Author Topic: Monadnock  (Read 5363 times)

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
Re: Monadnock (was "Small layout challenge")
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 12:51:06 PM »
Ditched the kickback and printed out a full sized plan. Overall I'm pretty happy with it and I think it will go ahead. The spur for the fuel dealer needs to be lengthened and I'm still not sure about the lumber mill, but it's there for now. That track will be an industry, just not sure what yet. A baggage car and a single coach were the standard passenger train on this branch, so that's why the RPO/baggage is next to the RDC, to give an idea of two cars at the station.

What do you think?

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 12:18:27 AM »
Shifted everything to the left a little bit and added another small industrial track. Unfortunately it's reached by a kick back.

Are you utilizing the space efficiently? Why limit yourself to such short spurs In the front right and middle left? Ideally they would be the same length as you have room on your run around or tail track. Make one spur longer than a tail track and you have an operating challenge if all the cars spotted there need to be pulled.

You could have the track that leaves the front center turn out curve off the front edge to an "aisle industry, and add a diverging route further up that part of the run around that accesses an industry in the lower right portion of your space.
Peter Pfotenhauer

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 09:18:47 AM »
Are you utilizing the space efficiently? Why limit yourself to such short spurs In the front right and middle left? Ideally they would be the same length as you have room on your run around or tail track. Make one spur longer than a tail track and you have an operating challenge if all the cars spotted there need to be pulled.

You could have the track that leaves the front center turn out curve off the front edge to an "aisle industry, and add a diverging route further up that part of the run around that accesses an industry in the lower right portion of your space.

The track for the fuel dealer will be lengthened. Otherwise, I've added the buildings to the plan, it may make more sense now.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 10:50:21 PM »
I suggest putting the team track behind the station, as a house track. Give enough space between it and the station for a truck to drive thru. You might need a Y switch to do this. This would let you put a (possibly larger) freight house parallel to the station but on the outside edge of the layout, and space for a big parking lot/driveway. You also get a longer team track, option for a side loading ramp where the freight  station is now, and the visual of the spur ending right at the road -- where cars are unloaded right into a truck.

garethashenden

• Crew
Re: Monadnock
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 09:53:49 AM »
+1
Well I've finally started.

Hang it on the wall and it looks a bit like modern art.

mighalpern

• Crew
  • Respect: +142
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »
Wow
I thought you were using flex track and pre-built turnouts.
 Very nice
thats got to take some time to solder all that rail. 
what will you use to color the ties?

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 07:00:39 AM »
+1
Wow
I thought you were using flex track and pre-built turnouts.
 Very nice
thats got to take some time to solder all that rail. 
what will you use to color the ties?

It's taking considerably longer to lay the ties than to solder the rails. I drew the trackplan in Templot and then I printed it out. I've been using double sided tape to hold the ties to the template. It's code 40 rail.

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 10:50:24 AM »
Wow.
That's a lot of pc board ties!
Any specific reason why you're going all pc board ties?
Having them every 4th or 5th tie would maintain track spacing just fine, and using wooden ties between would be faster/cheaper.
(Not to mention it'd reduce the number of iso cuts down the center  8) )

And for the turnouts, many of us have found that fewer pc board ties result in better curves & better operating turnouts.
Even on multi-turnout fixtures, you only need a few in key locations:

Looking forward to seeing your progress!
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »
+1
"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

Yeah it's been a while.  :|

Got two switches done and a few other bits.

As for why it's all pcb, when I started it was easiest to use supplies from the 2mm association. £5.00 for 500 (~$7.50). Now that I'm back in the States wood ties are easier to get so I'll look into it. Or I may keep things consistent. We shall see.

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 12:51:05 PM »
Did some conceptualization work yesterday. Made a model of the model