Author Topic: MTL August Releases  (Read 5525 times)

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Re: MTL August Releases
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 11:06:59 AM »
hi Shipsure,

In one rather authoritive statement you have answered many questions I have had.
the statement:
"Not ignoring Southern Roads, they are sadly very, very, very, very poor sellers (as far as freight goes)."

the questions :

why no 4-6-2 ps4...
why so few southern boxcars
why so many hand painted Southern locos on the bay.
(this is a relative note...)

and while not a question
for many years I had assumed the Southern RailRoad was a small outfit
because there were few pieces of equipment available in n-scale.

an un founded conclusion because I used n-scale models to 'size' the road.

an eye opening statement. thanks.

I'll make it a point to buy something south....  gimmie a green light.

victor

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 01:10:24 PM »
I agree Phillip...but folks need to start buying IC, SOU, SCL, KCS, ACL cars so I can schedule more.    These, sadly are poor performers.  The West India Fruit Company car did better than most of the "Southeastern" road three months either side of the release.  Go figure.  Anyway, not abandoning it, I've presented some more FEC cars, Southern and ACL so keep your fingers crossed.

Joe

Joe,
I think its partly a misconception problem.  IC, SOU and SCL all ran well into the Mid-Atlantic and mid-west, but are also uniquely southern lines.  modern KCS is getting some long overdue love, but a classic 1950's/1960's Southern Belle consist would run from KC and Chicago all the way to New Orleans.

On the freight side most of those roads interchanged freely with the "classic" Northern and Western roads. So PRR modelers who really want ot be accurate to the 1950's need SCL and ACL cars in their consists, bring fresh Florida produce and fish to New Your Markets.
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 02:00:38 PM »
I agree Phillip...but folks need to start buying IC, SOU, SCL, KCS, ACL cars so I can schedule more.    These, sadly are poor performers.  The West India Fruit Company car did better than most of the "Southeastern" road three months either side of the release.  Go figure.  Anyway, not abandoning it, I've presented some more FEC cars, Southern and ACL so keep your fingers crossed.

Joe

I buy as much as I can, mostly to replace earlier generation cars from other manufacturers that aren't up to my standards.  Your weathered ICG car is great - but I need two or three road numbers with variations to make it believable.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +443
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 04:38:35 PM »
I wonder if passenger cars would be different because of the pretty colors.  ACL was purple, after all.  I know I can get you information on blue L&N cars and red and maroon GM&O cars if you need it.  Three car sets is a good idea.
Aaron Bearden

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +141
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 07:54:02 AM »
Here are the August weathered releases: http://www.blwnscale.com/mt-weathered.htm

And regarding the discussion on SE prototypes, every Pennsy modeler should have a few SAL, ACL, RFP, Southern head end cars if modeling the NE corridor. PRR got a N&W sleeper, and a baggage occasionaly, from their connection with the PRR at Hagerstown that went to NY via Harrisburg and Philly. There was also the Texas Eagle and a connection with the L&N's Pan American.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 09:21:03 AM »
Joe those CP weathered cars are perfect, just ordered them! I would order as many unique versions as you could ever make.

While I think its cool to do more of the iconic graffiti cars, the more a typical ones are a volume demand for modern modelers.  Also of note, since the graffiti plague is deeply rooted in Canada, almost hard to find any CP or CN car without it.

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 12:58:47 PM »
 :D :D
Joe those CP weathered cars are perfect, just ordered them! I would order as many unique versions as you could ever make.

While I think its cool to do more of the iconic graffiti cars, the more a typical ones are a volume demand for modern modelers.  Also of note, since the graffiti plague is deeply rooted in Canada, almost hard to find any CP or CN car without it.
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 01:42:16 PM »
So this is a pagan holiday car?   ;)

I know you called it "designer graffiti" but someone really did tag two boxcars with that image.

The "Christmas" holiday season, along with "Halloween" and others, became more noted for being commercial secular holidays long long ago.

The fact that the model is based on prototypical graffiti doesn't make it appropriate, on a number of levels.  The irony of the prototype of course is that is was religious expression in the form of vandalism.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2015, 01:47:15 PM »
So is the ESM's 2012 Hoilday car really based on a 1:1 car?  Any photos of the prototype?

I would have thought that since there are ESM logos, the model car would have been made first, then maybe someone paid homage to it by tagging a real car.  :|  Unless Bryan tagged the real car, then made a model of it.  :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:49:24 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2015, 01:56:07 PM »
 :facepalm:

The ESM holiday cars follow the long-standing tradition firmly established by model railroad companies decades and decades ago.  The ESM model in question  (featuring Santa's cap, a wreath, a wrapped present and snowflakes) contains no religious demarcations.  There truly is no parallel or correlation to the MTL Creation of Adam cars.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2015, 02:07:57 PM »
The fact that the model is based on prototypical graffiti doesn't make it appropriate, on a number of levels.  The irony of the prototype of course is that is was religious expression in the form of vandalism.

Bryan, I really really doubt that the tagger was expressing religion as much as he was emulating Michelangelo's most famous work.  It so happens that much of the Renaissance art was religious in foundation.  It feels to me like you're stretching to make a political point.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:10:55 PM by Dave Vollmer »

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 02:58:31 PM »
Pretty much all art from the time of the fall of the Roman Empire to the 1300s was religious in nature (there are exceptions, of course).  Why?  Who had time to learn the skill and money to buy painting supplies?  Monks!

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 03:57:40 PM »
Bryan, I really really doubt that the tagger was expressing religion as much as he was emulating Michelangelo's most famous work.  It so happens that much of the Renaissance art was religious in foundation.  It feels to me like you're stretching to make a political point.

I'm not making a political point. Your view of it as paying homage to an art icon is an interesting one that I hadn't considered. Also interesting though is that you were the first person in the thread to make that observation.

I accept that I am in the very small minority on this issue, and that's fine. But I also can say that it is a path that ESM never will travel.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2015, 07:37:53 PM »
doubt that the tagger was expressing religion as much as he was emulating Michelangelo's most famous work. 

Exactly!  I first saw it in MAD Magazine.

G

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:32:05 PM by Spades »

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 10:57:28 PM »
Your view of it as paying homage to an art icon is an interesting one that I hadn't considered. Also interesting though is that you were the first person in the thread to make that observation.

I can't speak for the rest but I *assumed* that EVERYONE got the Michelangelo connection.   Didn't think it worth "observing".

While I have no issue with you objecting to anything, I think an argument could be made that this is simply "art about literature" (the Bible) versus art about religion.   About as strong an argument as saying a Christmas car isn't related to religion.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.