Author Topic: MTL SW1500 question  (Read 2177 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
MTL SW1500 question
« on: December 06, 2015, 03:15:47 AM »
Does anyone know if the hood mounted handrail version was ever tooled? I am pretty sure it never made it to production, but was curious how far they got on this version.

I always liked this version better than the walkway-mounted handrail version.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:33:59 AM by daniel_leavitt2000 »
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Jim Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Re: MTL SW1500 question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 07:32:27 PM »
Cannot help on the above,however I have a few questions..

Looking for some 'flexicoil' side frames for a SW1200. Trying MTL again as was told some time ago they would not be available as a spare part.

Also on some units there was provision to walk between units,having a raised platform and fold down plate for access purposes,to match GP9s I read. The end railing
sloped upwards from the steps to the platform....has anyone done this feature as a etch or similar.   Looking for 4 sets.

Jim
Modelling in N the NH down under

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 12:00:07 AM »

....Also on some units there was provision to walk between units,having a raised platform and fold down plate for access purposes,to match GP9s I read. The end railing
sloped upwards from the steps to the platform....has anyone done this feature as a etch or similar.   Looking for 4 sets.

Jim

Athabasca Scale Models Limited makes or made the exact etched railings you mentioned, including the raised drop step (in raised position) and angled end railings mounted on a full pilot overlay. I have not yet installed these but I have a couple sets and the etchings are extremely well done. These are item #8203 "Stainless Steel Handrail Set for the Lifelike SW9/1200".

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 12:33:21 AM »
+1
Yep, Athabasca has some really nice kits, especially their Canadian cab.

Here is my Quincy Bay SW1200 with the kit attached to the rear platform.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 01:56:11 AM »
The problem with the Athabasca handrails is that they would not be right for an SW1500.  The SW1500's deck was at the same level as GPs, from the GP30 on, so there is no need to have the raised drop step.  One thing to consider might be the Gold Metal Models handrail set, which is etched with accurate detail... they could be made to work with the SW1500 very easily.

Be patient... I am sure we have not yet scratched the surface as far as what MT will be doing... before long we should start seeing more variations being released.

screeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 04:13:20 AM »
Cannot help on the above,however I have a few questions..

Looking for some 'flexicoil' side frames for a SW1200. Trying MTL again as was told some time ago they would not be available as a spare part.

Also on some units there was provision to walk between units,having a raised platform and fold down plate for access purposes,to match GP9s I read. The end railing

Jim

I emailed the same question to MTL on the weekend - let's hope they do offer them as parts.

In the meantime, Chris Mears offers sideframes through Shapeways that you'd attach to the LL/Walthers truck, although I haven't bought any so can't comment on their appearance or ease of installation.
pack of 4: https://www.shapeways.com/product/CEXZ6E2X6/flexicoil-sw1200rs-sideframes-n-scale?li=shop-results&optionId=43805362
pack of 16: https://www.shapeways.com/product/CJU3U4L9V/flexicoil-sw1200rs-sideframes-n-scale-4-sets?li=shop-results&optionId=40426464

Jim Costello

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 05:47:43 AM »
Thanks,
...it looks like the Athabasca  handrail kit will do the job quite nicely, saves me drawing it up and etching here.  I only need 4 sets anyway for the SW1200.
If MTL doesn't come good then I will cast them in urethane.

Jim

screeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 04:16:28 AM »
Sounds like you've got it covered, Jim.

MTL's response was that they'll probably offer the flexicoil trucks as a packaged item in the future (and this is just my guess but I reckon 'future'= once whatever issues that caused the cancellation of the BNSF & MKT runs have been resolved)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 05:23:14 AM »
That was due to the inability toget chassis from China and not anything on MTLs end.

Jim Costello

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 05:50:31 PM »
 Still have not received a reply from MTL.
 The other disappointing news is from Athabasca is that the handrail set is out of stock and probably will not be
 restocked as the owner is retiring soon.

Does anyone have any of these sets available?
 Jim

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1816
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 07:54:31 PM »
Jim,  I have one set that I purchased for experimenting with, but it is still usable (if I can find it...).  I purchased it from Central Hobbies and I think they may still have some sets in stock.  You could send them a query:  centralhobbies@telus.net

Jim Costello

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 08:06:25 PM »
Thanks Gary for your offer.  I will contact Central Hobbies and see what they have in stock also.
I will contact you after I get some replies

Jim

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 09:43:57 PM »

Minatures by Eric used to have Flexicoil sides, IIRC.  I don't remember him having a Shopify site, but that's all I could find of him online, and I didn't see them in his online catalog.  Maybe someone else here has knowledge of another site or his email.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 10:17:25 AM »
Would the Flexicoil truck sideframes by Rapido (GMD-1) work?

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 10:58:56 PM »
Would the Flexicoil truck sideframes by Rapido (GMD-1) work?

I would think that they would but is this part available from Rapido?  If they aren't then its a situation that won't be a solution.