Author Topic: N: new Kato Unitrak Turntable  (Read 1526 times)

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
N: new Kato Unitrak Turntable
« on: August 05, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »
I see they are out.

Anybody have one yet?

Planning to get one?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 07:31:23 PM by GaryHinshaw »
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
Re: N: new Kato Unitrak Turntable
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 04:18:47 AM »
The only real downside of it is it needs to be longer, 160mm is too short for most steam locos (how often do diesels really need to be turned?)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 02:50:26 AM »
The MILW had to turn their twin-cab Little Joe electrics...

Of course, they wouldn't have had to if they hadn't filled the rear cab with electrical equipment, making them single-cab motors.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:11:28 AM »
I may eventually get one.   A little offput by the lack of a decoder, especially for the price.   I don't need one right this second so I'll just wait it out and try to find one used eventually.

I've been toying with the idea of modifying a large HO turntable to hold doubletrack N Unitrack for my (proposed, eventually double-ended) staging....i.e. I don't care that it looks prototypical.   That way I can turn all consists (figuring no more than 3 six-axles, ever) and also have a doubletrack run-through/runaround in normal position.   Also possibly putting a double-crossover across the bridge to let me have ultimate flexibility from each pair of tracks. (but mainly for the run through tracks.)   Anybody ever done this before?
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 01:09:39 AM »
Not with a standard turntable, but I remember an article years ago where someone built a rotating staging yard.  If I remember right it was a British modeler, modeling the end of a branch line, meaning short trains, and the idea was the trains came out of staging, did their switching, then went back in.  By turning the entire yard (by hand) he didn't have to manually move the engines from one end to the other for the next day's work.  The passenger trains, in particular, didn't have to be rearranged.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 06:10:22 PM »
+1
I just got one today, two years after this topic was started. I'm in the New Orleans area, and I stopped by my former local hobby shop and picked it up. I'm going home tomorrow, so some time this Saturday night or Sunday I'll see how it works (I hope).

Hmm... Kiz'll probably
burn the house down...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"