Author Topic: Building a Station, Neubrucke Nahe, Wa. German, Americanized.  (Read 3825 times)

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +147
Building a Station, Neubrucke Nahe, Wa. German, Americanized.
« on: November 17, 2015, 05:06:57 PM »
Hey everyone, In preparation for my N trak module, I decided it's time to start building the focal point, the station. I am using the local station, from when I was living in Germany still, Neubrucke (nahe) Bahnhof. I am planning on Americanizing the area around the station, to make it fit in with the rest of the modules in MRNS. The one point I wouldn't budge on was the station building it's self.

I have been looking at production, European stations, hoping that I can find something that I can kitbash, and get what I need, and I am not having any luck. So, after looking at the pictures, does anyone have any ideas on what kits, or components that would work? A lot of the detail stuff I can make out of simple styrine, but the arches, windows, brickwork, that kind of stuff is what I am having a difficult time finding.

(Edited Spelling, Because, I spel gud)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:51:45 PM by delamaize »
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1147
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Building a Station, Need help finding scratchbuilding supplies....
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 05:22:27 PM »
Looks like the biggest challenge will be all the arches.  A good place to start might be the back walls from the old Heljan round house kit. 

I've got a bunch if you're interested.  I was going to use them on my brewery until someone made used ConCor meat packing plant available for conversion.

I scaled them into my design program to come up with that...

Another good source of arches might be the Heljan station kit, which I used to bash this Union Station building for the Delmarva Model Railroad Club.

The details are pretty coarse, but I think you'd have a good place to start for mocking something up.

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1147
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 05:24:25 PM »
I'm pretty busy at the moment, but I could try to scale it out for you and lay it out in my design program.  I did one for Dave Foxx some months ago for Aberdeen North Carolina...

Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1782
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 05:38:22 PM »
I was also going to suggest the Heljan Cocn-Cor station but Lee beat me to it.  :)
Also, there are oodles of German prototype station kits available (lots more than what we have in U.S.).  Have you looked at all the available kits from Vollmer, Pola, Kibri, Piko, Auhagen, and other manufacturer I missed mentioning?

DM-Toys has a large assortment of their kits available.

Another avenue would be to design it on a computer and have it laser-cut.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:40:01 PM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 05:44:36 PM »

I have been looking at production, European stations, hoping that I can find something that I can kitbash, and get what I need, and I am not having any luck. So, after looking at the pictures, does anyone have any ideas on what kits, or components that would work?

Found this Druebeck station from Artitec:

Or you could have Monster Modelworks laser cut the wall sections for you:

http://monstermodelworks.com/N-Scale/N-Brick-Sheets/Brick-Sheet-Cutting-Service.html
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:52:36 PM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Director
https://nrmrc.org/

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 06:16:18 PM »
Auhagen Krakow Station.

--- Peteski de Snarkski

chrismears

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 07:11:37 PM »
Henk Oversloot has published some superb articles on scratchbuilding in N scale and, in particular, modelling brick buildings using a variety of materials ranging from printed papers through to casting custom brick sheets. He's documented so much of this in great detail with lovely photos on his website. This URL should take you to one of these pages:
http://www.fs160.eu/fiNeweb/Bconstruction/plastcon/station.php

Hope this helps.

/chris

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 12:29:24 AM »
I'm pretty busy at the moment, but I could try to scale it out for you and lay it out in my design program.  I did one for Dave Foxx some months ago for Aberdeen North Carolina...

Or you could have Monster Modelworks laser cut the wall sections for you:

http://monstermodelworks.com/N-Scale/N-Brick-Sheets/Brick-Sheet-Cutting-Service.html

I didn't even think about having it laser cut. That might be the easiest way, and give me the best out come. I have never done the artwork to do it though. anyone have any sugestions for software and tutorials on the proper way to do the artwork?
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1991
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 08:20:10 AM »
I think some of the DPM kits have arched windows. They'll probably be a pain in the butt, but at least there's consistency across kits for your mix and match needs.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 12:30:25 AM »
I think some of the DPM kits have arched windows. They'll probably be a pain in the butt, but at least there's consistency across kits for your mix and match needs.

DPM Kits....Hmmmm.....
Looking at woodland's Modular building stuff, I see some things that might work for the upper floors, window type is close enough, and spacing looks petty good....

Does anyone have Erik's Emporium or Char's Soda Shoppe kits? the archways for the 2nd floor windows look close enough, I'm just wondering if the decorative brickwork over the arches is a cast on part, or if it's a add on part. If it's seperate, then I think I may have figured this out....
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:35:03 AM by delamaize »
Mike

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 01:05:03 AM »

Does anyone have Erik's Emporium or Char's Soda Shoppe kits? the archways for the 2nd floor windows look close enough, I'm just wondering if the decorative brickwork over the arches is a cast on part, or if it's a add on part. If it's seperate, then I think I may have figured this out....

In those simple kits all the details are molded with the wall.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 01:24:43 AM »
In those simple kits all the details are molded with the wall.

Damn....

Also, Found this kit. Heljan Passenger station Kit #640.
it's pretty damn close, I think with 2 of those kits, I could get the basic shape of what I need.....

Also, Lee, I might take you up on those roundhouse parts....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HELJAN-N-SCALE-PASSENGER-TRAIN-STATION-KIT-640-/272030066254
Mike

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 02:05:08 AM »
Damn....

Also, Found this kit. Heljan Passenger station Kit #640.
it's pretty damn close, I think with 2 of those kits, I could get the basic shape of what I need.....

Yeah, that is the kit Lee and I mentioned earlier in this thread.  The thing I don't like about that one is the very thick muntins (some incorrectly call them mullions) in the windows.  But that is expected in a kit which was made probably close to 40 years ago.  :)
--- Peteski de Snarkski

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 02:21:24 AM »
Yeah, that is the kit Lee and I mentioned earlier in this thread.  The thing I don't like about that one is the very thick muntins (some incorrectly call them mullions) in the windows.  But that is expected in a kit which was made probably close to 40 years ago.  :)

Ah ok, Gotcha, I guess I was thinking of a different station kit when I read the comments.... :facepalm:
Mike

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 01:13:01 AM »
Now that I'm actually starting to work on the module, it's time to dig this back up. I think I want to try to have it laser cut. I'm wiling to give making the artwork done myself, but I need to know what software I should be using to make the drawing, and I would appreciate any pointer that I could get!
Mike