Author Topic: A stylized version of the NYNH&H in eastern MA, mid-'50s  (Read 6358 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +125
Re: A stylized version of the NYNH&H in eastern MA, mid-'50s
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 06:05:10 AM »
+1
"The most photographed scene of the New Haven-ish Railroad"

Because it's the one that most looks at least reasonably scenicked. This factory has been slowly moving toward completion for years (decades?), mostly because I didn't really know what it was supposed to be. Plus it was a lot of work to turn a Model Power kit into something realistic and American.

And now that I finally managed to get a picture into the Gallery, I just have to post it in as many forums as I can. For all the work it took to get it in there. Some night when I have a few hours to spare that should be enough time to get 5 or 6 more photos loaded into the Gallery. :trollface: then I can include some in this thread.
On non-scenery matters, I'm finishing up my last mainline route, got all the feeders in and hooked to the buss wires. Once I got under the layout I saw I hadn't connected all the feeders I'd installed last time (whenever that was). Aha! Balky loco problem solved! Still have a mainline realignment to do (just moving some track) and then it's a few spurs to lay and wire.
Shaped a lot of foam for ground then glued it down -- easier to work the foam on the workbench than when fastened to the layout. Laid out the millpond. Put together a Walthers house. Realized I had room for a small church so now I need to find a suitable one. What's a New England town without a church?
Got all my locos now DCCed (had someone else do it), one with sound. Because I bught an Atlas S-2 w/ sound and loved it so much. I'm not keen on having every loco with sound (a lot of them does get annoying) but a few here and there running around or working switching are certainly neat.
My major project the past 18 months has been building a factory complex for a customer, but now with that nearly complete and a lot of non-scenery done I can get to work making finished or at least decent-looking scenery. My downtown will be complete one-piece blocks of buildings, sidewalks, alleys, etc. Again, easier to make the whole thing at the workbench and then plop it on the layout rather than the usually uncomfortable positions leaning over the layout.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:59:02 AM by OldEastRR »

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 10:53:22 PM »
Man ... another 20 minutes used to make this simple post including uploading a new picture to Gallery. Anyway, my previous message got erased because I have to shift back and forth akll over the TRW website to get words AND a picture printed together, so the short version is

-- I like rectangular grids for laying out model towns. The long straight precise lines of streets, sidewalks, and building walls is my goal. It's the only realistic way to do it. Anything with looping roads and adjacent buildings sitting at odd angles looks like a Xmas tree village to me.

Here's a four-block straightaway of my town's "long" street, views from both ends. The NH S-2 is a reference point.

The big red fuzzy building flat on the RH side of the 2nd picture is the still-unfinished big textile mill that is the reason the town exists.
The road at the far end as seen in the 2nd photo doglegs into "the Most Photographed Scene on the New Haven-ish Railroad". On this end the town butts up against a river.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:08:37 PM by OldEastRR »

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +422
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 11:37:17 PM »
Just open the photo upload or gallery in a new tab or window.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 03:55:31 AM »
Just open the photo upload or gallery in a new tab or window.

Aha! Thanks! But I'll still miss the old one-click-photo attachment we used to have for our posts. Isn't technology supposed to be making our lives easier?

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2018, 08:14:45 PM »
+1
Once I got all the track (except a few spurs) laid down, wired and tested, I finally got to run trains rather smoothly. The plan allowed for 3 trains to run at once, tho they shared track at some points (the junction), and the double track was RH running. Theoretically I didn't need any reversing tracks since the trains automatically wound up RH running no matter which way they were routed through the junction.
And I had planned the scenery and trackage together so everything fit right and for the best use of space for both.
Funny thing about plans ..
After running trains and switching the industrial areas for a few hours, I realized it was rather limiting. First off, I could use a passing siding on the long single-track part. But I hadn't really left any space in the scenery for a passing track in the original plan. The only possible place for one had to be along the main through town, where it was crowded in by buildings.

I found a narrow lane alongside the single main

that made a long enough siding (the track rejoins the main just before the edge of the pink block)

So, like a real railroad, I had to buy up the land needed and demolish the buildings in the way. At least, theoretically that's what happened... I had to narrow a truck loading dock, fill in a creek, eliminate a parking lot and get a much narrower building (the pink block) than I'd planned to make the space for the siding. Actually not in a bad place; it runs along the passenger station.
So, some advice: don't cram in track everywhere you can on a layout, even if you believe you've got the perfect plan.

Meet the WALL o' TREES:

On this part of the layout three different mains came together to get through turnback loops --

To separate them visually, I used a double backdrop to run the center track (W the DL109) through, and a tall screen of trees between both it and the double track and single main (w/ the NH box).  The trees come right up to the edges of the backdrops and I'm going to have foliage over the top of the opening to the track entrance between the backdrops. It will look like the train is going into a tunnel of trees.

(the clutter of PAs and freight cars kinda mess up the illusion, but in this view the outside main (along the front edge of the layout) has already disappeared behind tall trees. The DL109 is about to vanish into the "tunnel".
This works because all three tracks are at slightly different elevations and grades, and a few feet past this end of the backdrops the center track drops down below both other lines and is hidden beneath them. That gives me plenty of space to divide the scenes between the other two lines.
The pic w/ the NH boxcar in it shows the beginning of the "Wall o' Trees" along the outside line. The trees go right down to the river's edge.
Right now I'm using long stiff wires to "fence in" chunks of WS Foam Foliage high enough. But I'm thinking blocks of florist's foam, shaped and those chunks glued or stuck on might work. I also have some O scale (or huge N scale) crafted trees that possibly, if planted in a row, make a good base for building the foam chunks on top of. That way there could be a little open space between the bottom of the tree branches and the ground, for low shrubbery.

Here's that tree wall from the other side (sorry about out of focus)

The river separates the two lines pretty well on the right. I relocated my diary from the center of the industrial area it used to be in to the space between the double main and the center track, you can see it in the above pictures. All the cars and locos there are bad order and are not actually spotted there.
There will also be sloping ground both above and below the ROWs and the dairy spur, dropping off rather quickly from the dairy to the river. All the tracks will be on embankments or stone abutments on the approaches to the bridges. You can see part of one bridge in the lower RH corner, and the tracks in the other corner are crossing a double-track stone arched viaduct.

The second thing was I should have crossovers between the double mains, which means reversing loop wiring. As for that, those are still being evaluated as to where they'll go.