Author Topic: K4- Bachmann vs. Trix  (Read 7178 times)

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
K4- Bachmann vs. Trix
« on: September 19, 2015, 10:54:17 AM »
Someone sold me this nice Kato Japanese C55 with Trix shell a few years ago. I fixed up the tender and repainted the boiler. It's unfinished but have a look and compare.
What do you guys think about both models? Strenghts? Weakensses? What did Bachmann get right or wrong?
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +928
Re: K4- Bachmann vs. Trix
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 11:12:56 AM »
Well, the mechanisms are clearly different.  The valve gear on the C55 isn't correct (I'm assuming Bachmann got it's version right; I'm not a SPF, so I don't really know), and the drivers are clearly bigger.  On the other hand, I like the closer coupling of the tender on the Kato model.  But the tender truck spacing is different, and the trucks themselves look different.  The engine trailing truck is different on the C55 as well.

As far as the boiler shells go, again, I'm not an SPF, so I can't comment on the detail accuracy, but the Bachmann version looks more . . . refined . . . to my eyes.  Less clunky, if you will.  Some light weathering on both would be beneficial to bring out the details on the shell that you can't really see in the photo.

I will say that I bought a Bachmann K4 on a lark (not much use for it on my NKP layout, except perhaps to pretend that the NKP borrowed one to run a passenger train from Chicago to Bellevue before handing it back) and it's an impressive effort by Bachmann.  I wish the Berk ran as well (heck, I'd take 80% as well).  The mechanism is smooth; slow speed performance is excellent; although the "creep" at speed step 1 could be better, that's likely a function of the decoder, not the mechanism.  And the thing will pull a ton - it will out-pull two Atlas GP7 diesels and out-pull all of my Berks (whether the LL or Bachmann version) and my Kato Mikes (all equipped with the traction tire driver, BTW).  It easily did 35 of my weighted 40-foot boxcars on my flat layout, so I can't see it having much problem with a passenger consist on even a 2% grade.  It's not quite an FEF, Challenger or Big Boy in the pulling category, but it isn't far behind, and given it's size, that is truly amazing.

The sound, unfortunately, isn't great to my ears.  It's "tinny," as a result of Bachmann using a cheap 15mm round speaker with no separate enclosure in the bottom of the tender floor.  But any improvement in the sound would require stripping out the Bachmann components and putting in a new decoder/speaker (it could be done pretty easily; I took the tender shell off, and there's plenty of room in there for an ESU LokSound and a Knowles Donau 11x15 in a separate enclosure - a bonus would be almost-certain better low-speed with an ESU decoder).   Since this isn't something I'll run regularly on my NKP layout, though, I'm probably not going to go the sound-improvement route.  But mechanically, the thing is a complete winner.   If I were a Pennsy modeler, I'd buy a dozen of them.

John C.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 11:16:39 AM »
The cab dimensions are very different! :o

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »
I see typical Bachmann tooling, rivets out in space instead of where they should be, poor cab roof contour and other general laziness.  I couldn't figure it out, but the Bachmann model seems to lack some heftiness of the prototype.  Your picture makes it look like it's the drivers, but it could just be an illusion.  How do the Trix and Bachmann drivers compare in size?

Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »
Since I don't know much about the real locos, I can't really give an opinion about the overall looks. But what jumps out at me about Bachmann is the chunkiness of its valve gear and siderods.  They are just cheap stamped-metal pieces. Kato, OTOH uses much finer relief-etched photoetched stainless steel parts. It looks less toy-like and more like a fine scale model.
. . . 42 . . .

