Author Topic: Micro-Trains SW1500 Decoder Installation Makes Me Want To Take Up Golf  (Read 3696 times)

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
ugh....  that sucks Ed.  any news on the 2nd try?
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
I see you took care of making sure the motor leads were isolated from the frame (that's what got me on the first attempt), but did you also make sure nothing on the decoder itself is touching the frame? There's almost zero clearance between the frame and decoder, which could be made worse when the shell goes on if something gets pushed down.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 03:53:36 PM by tehachapifan »

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
We took a decent running locomotive that has been in production for quite a few years, that was not DCC ready, and in collaboration with Digi-Trax, came up with a way to make the chassis DCC ready, so all those existing locomotives out there can now be DCC controlled. Your welcome.

Micro-Trains Line Designer

It seems you owe some thanks :facepalm:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
3rd time's a charm...

I realized what happened last time. Even though I taped up the rest of the frame, I had missed the area directly under the decoder. In retrospect, it's a pretty obvious thing, but I somehow I missed it.

I tried again tonight with a fresh decoder and it worked!

So...
The good news: if you insulate the entire damn mechanism, including replacing the stock electrical tape around the wires and motor contacts, it'll work.
The bad news: because the warranty period has run out, I'm out a decoder.

I'm not sure who I'm annoyed at with this, but I'm definitely annoyed:
Walthers, who made the mechanisms that weren't properly insulated in the first place?
MTL, who actually sold the engines, even though they're aware there's an issue with them?
Digitrax, who didn't mention any of this in the instructions, and didn't manufacture a more sturdy decoder that could either handle some incidental contact, or was wrapped in protective insulation?
Me, who assumed everyone else who made the stuff I was assembling had thought through this stuff already.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
I thought Digitrax had a one year goof proof warranty ...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
I thought Digitrax had a one year goof proof warranty ...

I think I read it was 90days.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
I think I read it was 90days.

90 days is for items not covered by the 1 year.

Mobile decoders are 1 year.

Jason