Author Topic: Best Of Spokane, Portland and Seattle (SP&S) 0-6-0 Project  (Read 77332 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Spokane, Portland and Seattle (SP&S) 0-6-0 Project
« Reply #330 on: September 14, 2017, 01:05:35 PM »
I just took the time to go through your latest detailing efforts on your 0-6-0 Max.  Quite inspiring, to say the least!  I find your thought processes at least as interesting as your techniques.  Thanks for the insight.  I'm waiting with anticipation what you're going to do with the backhead and crew!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Thanks, Bob  (and everyone, for such wonderful compliments!)
I plan to do the backhead much like I did the one on the SP&S 4-6-2 project, using an assortment of tiny hardware bits and wire to simulate all the pipes and valve controls.  The crew, I'm too sure about.   I hadn't even thought about putting figures in the cab (although I have a few in some of the engines on my layout).  They  are always the first thing to give away the model as "just a model" in photographs.  Of course, an engine with no crew doesn't make much sense unless it's just sitting idle on a yard track. 

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #331 on: September 14, 2017, 03:19:52 PM »
  Of course, an engine with no crew doesn't make much sense unless it's just sitting idle on a yard track.

Well, without smoke it will look  like a cold engine sitting in the yard. So crew-less is ok.  You aren't considering adding a smoke generator, are you?  :trollface:
. . . 42 . . .

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #332 on: September 14, 2017, 03:59:45 PM »
Thanks, Bob  (and everyone, for such wonderful compliments!)
I plan to do the backhead much like I did the one on the SP&S 4-6-2 project, using an assortment of tiny hardware bits and wire to simulate all the pipes and valve controls.  The crew, I'm too sure about.   I hadn't even thought about putting figures in the cab (although I have a few in some of the engines on my layout).  They  are always the first thing to give away the model as "just a model" in photographs.  Of course, an engine with no crew doesn't make much sense unless it's just sitting idle on a yard track.

Hi Max...if you do elect to use crew, I would be honored to paint them for you.  I used to be handy with a brush in my old Golden Demon figure painting days :)

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #333 on: September 16, 2017, 04:33:54 PM »
Hi Max...if you do elect to use crew, I would be honored to paint them for you.  I used to be handy with a brush in my old Golden Demon figure painting days :)

md
Mark, I appreciate the offer.  I looked up Golden Demon and discovered you were quite the prize winner for painting those figures!  Congratulations!   I don't know if I want figures in the cab or not yet.  I need to decide on that one.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #334 on: September 16, 2017, 06:20:41 PM »
I think Max may be saying he's not sure he wants figures he didn't build from scratch in the cab? :D
Otto K.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #335 on: September 16, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »
I think Max may be saying he's not sure he wants figures he didn't build from scratch in the cab? :D
Otto K.

I think you may have a point there Otto....   :D

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:22:31 AM by robert3985 »

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #336 on: September 16, 2017, 09:24:49 PM »
Otto K.

I'm not quite that nutty (although ... ;) )
If I decide to put figures in the cab, I would use commercial ones.   I will allow myself to cheat a little here because a crew are technically not part of the engine itself.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #337 on: September 17, 2017, 02:34:24 AM »
+1
And, if a better set of figures comes along, they can be replaced, without redesigning the loco.

I wonder how long it will be before 3D printing gets to the point that it can print detailed N scale figures?  It took about 30 years to go from primitive "fonts" on consumer dot matrix printers to usable home photo-quality printers.  How soon will we see a 3D printer, probably capable of only very small objects, with the resolution to do figures?  If a printer could print a cubic millimeter sized volume to an accuracy of one micron, 0.0625 scale mm, it could do recognizable individuals in N scale.  It would probably be limited to high tech micro devices at first, but eventually it would be cheap enough for our use.  Imagine having yourself as the engineer!
N Kalanaga
Be well

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #338 on: September 17, 2017, 05:04:32 PM »

snip -  How soon will we see a 3D printer, probably capable of only very small objects, with the resolution to do figures?  If a printer could print a cubic millimeter sized volume to an accuracy of one micron, 0.0625 scale mm, it could do recognizable individuals in N scale.  It would probably be limited to high tech micro devices at first, but eventually it would be cheap enough for our use.  Imagine having yourself as the engineer!
It is here already.  The Feb-Mar 2016 issue of the "2mm Magazine" had an article by Mick Simpson about a UK company, Modelu3d (https://www.modelu3d.co.uk), that offers an impressive array of figures in scales as small as 2mm = 1ft (1:152 compared to our North American N scale 1:160), which is only 5% oversize for true N scale.  In addition to their regular line, they offer whole body scanning and 3D printing of an individual.  In the article, Mick had himself scanned and printed in 4mm scale (slightly larger than HO).  The photos of some of their 2mm scale figures were impressive.

Cheers,
Greg
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:06:15 PM by PGE_Modeller »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #339 on: September 17, 2017, 05:40:34 PM »
+1
That would be great for figures in poses you can't find. Just go out and pose the position and scan. Someday...

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #340 on: September 17, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »
+1
There are several outfits printing good-quality N Scale figures. In addition to Modelu, check out 3D-Modellbau, EtchIT-Modellbau and RailNScale. Plus, new ones are appearing on Shapeways all the time--it's tough keeping up. Details on all of them at http://davidksmith.com/n-scale-figures/index.htm

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #341 on: September 17, 2017, 08:54:42 PM »
There are several outfits printing good-quality N Scale figures. In addition to Modelu, check out 3D-Modellbau, EtchIT-Modellbau and RailNScale. Plus, new ones are appearing on Shapeways all the time--it's tough keeping up. Details on all of them at http://davidksmith.com/n-scale-figures/index.htm

Thanks for that additional information, David. 

Cheers,
Greg

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #342 on: September 18, 2017, 12:49:56 AM »
Looks like the technology is advancing faster than I thought.  And, since human sizes vary by more than 5%, anyone who can print a 2mm figure could easily print an acceptable one in 1:160. 
N Kalanaga
Be well

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
  • It's pronounced Sandy AHHH Go
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #343 on: September 19, 2017, 08:22:49 PM »
This model will eventually end up in a museum.

Absolutely!

And if I can make two suggestions of where:

http://sdmrm.org/  (I'm biased as I'm on its library's staff)

or

www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:04:29 PM by SandyEggoJake »

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #344 on: September 19, 2017, 11:19:35 PM »
Absolutely!

And if I can make two suggestions of where:

http://sdmrm.org/  (I'm biased as I'm on its library's staff)

or

www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/

well that Craftsmanship Museum just went on my bucket list...!
md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/