Author Topic: Weekend Update 10/4/15  (Read 10068 times)

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
Re: Weekend Update 10/4/15
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 01:41:42 PM »
Progress on NS 7243.

Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 02:17:36 PM »
More HOn30  :D

A while back I was looking through all my N scale steam for a chassis with the right drivers and right spacing to make a Forney.
... snip...

Ran good so I ran to the computer and drew up some parts to build one. The parts came today and I built up the cab.

Chris, that photoetched body is fanTASTIC!  You are such a master at doing the drawings and getting those etched
parts to come out right.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 03:29:18 PM »
Just posted  ;) https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=37147.0

I use PPD in Scotland. I draw in CAD if that is what you use I can send you the file to look at.

As for design. Really I just guess from years of building etched kits. Sometimes I screw up the fit a hair.

Thank you for the offer. I myself do not have any experience with CAD, but I know a few people who use it. Just looking into my options for making a few parts (I could probably hand-make them, but am always open to other options). Again, thank you for the help. Very good work.
- Christian J. Davis

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 04:42:13 PM »
Finally got around to filming my Trackmobile doing some switching.

Out of all the critters I've designed, this is definitely the smallest one that runs the best, both for pickup and tractive effort.  It's held up well with little additional work needed.

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 06:57:27 PM »
Quote from: eric220

10 print "fap"
20 goto 10

Nothing worse than getting stuck in a loop, let me fix that for you,
05 counter = 0
10 print "fap"
15 counter = counter + 1
20 if counter > 20 goto 30
25 goto 10
30 system

There you go, no more end less loop :)

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 07:26:38 PM »
Here are a few BLMA 60' GSC (F47) flatcars I am getting ready for my Conrail roster.  CR 716389 is an ex PRR car that was painted out by Conrail's Reading Car Shop.  CR 716395 is an ex PRR car that was painted out by Conrail's Hollidaysburg Car Shop.  Finally, PRR 480353 just had COTS added to it as it had not received any CR reporting marks as of May 94 (when I saw it at Hollidaysburg).  This was an easier decal project, but still took several hours due to the reweigh codes and dates being individual letters & numbers.  Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff Lopez

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 08:13:09 PM »
I spent all afternoon, into the evening  :facepalm:, hooking up JMRI and at least getting the locomotive address into the decoders.  Using the computer is so much easier than the Zephyr :o

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 11:13:21 PM »
@arbomambo  What did you use for dirt?  Also, how did you do the striping on the road?

@Chris333  Any chance I could check out those CAD files?

Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 11:54:59 PM »
I spent all afternoon, into the evening  :facepalm:, hooking up JMRI and at least getting the locomotive address into the decoders.  Using the computer is so much easier than the Zephyr :o

Yeah! Definitely an easy chore with JMRI. Did you get the PR3 hooked up?

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 02:24:42 AM »
Per the IM War Emergency Box Car thread...

I think I got everything pretty close based on a couple good straight on shots.  Now to find time to turn it into a 3D drawing.  :|

Jason

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2015, 04:06:58 AM »
Chris and Randy, Outstanding!!!! 8)  I have to say that in the relatively short time I've been here I have found many interesting posts from many participants but especially you two have posts that are ALWAYS worth at least a read and frequently unveil some of the coolest stuff ever.  These latest two don't disappoint. :)

Randy, do you have any idea what the finished weight was? Chassis, body, added weight, or just the whole thing?

I've been busy since spring with my seasonal job but getting ready to get back at some serious work on my miniature Nn3/ Z chassis.  All summer I've been doing longevity tests (a few thousand hours) and a few very minor changes but today I actually made some crudely executed but testable wheel pickups from beryllium copper and have them running on the test track.  I'm trying just about every variation and material throughout this thing to get both the best reliable performance (or at least best value) as well as a knowledge base that I can draw on with certainty.  This is just one more little thing and I figured I could get some hours on the material before final detailing this winter.  So far, so good, but the proof will be after a few hundred hours.  This winter I should be able to make what I hope to be a final chassis and components for my mine loco, all of which I will make in several materials, and begin final testing of that.  At least some tungsten parts will be tested.   I also hope to complete an N scale version of that which should be fairly easy once the Nn3/ Z truck is done.  Then finalize DCC in the mine loco.  I've already done it and it performed really well but I would like a cleaner mounting arrangement than I had to make servicing easier.  Also hope to get started on a basic power truck (no compensation) to use in two truck N, Nn3, and Z applications or as a lower cost two axle truck alternative. The goal would be something readily customized with various wheel bases and wheel diameters.  And last but not least, some gear hobbing and testing of smaller gears for an even smaller version of all of this. :o  I think I've got enough to keep me busy for a few years to come.  It has become an obsession.

This has been a fun venture with an unbelievable number of details that matter in what appears at a glance to be very simple little device.  If it was just for me, which is how it started, I've got several variations that perform well and I'd use them and call it done.  But as it evolved, the effort now is to come up with a reliable, saleable product and that takes everything to another level.  Next weekend should be my last four day seasonal work trip and then I should be able to get some real time on this again.  It's really pretty far along with the end in sight and I'm really quite pleased with how it's come together.  Early on it wasn't clear that what I wanted to do could even be done.  By now I'm clear not only that it can be done but that it's a viable product with outstanding performance.  Silent running, reliable super slow running, axle compensation for reliable 4 wheel track power pickup, gearing options that can exceed 100:1 for good scale speed performance, and all while being smaller (especially low profile) than anything I've found and yet heavier as a bare chassis than anything that attempts to be anywhere near this small.  It's got more than a few very unique details that let it all work.  I've invested many hours getting to this point and will invest quite a few more before I'm done but what's coming together here is something I won't be afraid to put my name on.  ;)
Mark G.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2015, 04:25:12 AM »
Narrow minded, do you go by Tracktoo on youtube?  I've been wanting to try out that chassis.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 04:30:47 AM »
These came today from Shapeways and I built them up. They are the pilot and cylinders for the HOn30 Forney and plug into the front driver slot. At first these were 2 separate pieces, but I had to cut so much frame away that they needed to be joined. I still don't know 3D. I drew these in 2D and had someone else .stl them for me.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2015, 08:58:21 AM »
@Iain ...
I use a mix of items for the gravel/dirt roadbed...Z scale Highball 'limestone' ballast, Woodland Scenics fine 'gray gravel, and Arizona Rock and Minerals "Earth" pigment powder...
I used the Woodland  Scenics striping pens to stripe the roads; Sharpie also have some yellow and white oil-based fine point pens...I've used them but with a little less success.
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

Scott Lupia

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »

My latest batch of etchings arrived this week.  In the package were sets for EL business cars 1, 2, 3 and 4.  This is car number 4 which wore Erie two tone green paint throughout the EL years.  Its number was changed to 6 at some point.  The car is a converted 10-1-2 sleeper, Hidden Lake.  The car sits today next to the Susquehanna tracks at Midland Park, NJ.  Chris mentioned earlier about always being off by a hair with his etchings.  I found out I forgot to add a tang on one end of the letterboard on most of the sets of artwork . The result is letterboards attached on one end to the fret and flapping in the wind.  Its always something!

Scott Lupia
"All I wanted was a Pepsi"