Author Topic: Zephyr Xtra Blast Mode  (Read 1238 times)

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
Zephyr Xtra Blast Mode
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:43:58 PM »
For a number of years I have used a Digitrax Zephyr on my workbench (two floors above the layout with Radio Super Chief) for testing and programming.  I haven't had consistent luck programming some sound equipped locos like BLI.  I just noticed that the Zephyr Xtra has "blast mode for sound programming."

Does anyone have experience to share regarding blast mode especially with BLI locos?

Thanks.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
Re: Zephyr Xtra Blast Mode
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 11:20:26 PM »
Roger,

I'm probably wasting your time and I do not have any experience with BLI and whatever brand of decoder they use.

Having said that, I can share my efforts to read/write, program Tsunami decoders. All of this is N scale. I have one of the Zephyrs from the very first run. It worked well with a non sound decoder but I was never able to program the Tsunami's. I tried everything suggested, such as  resistors across the rails, a special program track booster. Nothing worked. I called Dtraxx and they suggested changing the internal switch to "blast mode". That did nothing at all either. I fixed my problem, I purchased an NCE Powercab and have had no problems at all with sound decoders. I know that did not answer your question but IMHO the Zephyr just is not made to program sound, any brand, decoders.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
Re: Zephyr Xtra Blast Mode
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 08:26:40 PM »
Blast mode programming must be done on the main line. Remove everything except the loco you want to program. You Zephyr or Zephyr extra will program just like an Empire Builder. NCE Powercab works because it programs in a similar manner.
BTW, it's not the system that is screwed up. It's programming outputs meet NMRA standards. The sound decoders are the issue. They take more current to program then the standard. And just think. Digitrax put Blast mode in Zephyrs just in case decoder manufacturers decided to change the playing field because blast mode existed before those decoders came out.

Martin Myers