Author Topic: Rapido Trains Meat Reefers "Whoo Hoo!"  (Read 6998 times)

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
Re: Rapido Trains Meat Reefers "Whoo Hoo!"
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 12:48:06 PM »
+1
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:27:50 PM by sd45elect2000 »

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 01:54:28 PM »
Very nice Randy thank you for the link.  That really helps fill in some information.  It's curious that Rapido has gone with a different number series that doesn't match as well.  I assume it has to do with what pictures are available.

Jason

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 02:43:17 PM »
I think the number series Rapido did was NOT for overhead brine tank rebuilds. I'm sure General American changed the numbers when they removed the end bunkers.

Randy

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 08:20:02 PM »
Well, my three arrived today, I'm generally very pleased, although I do have some nits to pick.
First the good stuff: bodymounts, free-rolling metal wheels, weigh in at a healthy 30grams/1.1 oz. (maybe too healthy for a short car?) To my eye, they appear well proportioned, a bit heftier than the M/T 36' cars which I've always felt are a bit too skinny; the Rapido bodies measure 9'-8" which is right on for a relatively "modern" car. (I think some folks tend to discount 36'meat reefers as "old time" cars, but these were relatively modern cars and the length was dictated by the meat industry standards). The underframes are very nicely rendered as well. The paint jobs are nice and crisp, and the colors look right to me for the cars I got.

As to the nits, I'm attaching some pics, and everyone can make their own judgment call about the detailing... The cars   
look good, or perhaps great, but some of the detals definitely have a bit of an exaggeration: hinges, slats, ladders etc. I'm sure this is done purposefully because the people who delivered these obviously know their stuff. The last photo is a comparo shot of the new Rapido car, with similar MT and Roundhouse cars flanking it. One could argue the MT car details are finer and closer to scale (especially if one had a better photo :facepalm:) ... the overall effect, well, more subjective. I would also prefer blackened wheels, but that's easily fixed.
I'll leave it at that ;)
Otto K.,
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:00:29 AM by Cajonpassfan »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 10:24:39 PM »
Thank you Gary!  :)

This is exactly what makes a difference between a model that looks like a fine scale model and a toy with exaggerated details.  The Rapido model might have a better underbody detail (which is not easily visible or noticed from a normal viewing angle) but the shell engraving is overdone. And the shell is what is right out there in the open.   Too bad that we have a brand new model which doesn't look as realistic as a decades old model.

Looks like all my pleas to go easy on the detail engraving fell on deaf ears.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:27:53 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 11:00:07 PM »
+1
I'd rather live with the reefers than Pete . :P I am sure Rapido will on any other future molds of other cars will adjust measurements so as to be a Pete pleaser . Weathering should help with these .

Richie Dost

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 11:18:20 PM »
Mine look pretty good. Much better than that last batch of IM boxcars. I think the hardware being painted black makes them stand out. The all red Swift cars look nice.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 11:45:39 PM »
The all red Swift cars look nice.

Did somebody say all red cars?? :D
Too new for my era; too bad...
Otto K.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:30:55 AM by Cajonpassfan »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 12:26:23 AM »
Hmm, you must be ignoring Peteski
:D

Niemozliwe, c'est impossible... :D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:28:06 AM by Cajonpassfan »

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 01:58:11 AM »
Weathering should help with these .

I'm actually concerned that weathering will make these cars worse.  The huge gaps between the boards may not work well with normal techniques that envolve any sort of wash.  While I'm hoping someone will try it. I don't want to see a $30 car ruined in the process.

Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 02:57:06 AM »
I'm actually concerned that weathering will make these cars worse.  The huge gaps between the boards may not work well with normal techniques that envolve any sort of wash.

While I might have been very vocal (when Rapido staff was showing the early pre-production shots) in hopes they would fix what I saw as a  deep  :) problem, but as you can see others share my opinion about  the exaggerated detail engraving on this model.
. . . 42 . . .

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 07:39:32 AM »
+1
I will weather all of my cars but I'll stick with airbrush techniques, no washes.

Randy

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015, 09:40:56 AM »
I'm actually concerned that weathering will make these cars worse.  The huge gaps between the boards may not work well with normal techniques that envolve any sort of wash.  While I'm hoping someone will try it. I don't want to see a $30 car ruined in the process.

Jason

This this this

As I reviewed the cars last night during a work session it was pointed out buy our own Ed K. That weathering these will exaggerate the discrepancies in the sidingu

If possible, please refer to similar atlas car for better details on similar design

Also
One not (none weathering related).  There is a coupler issue (non weight related) that presented itself out of the box

I lashed 12 of them together and put them on a 2.5 percent grade and quickly found 2 cars with faulty (weak) couplers.

They wouldn't stay coupled despite multiple iterations of positioning in the lash up

The body mounts on these 2 cars just weren't staying coupled

I tried the rat tail file trick on the knuckle... No luck

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 10:22:51 AM »
These are MTL couplers, not clones, so the spring is most likely the culprit. Stretch it out or replace it, that should correct it. I noticed the same symptoms on one of mine, a "lazy" spring.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net