Author Topic: GHB, GHQ, and Minitrix PRR L1 kitbash comparo  (Read 4177 times)

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
Re: GHB, GHQ, and Minitrix PRR L1 kitbash comparo
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 09:03:36 AM »
Yeah here is Max's hippo. Just terrific!

Holy Max Cow!!! That is insanely crazy off the charts unbelievably unreal modeling.  :D Thanks for posting that pic, how did I miss that? And where was that discussed? I think my mind has been changed

I have always felt the GHQ boiler shell was closer in scale to the I1sa, which is the subject of my other thread

Do you have a link? I don't see the above link you are referencing, I would like to follow that action...Thanks
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 07:35:34 PM »
Not sure if there was a Railwire thread, but here's the one on the old Atlas board:
http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37521
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 07:46:40 PM »
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 01:58:34 AM »
+2
Thanks! (on the I1s), although it was not my intent to solicit pats on the back for that project. 
For those who asked: links to its construction on the old Atlas forum are here:
http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=37911
http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=39173
And a write-up on the project is in the Nov 2007, Dec 2007, and Jan 2008 Railroad Model Craftsman magazine.

I brought it up in here only because I did a lot of measuring and comparing between the prototype i1, the GHQ L1 shell,
and the Trix K4 shell, and posted it all in that I1 project thread.  I came to the conclusion that, fat or not,
the GHQ shell was still the best-looking.

I have one of the L1s GHQ kits built as an L1s, and I still like the looks of it.   But now that John mentions this
whole "fatness" topic, it is true that from certain angles, I always had a feeling on the L1 that the boiler hangs
too "wide" of the drivers,

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3186
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 06:22:19 AM »
Thanks! (on the I1s), although it was not my intent to solicit pats on the back for that project. 
For those who asked: links to its construction on the old Atlas forum are here:
http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=37911
http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=39173
And a write-up on the project is in the Nov 2007, Dec 2007, and Jan 2008 Railroad Model Craftsman magazine.

I brought it up in here only because I did a lot of measuring and comparing between the prototype i1, the GHQ L1 shell,
and the Trix K4 shell, and posted it all in that I1 project thread.  I came to the conclusion that, fat or not,
the GHQ shell was still the best-looking.

I have one of the L1s GHQ kits built as an L1s, and I still like the looks of it.   But now that John mentions this
whole "fatness" topic, it is true that from certain angles, I always had a feeling on the L1 that the boiler hangs
too "wide" of the drivers,

All, please don't get me wrong, I did not intend this to be a GHQ shell slamfest.  I only wanted to share the comparison.

Max, it is refreshing to see those threads and thanks for sharing the links. I never read them before today as I was not a member at that time.  They just reinvigorated my version with the laird slides that you sent me.  I'm still hung up on the linkage bits...

It's funny to read LouD ask @Dave Vollmer how new he was to the A forum back in 2007 on that first page, and mentioning yout T1.  Miss Lou sometimes!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 10:49:38 AM »

Max, it is refreshing to see those threads and thanks for sharing the links. I never read them before today as I was not a member at that time.  They just reinvigorated my version with the laird slides that you sent me.  I'm still hung up on the linkage bits...

It's funny to read LouD ask @Dave Vollmer how new he was to the A forum back in 2007 on that first page, and mentioning yout T1.  Miss Lou sometimes!

I really applaud Atlas for keeping the forum up - it is a great resource full of very useful info.

Is LouD no longer with us or just not participating in this forum?
. . . 42 . . .

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 11:05:04 AM »

No worries, I think everyone here knows where you're coming from. I'm just glad you're willing to share how you did it. So, if doing that kitbash today, would you do anything different?
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
I really applaud Atlas for keeping the forum up - it is a great resource full of very useful info.

Is LouD no longer with us or just not participating in this forum?

I think the Atlas "LouD" is our "LV Lou" (Both from the same place in PA so I'm guessing).  Not active since March 3rd, 2015. I hope he's okay.

Update: I looked on Trainboard and he's been active there as of Oct 4th, 2015 although he hasn't posted there in a really long time.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:45:52 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »
I exchanged some emails with Lou a few days ago, so I assume he's just fine.

What would I do differently?   

1. Probably make a more conventional PRR long-distance tender

2.  I would make a jig on a piece of styrene for setting up the 5th driver, like Jason Smith showed this on some
of his x-10-x and x-12-x locos, instead of the fairly difficult measuring and shimming I had to do on mine to
properly locate the additional driver.

3. If I could scare up Kato GS4 tender trucks, I would use those instead of ConCor or Bachmann 6-wheel trucks, since their
pickup works better.

4. Probably use a Fox Valley wheelset in the pilot truck instead of Atlas.

I think that's about it.  Otherwise, the motor/gearhead choice and cosmetic aspects of it still make me very happy. 
All the old PRR stuff I built based on Rivarossi frames back in the 90s looks pretty dated now. 
But the I1 still looks good next to current steam models.  I think of it as the first of my "new generation"
style of steam building.     And it pulls like a team of oxen, so I've got no complaints there.