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 01:07:38 PM »
They definitely missed somethings.  PRR 1361 south of York:

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
 And 3750 at Strasburg:

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 01:18:34 PM »
I'm not an SPF nor one of the K4 crowd... but in comparison to the proto shots, the proportions of the B'mann are really off. While details are better with the new tooling, smokebox seems like it's... gosh... as much as two feet too small in diameter. Maybe it was done that way to make the boiler seams stand out more - seams are barely visible on the proto, but smack you in the face with both models. FWIW. :|

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 01:31:43 PM »
+1
Someone sold me this nice Kato Japanese C55 with Trix shell a few years ago. I fixed up the tender and repainted the boiler. It's unfinished but have a look and compare.
What do you guys think about both models? Strenghts? Weakensses? What did Bachmann get right or wrong?

:RUEffinKiddingMe:

I think you (and others) should stop trying to compare the Bachmann model to a 50-year-old inferior model (whether enhanced or not) and judge it on its own merits.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 01:47:41 PM »
:RUEffinKiddingMe:

I think you (and others) should stop trying to compare the Bachmann model to a 50-year-old inferior model (whether enhanced or not) and judge it on its own merits.

I would respectfully disagree. Within an hour I was comparing my Bachmann and Trix models. Overall, I was actually impressed with how well the Trix stood up. Yes, the tooling is less refined, and it needs some lipstick, but for the most part the same appliances and bits are present. I'd guess that most people who own both have done this comparison.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Spikre

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 02:24:52 PM »
 :|
   the Bachman drivers look way too small for a K4s,should be about {79"} 80",
  but look about 69".
  did they use Berkshire size drivers on the K4s ?
  the kit bash uses those ODD Bachman tender trucks,why is that ?
  any way there is a K4s looking loco readily available now.
  Edit -- the K4s drawing shows 80" drivers,my bad !!
     Spikre
       :?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:50:07 PM by Spikre »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8569
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 02:28:18 PM »
But we're not really comparing the Bachmann K4 to the Trix K4.  We're comparing it to a kitbashed one, so all of the comments about running gear are moot.  In fact, I see Josh has added details to the boiler that are not present on the stock Trix model.

I think a fair comparison would be a straight Trix K4.

Regardless of what we decide here, the Bachmann models are selling.  Every time I check MBK, the supply is lower.

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 02:33:22 PM »
Overall, I was actually impressed with how well the Trix stood up. Yes, the tooling is less refined, and it needs some lipstick, but for the most part the same appliances and bits are present.

This was more or less the same conclusion I came up with in posting a Trix K4 thread over in "Product Discussions"; see "Beating a Dead Horse"....

I don't remember; does every loco from every manufacturer receive the same scrutiny as when Bachmann offers something new? Or is it just with this release, as it seems it's been such a long time in coming, and represents such an "important" engine? Just asking here, not trying to stir the pot...

Mark in Oregon

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 02:36:36 PM »
That tricked out Trix (pun intended) looks almost like a K-4.

An Dave, did yours finally get to you today.

P.S.  Dave watching the Thunderbirds perform over the house today from the AAFB airshow.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 02:42:47 PM »
I would respectfully disagree. Within an hour I was comparing my Bachmann and Trix models. Overall, I was actually impressed with how well the Trix stood up. Yes, the tooling is less refined, and it needs some lipstick, but for the most part the same appliances and bits are present. I'd guess that most people who own both have done this comparison.

I was also impressed the Trix shell held up with its lipstick.

In fact, I see Josh has added details to the boiler that are not present on the stock Trix model.

I think a fair comparison would be a straight Trix.

I also pimped out tender! ;)

There probably is "no comparison" with a stock Trix.

Remember, for the sake of Tom Mann's sanity, keep it constructive!
Everyone has to say something they like about the Bachmann.

I really like the Kiesel tender trucks!

This was more or less the same conclusion I came up with in posting a Trix K4 thread over in "Product Discussions"; see "Beating a Dead Horse"....

I don't remember; does every loco from every manufacturer receive the same scrutiny as when Bachmann offers something new? Or is it just with this release, as it seems it's been such a long time in coming, and represents such an "important" engine? Just asking here, not trying to stir the pot...

Mark in Oregon

Yes. It's a K4, and we're a bunch of nerds. ;)
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."