 3) a spinning abrasive disk, which is a little heavy for me.  I now run two in series with the (dry) buffer wheel running first and the vacuum second.  The buffer is mild enough to not wear off blackening, but it would probably wear off paint if your guard rails are the same height as your running rails.

Highly recommended!

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2289
Re: Cleaning Track Inside A Bridge
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 01:31:59 AM »
That's great to hear, Gary. I have two of the Tomix "machines" in my DCC queue with a similar idea in mind. That you confirmed the concept moves them up in priority significantly.

Yeah, I agree the abrasive disk is a bit coarse. I was wondering about a mod to use the mildest Cratex wheel in some fashion, but doesn't one of the other cleaner cars have that as a stock option?