Author Topic: Atlas S-2  (Read 4253 times)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
Re: Atlas S-2
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 11:04:23 PM »
Sorry, not two stack options. Just looked at parts bag under better light. It's the round stack to fit into body, and the bell is what fooled me. Oops :oops:
 Joe D

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 10:22:54 PM »
M.B. Kleins has a very few sound S2's listed in stock now, including (at the time of posting) 10 undecs.  The PRR are listed, but sold out.  Other are nearly so (1 or 2 units) so if you want one pull the trigger now. I'd bet that this is the last of the first run units and the next batch to show up is the 2nd run around Christmas or after.

Here's most of them. For some reason the Gold undecs don't show up, but they're there on the main N Scale page. And I couldn't search for the Gold, it came up blank so the search function doesn't work quite right.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/N-Scale-S1-S2-S4-Locomotives-s/1697.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=1697&brand=Atlas&show=300&page=1
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

reinhardtjh

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 05:42:59 AM »
BLWNScale is now listing it's 3rd shipment of Atlas S2's, these are the Gold with sound version.  They also post this note:

Important Note Regarding Atlas Alco S-2's
7/28/15 - We have now received our 3rd shipment of the Atlas Alco S2's. Unfortunately, Atlas has still not delivered all from the original order. This has become a long, drawn-out process for which we sincerely apologize -- but please understand this is totally beyond our control. For example, on the Undec GOLD S-2, (item #40000713), we are still "owed" 29 confirmed pieces from our original order. That does not included "bump-up's" which are "iffy". We are doing the best we can to ship these out in a timely fashion -- but cannot ship what is not here. We thank you for your understanding and patience in this matter.

Keep an eye open for shipping confirmation notices going out over the next 2 days.

http://www.blwnscale.com/atlas-s2.htm

I'm still waiting on 2 of the undecs so it will be interesting to see if there is another shipment or if it's lumped in with the second run whenever it arrives.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

spr1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +217
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 07:46:09 AM »
Has anyone tried to put a decoder in one.  I have learned that they modified the lightboard to keep the "dcc ready" models from running on address 00 to "protect the motor" so you can't run it on DCC in stretch analog mode. I can't tell from the parts diagram if it has a 6 pin plug or what. I would like to see how it performs but I'm stuck till I can get it running on DCC.

Dave P.
Dave P

Cory Rothlisberger

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 09:34:45 AM »
Has anyone tried to put a decoder in one.  I have learned that they modified the lightboard to keep the "dcc ready" models from running on address 00 to "protect the motor" so you can't run it on DCC in stretch analog mode. I can't tell from the parts diagram if it has a 6 pin plug or what. I would like to see how it performs but I'm stuck till I can get it running on DCC.

Dave P.

The analog units have a 6-pin plug located back by the cab. Beats me why that's not listed in the features...  :facepalm:

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +665
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 06:51:32 PM »
A DZ126IN (6 pin) just pops right in.  Pull out the analog board and insert the decoder.  The only hard part is that the DCC plug is mounted on the bottom of the light board.  It makes lining up all the pins a little awkward.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 06:51:50 PM »
On a side note. I was looking in the Atlas parts store and S2 parts are listed.  No ESU decoder though. But the DC lightboard is there.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1296
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 07:27:35 PM »

Dave P.

I picked up one from the first release, a DC version.  When I placed it on the track and called up "00" it did short out the system.
A few weeks ago I got a second one in and tested it on "00" and it worked just fine.
I grabbed the first unit and tried it again and this time it ran like a champ on "00" as well.    :?

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 08:58:37 PM »
I've got an EL sound unit coming, mostly so that I can disassemble it and see how Atlas did the sound installation.  What I'm really interested in is the size of the ESU board inside.  Has anyone taken the shell of a sound unit and measured the board?  My hope has been that the board is narrow enough to fit in other hood diesels, and that ESU will eventually release it as an end-user product . . . It would beat sanding down the inside of shells to accommodate the 10.6mm width of the Select Micro.

John C.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 09:36:14 AM »
Mark (Spookshow) has his review up now with pictures of the interior.

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/atlass2.html

Looking at the ESU sound board I'm wondering how useful it's going to be in other locos. it looks like it's pretty custom to the S2.  :?

It might be possible to lop off portions of the board at the ends, particularly the front if you don't mind losing the LED lights.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 09:57:06 AM »
It looks, though, like the component layout is very compact, and the rest is just added length so it would fit where they wanted for manufacturing purposes.  If I'm right about that, then making a generic board that is shorter would be relatively easy (lop off the LED's, and shorten the ends).  It does look like there may be some components (keeper caps?) on the far left end on the underside of the board, however.  In any event, I'll measure mine when I get it and post results in the DCC forum.

John C.

spr1955

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 12:44:10 PM »
I picked up one from the first release, a DC version.  When I placed it on the track and called up "00" it did short out the system.
A few weeks ago I got a second one in and tested it on "00" and it worked just fine.
I grabbed the first unit and tried it again and this time it ran like a champ on "00" as well.    :?

The comment about the lightboard was on an email I got from Don at Atlas, so maybe there is not much truth to it. I will try it both on DC and Dcc, I have a 6 pin decoder that someone is bringing over tonight, try that on Sat.

Spookshow had not gotten his early this week when I checked his sight, thanks for the heads up on the socket location. I will look at his sight before installing the decoder.
Dave P

spr1955

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2015, 02:41:06 PM »
Installed a Digitrax DZ126IN, got it in ok and runs well. Putting it all back together I find that the Digitrax board is a weee bit too wide as the long hood will not slide all the way back into the cab, the board is preventing it and the two screws in the front holding it down miss the holes. Going to leave if a while before I tear it apart again and alter the decoder board.

Dave P

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 05:28:12 PM »
I got my B&M loco today - didn't have the time to test out the sound.  But lookig at it I noticed that somethign didn't look right. Atlas didn't quite get the paint scheme right.  The white pinstripes (as pinstripes normall are) shoudl be very thin as compared to the width of the red stripe.  But on this model the white stripes are almost as wide as the red ones. Which makes the entire paint scheme look weird.

This is the Atlas S2 compared to Bachmann 44-tonner. As you can see, Bachman got it right this time.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

. . . 42 . . .