Author Topic: Ammonoosuc Valley RR  (Read 3307 times)

dariaphoebe

• Respect: +1
Re: Ammonoosuc Valley RR
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2021, 05:36:18 PM »
Your pics are all dead; do you have more current copies of the CPM complex stuff online somewhere?
Thank you Specter for the suggestion. I tried to incorporate a similar concept in my latest revision. R.L. Smith I hope you enjoy seeing a fellow New England modeler's attempt to recreate the CPM complex in N scale! I have never modeled a prototype in this fashion (to as close as POSSIBLE!) so it should be interesting!

A few notes with the new plan. I realized last night that my Conway Scenic yard was a total F! I had scaled it incorrectly and left a track out that they use to hold layover train sets (I think thats the purpose anyways). I re-scaled my reference aerial image and tried to copy it as faithfully as possible. I had to change the shape of the 1:1 yard to be a little bit more flat for my shelf purposes but I am much happier with the current track plan/representation of it. In order to make this work better I figured I should move it down the shelf and flip spots with the weirs beach area. This does 2 things: straightens the ladder so the turnout config can be a better/more true representation of the real deal, and moves the purely scenic area (weirs beach/large bridge scene) onto the 'North' shelf, sort of cutting the hands on operational components into West shelf (conway scenic) and East shelf (industrial area).

I also tried to make a more organic feeling yard by adding a bit of a curve to the industrial yard...I also added another track to it. I am on the fence about this 4th track that leads to the complexes, but I like how this would leave the main open to an orbiting train in Lone Wolf mode, and keep the local from fouling. This also leaves another track that can be used as an interchange/siding for the main for a freight to sit until a higher priority freight or passenger passes. The local can keep its duties confined to the next 2 tracks. Again this area is totally freelanced aside from CPM so I am unsure if the track plan will really allow some hearty ops. I would like to model an interchange of sorts where a freight will bring in a long string of cars (inbound loads and MTs) onto track 2, drop cars for the local to spot, and pick up the outbound loads and MTs and continue on its way either West toward Conway or back into staging. Unfortunately I haven't really done a lot of research on Pan Am yards that may lend themselves to giving me a better idea of how crews may go about dealing with this sort of scenario.

I realize I introduced an S curve at the North ladder for the industrial yard....I am unsure if this will be enough to be a game killer..I could use a #10 here if that would help?

Let me know what you guys think about the changes and if you think I am overcrowding with 4 tracks in 3rd street now. Perhaps I will call it 4th street :P

Mike