Author Topic: Steam ddc sound decoders  (Read 990 times)

Viperjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
Steam ddc sound decoders
« on: June 01, 2015, 02:24:13 AM »
This might be a not so smart question but I've heard the only stupid question is an unasked one so here goes, on a steam decoder with sound , I was wondering what the sound was when the decoder starts as far as a turbine or blower sound before the chuffing and hissing? Hopefully I'm explaining it right . Thank you

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
Re: Steam ddc sound decoders
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 05:01:50 AM »
Are you referring to the generator for the headlamp? You should hear that and the air compressor when the locomotive is idling.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:55:54 AM »
This might be a not so smart question but I've heard the only stupid question is an unasked one so here goes, on a steam decoder with sound , I was wondering what the sound was when the decoder starts as far as a turbine or blower sound before the chuffing and hissing? Hopefully I'm explaining it right . Thank you

On most steam sound decoders, turning on the headlight function also turns on the dynamo (a steam powered electrical generator on the boiler).   The dynamo sound will be a moderately-high-pitched whine and on most sound decoders, is too loud (and very annoying).  The air compressor sounds are not whines - they are more "pops and clicks" that come at random intervals.   In addition, at startup you will also hear a background hiss that is simply the normal sound of a steam boiler at idle.

John C.

Viperjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »
Yes that's the sound the whine at start up , I've never heard a steam engine from a dead start up but have been to steam feats and have never heard , to me which sounded , as I said a turbine starting up , and thanks for everyone's reply.