Author Topic: Woodbine Industrial Track  (Read 25526 times)

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
Re: Woodbine Industrial Track
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2017, 03:29:31 PM »
Adam,

Buy yourself some of this and "roll your own" scenic cement.  A little goes a long way...

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

conrail1973

• Crew
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »
Good afternoon,

So I had a little time today to apply a wash onto the True-Track, and this is how it came out.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I also couldn't resist keeping Northern Power and Light on the sidelines, so I brought it back to the left side of the layout.

Thanks,
Adam

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7958
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2017, 09:51:10 PM »
That wash is a big improvement. Keep going!

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2017, 10:40:10 PM »
Good afternoon,

So I had a little time today to apply a wash onto the True-Track, and this is how it came out.

Thanks,
Adam

Paint the rails and ties and then you'll really be making noticeable progress.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

conrail1973

• Crew
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2017, 08:17:24 AM »
@wazzou would you suggest paint pens for the rails and ties?  That is what I found to be the case for some folks who have Unitrack.

@Ed Kapuscinski this will definitely be time consuming but rewarding in the end.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7958
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2017, 08:55:34 AM »
@Ed Kapuscinski this will definitely be time consuming but rewarding in the end.

You pretty much described every step of dealing with track and ballast.

If you REALLY want to talk time consuming but rewarding... try respacing ties on flex track!

lajmdlr

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2017, 02:01:28 PM »
Most industrial spurs aren't on a roadbed but down at ground level.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ Modeler

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2017, 07:50:16 AM »
I think the wash looks great. I would paint the rail sides with one of those Woodland Scenics paint pens made for this purpose.

Instead of lowering the track(not really possible with True Track), you can build up the area around the tracks. I would use foam sheets, the craft kind, not the construction kind...

conrail1973

• Crew
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2017, 07:27:56 AM »
It looks like Woodland Scenics has rusty rail or steel rail.  Any suggestions on which one to use?  I was looking at one of the recaps from the N-Scale Convention, and it mentioned that Atlas will be offering a True-Track transition track.  If that is the case, I could always "transition" the spurs to code 55 track and have some fun with that.

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2017, 01:45:27 PM »
Definitely the rusty version, I've never seen "steel" colored rail, and I worked on a track crew for 5 years!..

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2017, 02:38:56 AM »
Looks good...I use the pens all the time. I stay away from the brighter rust colors, that color phase is so short on steel. Joey Ricard of Trackside Scenery uses chalks in between the washes... I haven't tried those yet but his track looks good...

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

conrail1973

• Crew
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2017, 08:09:03 AM »
+1
Good Morning,

Well, I have added wash to most of the track, and I decided to add stop signs and street lights to give the layout a "new' look  :D  I also added George Roberts Printing which I have been considering for that spot for a long time.

I also removed the gravel from where I had it as ground cover on the bottom of the picture because it didn't have the look that I was aiming at for an industrial area.  I will probably explore styrene or foam sheets when I have the time for that project.

Thanks,
Adam

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +319
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2017, 04:59:15 PM »
Looks good! Definitely has the cramped feel (in a good way of course :D ) of older industrial areas I'm familiar with.

-Lucas

conrail1973

• Crew
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »
+1
@milw12  Thanks!  I'm trying to capture that industrial feel that you can find in such areas as Long Island City, NY before industrialization left for good in those areas.  On a side note for all, I decided to utilize some of my leftover black styrene along with sidewalk styrene, and I came up with this today.  I figured sidewalks were the next step for this industrial layout.

Thanks,
Adam

conrail1973

• Crew
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2017, 07:02:18 PM »
Good Evening,

Not much has been going on since the school year started, but I have worked on a few things.

If you look at past photos, I have kept 2 industries on this spur track, but it was becoming to crowded for me.  I decided to use this track for my George Roberts Printing kit.  My question is what do I do with the parking lot area?  Should I stick with black styrene for the surface and how would I make this look like a parking area for a printing company with regards to detail parts?

After 10 years, I have finally taken down the grain elevator.  I'm not modeling Milwaukee (the grain elevator was too big for my brewery), so I took one of the sheds off the elevator and placed it right next to the warehouse for my brewery.  This will be temporary or permanent until I figure out the next step in solving how the malt is unloaded at my brewery  :facepalm:

On a last note, I'm back to modeling around 1985ish because I missed having CR blue on the layout, and I can't resist the joy of running a Guilford engine on my layout :D

Adam