Author Topic: Show Us your Weathering, Detailing and Scratch building!  (Read 27613 times)

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
Re: Show Us your Weathering, Detailing and Scratch building!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 12:39:31 AM »
Sure, but now the image is washed out, how my photos look, is about how I see them in real life.

Maybe you need to re-evaluate your layout lighting--at least for photos.

That and I believe editing photos takes the fun out of photography....

You lost me on that one.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:42:33 AM by jimmo »
James R. Will

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 01:28:24 AM »
You lost me on that one.

I was thinking the same thing. :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Photo software is just another tool to use for model photos, just like, say, a camera!...

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +125
    • IG
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 01:42:45 AM »
Ok ill reevaluate my lighting issues when you buy me a house. :ashat:
And no I don't like editing my photos, for me I'm old school, I do the best with what I have.
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 01:58:11 AM »
As I see this, (not considering the individual forum members' monitor settings for brightness and contrast), the original nscaler711's photo had a nice contrast, but due to the black loco being much darker than the other items in the photo, made the black loco underexposed. It was just a very dark object with not much visible weathering on it.  Maybe if I cranked the brightness on my monitor, I might have been able to see more of the subtle weathering.

Jimmo edited the photo to shift the gray tone balance. Probably just changed the Gamma value.  That brought out the weathering, while also brightening the entire image. IMO he did that simply to show that the model actually has some good weathering applied to it other than just being a black monolith.

for all we know nscaler711 has his computer monitor's brightness cranked way up and he was able to see the weathering on his original photo and Jimmo's edit looks really washed out on his monitor.  :|
. . . 42 . . .

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 06:17:23 AM »
And no I don't like editing my photos, for me I'm old school, I do the best with what I have.

Oh, your still using film?...I used to hate waiting to get pics back from the lab. :trollface:

In all seriousness, I first used photo software 10 years before digital cameras became the "norm"..And I stand by my statement that photo software is a useful tool, just like a digital camera. Now you don't have to use it, but it's very useful and it can improve your photos if you give it a chance...Generally, I just use it to crop unwanted clutter from my photos, and sometimes to make up for less than stellar lighting, a problem that some might say is affecting your photos!....I appreciate what you said about doing the best with what you have, but is it really the "best" you can do ?...If cost of the photo program is an issue, I recommend GIMP, a free photo software program, though I prefer Corel PaintShop personally, but it costs money.

Please don't take this as a bash from me about your photo skills, it is your hobby!..Think of this as "better modeling through peer pressure", or something like that. A better photo is usually a desirable thing, just ask Sasquatch enthusiasts!

And I think the model looks great....And handmade grabs that look that good could not have been an easy task!--Well done! :o

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 09:07:06 AM »
One other thing. If you're finding that you need more light on a subject, try placing a "bounce card" off frame (an index card, piece of white paper, etc...) to reflect some more light where you need it (like the side of the locomotive and the underframe).

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
    • IG
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2015, 12:18:38 PM »
Actually I use a cellphone, and I have my phones screen on low, but I can still see where the grabs are located....
 I also never said the locomotive *had* weathering on it, other than the dulcote to kill the gloss paint I used for the grab irons. What I did say was that I hope some weathering might hide some of the blemishes I saw when putting the grabs on. But this is a mute point as that shell has currently went to the bath I.e. 91% alcohol as the last coat of dulcote had completely ruined the shell when it started to orange peel... Was a brand new can, and was a bit warmer than room temp, which is how I normally use it and I have had no issues doing it that way for years...

