Author Topic: Rapido is doing HO Alco FA-2 - Can N Scale be coming?  (Read 2601 times)

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
Re: Rapido is doing HO Alco FA-2 - Can N Scale be coming?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 09:51:48 PM »
I`d Love an N scale set and hell if you can do PRR, Erie and LV I`ll have to buy a few!
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 10:04:39 PM »
I'd be in for a few PRR units with the Trainphone antenna.

Scott

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +188
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 10:30:16 PM »
as time goes by the state of the art changes. I haven't repowered my plastic framed AA FA-2 locos, and I'm happy with them because they run pretty well and they look ok.

But they aren't anywhere close to state of the art--not in run quality, the ability to have dcc and sound, or in fit and finish. Also, if I decide to add more FA-2 models to my roster I will have to find the pilot inserts somewhere.

I would imagine that a N scale Ann Arbor FA-2 would be a gorgeous model in every way when compared to my early run Life Like models. I'd buy the Rapido models in a heartbeat.  Jeff C

LL did update the FA-2s to a split frame with flywheels.   They are excellent runners and pullers.   The word is that the DCC conversion is difficult on these, but as I do not use DCC, I can not comment.  The runnability of the split frame cab units from LL/WKW is up to modern standards.  In addition to the FA-2s LL offered FA-1s, FM C-liner and FM Erie with the same basic spilt frame design.   LL also later upgraded its plastic frame E-units and PAs to a similar split frame.

leikec

• Respect: +3
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 10:38:15 PM »
Yep, knew that--and maybe I'll get around to buying the updated locos for the mechanisms for my AA shells. But I'd still be in the market for the Rapido locos if they were released in AA paint.

I have some of the split frame LL BL2 and GP20 locomotives--and every one of them needed some kind of tweaking to get them to run well.

Jeff C

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 12:49:22 PM »
I guess I could let this go on for a while longer but ...nah....

We've looked at the Alco project in N scale and we're considering it... no commitment yet but we're actively considering it.

I'll take Western Maryland 301, 302, 303 in Speedscript and 304 in Circus. Please!

:D
The S.

leikec

• Respect: +3
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »

I think these would sell well, though how pent up demand is is probably an important question.

The pent up demand question is one side of the double edged sword confronting model train importer/manufacturers, because at some point they have to make something--and there is usually less overall risk in making a new and better version of a previously made prototype with a prior record of generating sales.

Jeff C

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »
The pent up demand question is one side of the double edged sword confronting model train importer/manufacturers, because at some point they have to make something--and there is usually less overall risk in making a new and better version of a previously made prototype with a prior record of generating sales.

Jeff C

An interesting way of looking at this... from the manufacturer's perspective you have the following questions

1. Is there a market demand for this prototype, or is it 50 guys on the internet making noise ?
2. Do existing models fill the need ? A portion of the meed (ie: "train set vs modeller quality") or do existing models fall short ?
3. Are existing models available?
4. Will the mfg with the existing tooling re-issue the model while you are planning/offering the new version ?
5. Will the market support a higher quality/higher price model of this prototype?
6. Is there enough re-run potential for the tooling to be paid off and make the project profitable?
7. Would the valuable tooling money be better spent on a new model that hasn't been previously made?

... and then you have to "take a leap of faith"........

Fun, fun, fun...... :lol:
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 01:19:19 PM »
I was kind of expecting Walthers to stop sitting  :ashat: on the LL tooling ...

Spikre

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »
 :D
  Rapido will have plenty of competition from the split frame Yugo FA-2 ---Not !!
    is it things like this that make companies worry ?
      Spikre
       :?

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 03:02:21 PM »
An interesting way of looking at this... from the manufacturer's perspective you have the following questions

1. Is there a market demand for this prototype, or is it 50 guys on the internet making noise ?

Ask Micro-trains about the SW1500

[Cough]AS-616[\cough] [cough]DRS-6-6-1500[\cough]

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 04:13:36 PM »
Regarding the Life-Like FA-2s — the final release that appeared after the FA-1s were of the same quality as their later diesels, with diecast split-frame mechanism, enclosed front pilot with body-mounted coupler, and superior painting and deco. The paint/deco quality of the FA and PA are top-end and to this day easily stand up to anything currently released. I can't see replacing any of my units, New Haven or otherwise.  The only component that could use an upgrade is the wheel profile and flange, and the current Walthers wheels with detailed faces and smaller flanges are a drop-in replacement. The downside is that you can get the new wheels only when Wathers releases a comparable unit, such as the RS-2 or the DL-109. 
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 11:42:28 PM »
I guess I could let this go on for a while longer but ...nah....

We've looked at the Alco project in N scale and we're considering it... no commitment yet but we're actively considering it.

All I have to say about this comment.