Author Topic: PRR Position Light Signal - Chapter 2  (Read 7947 times)

nscaleSPF2

• Crew
  • knowwhatimean?
  • Respect: +103
PRR Position Light Signal - Chapter 2
« on: July 29, 2015, 05:19:33 PM »
Some of you SPF's out there may remember the PRR PLS that I released in Shapeways, about 2 years ago.  Here is a link to the original thread:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=28968.0

They cost about $7 for 8 signal heads in FXD.  Since they were released, there have been about a dozen orders.  Since I have not gotten any feedback from whoever purchased them, I have to assume that they are sitting in the "misc. parts" drawers.  Again, I am guessing, but this is probably because the installation of the LED's is such a big pita.

I can fix this by having a circuit board manufactured that has the LED's on one side and the wires soldered to the back.  Credit to Bob Knight of TrainCat for this idea.  The board would look something like this.

The board would be made out of 0.010 inch flexible material.

Here is the problem:  It is ridiculously expensive to make the 6 or so boards that I need.  So if there are others out there that a willing to participate in this project, we could get the price down.  Preliminary quotes indicate that 100 circuit boards would cost about $20 each.

Any interest?  If gives any of you want more confidence in this approach, Peteski has already designed the layout of the board.

This is NOT a request for money.  I would cover the up-front costs.  Just want to know if anyone else is interested.
Jim Hale

Trying to re-create a part of south-central Pennsylvania in 1956, one small bit at a time.

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
Re: PRR Position Light Signal - Chapter 2
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:04:05 PM »
I`m interested but wouldnt be in the market for some for a little while maybe another year or 2
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 06:58:25 PM »
If I read this correctly the LED's would already be mounted on the board for $20 each.  Since I only need 3 I very well could be in.  was actually thinking of using fiber optics for the ones I purchased, primarily because I could.   But quickly discovered that after 2 moves I've lost the strands I had and have yet to go on the quest for more.  So this thread is well timed.  I just need to get busy on the layout to get to the point of installing them.  The heads got a good bit of ooo's and aahhhh's at the model railroad club.

dcutting

• Crew
  • Respect: -57
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 07:34:48 PM »
Hello,

I love the PRR position signals (I model NYA and the LIRR on Long Island), shoot me a PM. I have some ideas for you about these.

-David
David Cutting

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 11:01:46 PM »
I'm definitely interested in these could use 6 boards for sure. 8)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:39:08 PM by unittrain »

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 12:11:01 AM »
I'm ultimately going to be in need of 100+ PL heads. I'm really sad that @TrainCat2 has gone offline. He had or had in the works everything I need. Unfortunately, just as much as I need the heads, I need masts and signal bridges. Not sure what I'm going to do if he doesn't come back, but these are a possibility.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:23:08 AM »
I would be all over this except that by 1960 or so N&W had upgraded it's position lights to Color.

Heavily needed by anyone modeling N&W or the former N&W portions of NS right up until the early part of this century.

Oh yeah, and AMTRAK also upgraded to CPLs on its NE Corridor.

Oh well ... Hope you PRR/LI/LV get what you need!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:27:05 AM by Mark5 »

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 11:33:39 AM »
I'm ultimately going to be in need of 100+ PL heads. I'm really sad that @TrainCat2 has gone offline. He had or had in the works everything I need. Unfortunately, just as much as I need the heads, I need masts and signal bridges. Not sure what I'm going to do if he doesn't come back, but these are a possibility.

It's great to see all of the interest. I mocked up a circuit last night that puts all 7 LED's on a PCB, with an I/O atmel chip to take five wires down to three that would have to go into the pole. What do you guys use for signal control?

I should be able to come up with something for bridges; first part is the electrical stuff.

-David
David Cutting

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »
I have one bridge that is unbuilt. (Not the Traincat one,)  I'll be in for at least 2 maybe 4 depending on where I put this thing. 

So just to confirm board and LED's for +/- $20?  (head seperate) Thats a great price.

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +142
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 01:12:24 PM »
I'll be in the same boat Eric when I start to build my PRR layout eventually (I need to finish school, find a house, get a car, and save enough money up first!), but even now for my planned HCD layout, I could use a few.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 02:58:21 PM »
Somewhat OT.... what are you guys using for a tiny good yellow LED?

I've been using a miniatronics yellow for fixed-color displays.  The Tomar 3-colors tiny ones actually have a better blended yellow color than the Miniatronics yellow one does but I'm not using those for a fixed indication.  To me the miniatronics has a distinct greenish color.

I'm a sympathizer more than an SPF, to me, getting the color right visually is half the battle.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:31:30 PM by randgust »

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 07:35:11 PM »
Randy - Jim Hinds at Richmond Controls has what you need.
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

Altoona

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 10:58:51 PM »
Go to Mouser or Digikey check on smd leds  to see what they have, buy a couple each to see it you get the right color, then buy what you need at a lower price.

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 07:37:51 AM »
Hi guys,

I just ordered a test PCB for $0.50 at osh park!

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/OzRb1AAi

There is a microcontroller on the back that takes signals from a microchip below the layout. This eliminates most of the wires, it should work on only 3 or four wires! I grouped the go, slow, and stop elements to be on at the same time, and had the center element on at all times.

Test should be here soon. I'll report back on that.

-David
David Cutting

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 08:18:22 AM »
Hi guys,

I just ordered a test PCB for $0.50 at osh park!

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/OzRb1AAi

There is a microcontroller on the back that takes signals from a microchip below the layout. This eliminates most of the wires, it should work on only 3 or four wires! I grouped the go, slow, and stop elements to be on at the same time, and had the center element on at all times.

Test should be here soon. I'll report back on that.

-David
Looking forward to see how this turns out, we need more signals in N like Pennsy,N&W and B&O not just simple single light types, if we are going to get them it appears the only way is diy.