Author Topic: Received My GHB L1 From Factory Direct Trains  (Read 6191 times)

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
Re: Received My GHB L1 From Factory Direct Trains
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 06:37:40 PM »
Hmmmm... the wheel gauge "problem" doesn't seem to be any worse (narrow) than what I see in the brand new Arnold SW1.  :facepalm:  It will run ok on Peco or Atlas C70 layouts but will not traverse Atlas C55 turnouts and probably any of the hand-laid turnouts.  the wheels will climb up on either the guard rail or one of the frog's wing rails.

I wonder how it would on Kato turnouts ?   

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 08:03:33 PM »

I wonder how it would on Kato turnouts ?   

I don't have any to try. But it the flange-ways are wider than the ones in Atlast C55 turnouts then it should work.  Maybe someone else out there can check that for you.
. . . 42 . . .

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »
I wish manufacturers would make a move toward tighter tolerances (like Atlas has with some code 80 and all code 55 switches) because trains actually run more reliably with those tolerances than they do with the sloppier ones of old and present of most makers. It bugs me when these new locomotives don't meet NMRA specs. for wheel gauge. They finally got the flange size down so why is it so tough to put the wheels on the axles the right distance apart?

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 09:02:13 PM »
I wish manufacturers would make a move toward tighter tolerances (like Atlas has with some code 80 and all code 55 switches) because trains actually run more reliably with those tolerances than they do with the sloppier ones of old and present of most makers. It bugs me when these new locomotives don't meet NMRA specs. for wheel gauge. They finally got the flange size down so why is it so tough to put the wheels on the axles the right distance apart?

Doug

Yes yes yes yes YES.... for the love of all that is holy, YES.
On every single engine I have ever bought, I have had to spread the wheels.  This is ridiculous.   

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2015, 06:27:05 AM »
Most of these where sent back to the factory to have this and other issues fixed
Factory direct said F it and just sold them
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »
Question for those of you who have taken the model apart:  Does it have a DCC decoder installed or is it strictly DC (the motor is wired directly to the track pickups)  Are the LED headlights also wired directly to the track pickups?

Why am I asking?  Gary in this thread  states that he was able to put this model on a DCC programming track and change its travel direction by reprogramming it (while also messing up the way headlights work).  Unless the model has a DCC decoder installed I don't see any possible way this could work on a DC-only model.
. . . 42 . . .

kornellred

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
+1
My GHB L1s is completely torn down.  There is no DCC decoder on board these models.  There is an approximately 1/2"square circuit board in the tender with an 8-pin DIP socket and an 8-pin DIP plug with various components used for bi-directional constant intensity lighting.  Both the headlight and tender light LED's are wired to  solder pads on the circuit board.  From the circuit board, six wires are routed to the engine: 2 wires for the motor leads, 2 wires for the headlight, and two wires for electrical pick-up from the two middle drivers.  No direct connection from power pick-up to either the motor or the LED's.

I edited the LED wiring spiel a few minutes after I posted this reply.  And again - the DIP socket and plug on the circuit board are 8-pin
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:19:18 PM by kornellred »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 05:29:50 PM »
My GHB L1s is completely torn down.  There is no DCC decoder on board these models.  There is an approximately 1/2"square circuit board in the tender with an 8-pin DIP socket and an 8-pin DIP plug with various components used for bi-directional constant intensity lighting.  Both the headlight and tender light LED's are wired to  solder pads on the circuit board.  From the circuit board, six wires are routed to the engine: 2 wires for the motor leads, 2 wires for the headlight, and two wires for electrical pick-up from the two middle drivers.  No direct connection from power pick-up to either the motor or the LED's.

I edited the LED wiring spiel a few minutes after I posted this reply.  And again - the DIP socket and plug on the circuit board are 8-pin

Ok, thanks.  So unless someone somehow installed a decoder in Gary's model there is no possible way I could think of that he could have reprogrammed the loco's travel direction by reprogramming it on DCC programming track.
. . . 42 . . .

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 11:15:32 AM »
My GHB L1s is completely torn down. 

You know the net, pics or it didn't happen.   ;)  :D  If possible, it could help those of us (me) who can only follow the trail blazed by others with this kind of stuff.  :oops:
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 01:15:58 PM »
You know the net, pics or it didn't happen.   ;)  :D  If possible, it could help those of us (me) who can only follow the trail blazed by others with this kind of stuff.  :oops:

including me!
would appreciate a glimpse of what I may be getting myself into
thanks
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

kornellred

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 02:39:49 PM »

Pardon me, gentlemen - but it would take me days to figure out how to post pictures on the internet, as I have never done it before.  I can take pictures of the disassembled model and email them as attachments to whoever might be interested.  My email address is willie2982@gmail.com.
In the meantime, owners of the GHB L1 can simply pop the body off the tender (4 tiny screws at the corners of the chassis), remove the black electrical tape from the circuit board, and verify the correctness of my claim.  Work carefully - those wires are fragile, especially at the plug end of the harness that goes to the locomotive.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 02:42:01 PM »
Pardon me, gentlemen - but it would take me days to figure out how to post pictures on the internet, as I have never done it before.  I can take pictures of the disassembled model and email them as attachments to whoever might be interested.  My email address is willie2982@gmail.com.
In the meantime, owners of the GHB L1 can simply pop the body off the tender (4 tiny screws at the corners of the chassis), remove the black electrical tape from the circuit board, and verify the correctness of my claim.  Work carefully - those wires are fragile, especially at the plug end of the harness that goes to the locomotive.

Snap them with a smart phone.
open TRW in the smartphone browser and log in.
Reply to this post on the phone.
Use the "Attachments and Other Options button in the lower left corner to attach photos, following the directions.

Done and done.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 02:44:56 PM »
@kornellred
that is good of you
I am somewhat challenged in eye-hand coordination
so I need to decide if I will attempt such tiny surgery