@coosvalley As for using Film, I can't say I miss those days as the only film I've ever needed was probably the standard film cartridge, and I still took great shots... But hey if you can find a really great photo editing app on windows phone let me know.... Cause I haven't seen one I'm willing to pay for...  :P
But I do appreciate the compliments, its wasn't fun doing all of them by hand (I'm lying here) I used .010 brass wire, #80 bit (that I did not break on this project!!  :D )needle nose pliers with no teeth (I think term is blind or smooth jawed? ) and xuron rail nippers.... Worst part yet is that I had no drilling template either so some of them have a couple small holes that are extra... Lol

@Ed Kapuscinski (odd last name... I'm butchering it as I think about how to pronounce it... ) I have used index cards in the past, but since I bought a small florescent (like handheld) lamp I've never needed to do that, its small enough where I can lay it on the shelf and move it around the subject and I don't have to worry about it being in frame, you can see evidence of it in one of my shots... ( oh its also the same color temp as my Daylight Led bulbs that I have used in my light fixture. So that's a bonus. )

Its fun being poor and trying to model trains today yay.  :facepalm:

Can we get back to the modeling please? I like seeing other work here...
Especially the ones that model N scale and make a Athearn Genesis HO loco look like a O-27 Lionel...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:26:46 PM by nscaler711 »
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2015, 02:10:24 PM »
Ed Kapuscinski(odd last name... I'm butchering it as I think about how to pronounce it... )

Not if you're Polish!  :D   It relates to cabbage.  I think it is quite fitting.  ;)
. . . 42 . . .

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 05:55:19 PM »

Can we get back to the modeling please? I like seeing other work here...

OK, since I was one of the chatty folks, I will steer this back on track, pun intended...Here is a photo I've never shared before, and though it's hard to see(lighting issues, should'a used photo software! :facepalm:), the loco has grabs, steam generator, nose bell, winter hatch, MU hoses and cut levers, and I also painted and weathered it. The dump cars are Walthers cars I cut down and painted/weathered...I like how the weathering inside the cars looks!

I have plenty more I could share, but I have shared most of them before...and I feel weird about over-self-promotion, if that makes sense?..Does anyone else feel like that?

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2015, 05:56:35 PM »
Not if you're Polish!  :D   It relates to cabbage.  I think it is quite fitting.  ;)

Dammit... that cabbage thing again. Lol.

Plus, my family butchered the pronunciation in a way that I'm sure will make Pete cringe. We pronounce it "cap a zin ski". Not the "capus chin ski" the way that most people would expect.

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
    • IG
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 07:35:43 PM »
OK, since I was one of the chatty folks, I will steer this back on track, pun intended...Here is a photo I've never shared before, and though it's hard to see(lighting issues, should'a used photo software! :facepalm:), the loco has grabs, steam generator, nose bell, winter hatch, MU hoses and cut levers, and I also painted and weathered it. The dump cars are Walthers cars I cut down and painted/weathered...I like how the weathering inside the cars looks!

I have plenty more I could share, but I have shared most of them before...and I feel weird about over-self-promotion, if that makes sense?..Does anyone else feel like that?
No you shouldn't use PhotoShop or w/e on that photo. I had to look twice at it lol.
You took it outside right? Natural sunlight is really the only way to go... But daylight color temp bulbs work almost as good...
It looks really well shot. Lighting issues my arse... Lol if anything blame the blasted couplers, that's what gave it away... Lol

Ed, that's funny, and I'd still butcher it. Lol

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2015, 07:39:07 PM »

I think your pic is great without editing, Coosvalley. It looks like sunlight to me, the model work looks good and the weathering makes it look real. Sharing is what it's all about here. Keep it coming!
James R. Will

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »
Ok ill reevaluate my lighting issues when you buy me a house. :ashat:

Go pick out a new house you like and send me the bill.

Seriously, I was just trying to see your model work. Now that I can actually see it, great job!
James R. Will

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3054
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2015, 08:57:19 PM »

Plus, my family butchered the pronunciation in a way that I'm sure will make Pete cringe. We pronounce it "cap a zin ski". Not the "capus chin ski" the way that most people would expect.

That's why you just say " Hey, Ed K !! "

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 09:15:29 PM »

<cringing> I see what you mean. </cringing>

I wouldn't worry about the cabbage thing - my surname is derived from sour cherries. I'm a fruit!  :D
. . . 42 . . .