Author Topic: Best Of Landscape Critique  (Read 20918 times)

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
Re: Landscape Critique
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »
Here are a few pictures I found or railpictures.net:

Thats awesome, I have almost the same set of photos saved for ref! Pool Point Bridge is my favorite railroad icon. Like minds..

For the image above, here is my interpetation of it (Bridge right after breaking out of a tunnel)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 05:41:08 PM »
Excellent tip! Ya was never happy about that part. The black sanded grout looks more 'muddy' like. Excellent looking scene btw.

Thanks. The pics weren't amazing, they came from my Droid, but I think they get the point across. Wait till I start making some progress on the layout...

davidgray1974

• Crew
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker
  • Respect: +224
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 09:50:52 PM »
The basic land form looks really good!

Thanks Tom!!!

Modeling the L&N, well at least a few times a year.

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 09:53:54 PM »
Much improved already! I second Ed K's suggestion to practice techniques off-layout. Use a scrap of foam around a square foot in size on which to practice.

Thanks Dave!  Will absolutely practice with a scrap piece next time.  I actually bought a Noch Gras Master, sculptamold and some sanded grout to play with before I add them to the scenery.

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »
David, that new landform is looking good, though I'm not sure what your plan is for that foam plateau in the middle of the scene.

Smike, very nice!  One of the best uses of ceiling tiles I've seen before.  You should write up some notes on your diesel detailing too.

-gfh

Thanks Gary!  The foam area in the middle is actually where my coal mine will be located.  A river will seperate the coal mine side and the scenery next to the edge of the layout.  Here are some pics to give you a rough idea of what it will look like:

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »
Well the Cripplebush rubber rocks finally came in and the look really good.  I've played with them a bit and they are very flexible and hug the contours of the moutain pretty well.  Here is a pic of the ones I purchased:

I was thinking of putting one of them behind the coal mine.  I thought it would give the look that the side of the mountain had to be cut in to, to accomodate the mine.  Here it is laying against the layout to give you an idea of what it may look like:

Here is a picture with the coal mine holding it up, but again just for reference to give you an idea of the scale of the rock to the mine.  The mine will actually be set back on the track some more.

I also installed one of the stone abutments this week as well.

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 10:19:14 PM »
Thats awesome, I have almost the same set of photos saved for ref! Pool Point Bridge is my favorite railroad icon. Like minds..

For the image above, here is my interpetation of it (Bridge right after breaking out of a tunnel)

That looks amazing.

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 12:46:56 PM »
Thansk David!
Wow that is awesome you got the cripple bush rocks. Those pics really help gauge the scale of those things. So realistic! Can't wait to see them once you get them installed. Thanks for sharing!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 02:46:20 PM »
So, you got hooked on the rubber rocks? I think you'll be glad that you did. If you want a few pointers on working with the stuff, here are some clinics based on my experiences:

http://ganddinz.blogspot.com/2011/03/lets-rock.html
http://ganddinz.blogspot.com/2011/03/rock-on.html
http://ganddinz.blogspot.com/2011/03/daphetid-tunnels-part-deux.html
http://ganddinz.blogspot.com/2011/03/rock-around-clock.html
http://ganddinz.blogspot.com/2011/04/last-of-rock.html

Note that I don't pay much attention to the instructions. Cyanoacrylate bonds the stuff so aggressively that in most cases you can't pull the joint apart; the rubber will rip elsewhere first. I also found that Krylon and other rattle-can paints caused no harm to the molds. I cut the rock apart with a pair of heavy-duty scissors, and for really fine work I use a Dremel tool with a cut-off disc. In places where I have two parts butted together that don't look quite right, I reshape the surface with the Dremel. Sculptamold is perfect for blending the rocks together with the surrounding terrain.

Incidentally, I think this thread ought to be merged with this other one: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=24011.0
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:47:56 PM by David K. Smith »

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 06:47:08 PM »
I know I haven't been on in awhile but I have started to carve a some contours into the foam and I have also started adding some hills.  Wanted to add a few pictures of where I'm at as of today.  As always, any and all suggestions are welcome.

Miles

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 09:33:07 PM »
Those hillsides look really steep! Wouldn't they be prone to some serious landslides and water runoff?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 09:44:56 PM »
Those hillsides look really steep! Wouldn't they be prone to some serious landslides and water runoff?

Those aren't "hillsides"--they're rocky cliffs, and among the most beautiful, realistic ones you're likely to see. Here's a sample: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=30660.msg338430#msg338430

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 04:02:14 AM »
Wow.

This thread is like the quintessential definition of the RailWire's "better modeling through peer pressure". 

David's initial efforts were good.  But with all the constructive input from this thread, you compare it to the picture that (one of the many other) David posted from a few months ago, and the final result was absolutely epic.
-Mark

Miles

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2014, 04:48:08 PM »
Those aren't "hillsides"--they're rocky cliffs, and among the most beautiful, realistic ones you're likely to see. Here's a sample: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=30660.msg338430#msg338430

WOW! Indeed. Realistic and gorgeous! Such attention to detail and terrain pays off well.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2014, 05:28:28 PM »
Wow.

This thread is like the quintessential definition of the RailWire's "better modeling through peer pressure". 

David's initial efforts were good.  But with all the constructive input from this thread, you compare it to the picture that (one of the many other) David posted from a few months ago, and the final result was absolutely epic.

Until you posted, I had not realized the two sets of photos were even work by the same person.
Peter Pfotenhauer