Author Topic: New Kit, concrete arch bridge by Rogue River Models now available  (Read 7781 times)

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Rogue River Models, formerly Stonebridge Models, has released this kit in both N scale and Z. It is made of the highest grade of material used for architectural models world wide. It is called “Taskboard” and excels at remaining flat, no warping, in spite of extensive laser rastering without showing grain of any kind.

It includes optional extensions that match exactly with the main bridge.

N measures:
* 9-1/4” long w/o extensions
* 12-3/4” long with both extensions
* 1-1/2” inside, between outside walls
* 2-3/8” tall from road surface
  down to the bottom of the pilings
$39.95

Z measures:
* 6-3/4” long w/o extensions
* 9-1/4” long with both extensions
* 1” inside, between outside walls
* 1-3/4” tall from road surface
  down to the bottom of the pilings
$34.95

For ordering email me at roguerivermodels@charter.net

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: New Kit, concrete arch bridge by Rogue River Models now available
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 09:14:58 PM »
That looks great Karin! 

Have you any designs for elevated girder/beam/pillar track?

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 09:21:51 PM »
Oh, dang! That's simply gorgeous! :o

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:11:29 PM »
Very cool.

While not exact, it would make a DANDY little stand-in for this bridge in Fort Worth...
http://hometownbyhandlebar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/bridge-paddock-reflection-3.jpg
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:12:43 PM »
I'm not a fan of Taskboard (if that is the same stuff used extensively by N Scale Architect), but the bridge design is awesome!
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 12:53:40 AM »
Lovely. How wide is the roadway?
Otto K.

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 02:56:04 AM »
I'm not a fan of Taskboard (if that is the same stuff used extensively by N Scale Architect), but the bridge design is awesome!

I casually looked over their site and saw nothing that indicates the use of Taskboard but that doesn't mean they don't. I just can't verify if this is the case.

A lot of you might remember I attempted to finish this kit up awhile ago but using the material I was using it just wasn't coming out right. I believe that, had you not known it was Taskboard and I handed the finished and painted bridge to you you would never have guessed what it was made of. This is a simple kit to put together if you follow the instructions carefully. I came to the decision to use Taskboard instead of any of the other more common materials because it can be rastered very well with absolutely no warping and leaving great detail. I needed a material that would remain flat after cutting and would raster deeply for that cast concrete look.

The negatives for the other options are:

Basswood; rasters nicely leaving the piece flat. However, everywhere that has been rastered brings out the wood grain more. Plus any small or thin pieces easily break on the grain.
Acrylic; rasters fine but even with lighter duty lasering the plastic warps. The very smooth finish would have to be sanded to look like concrete.
Styrene; melts too easily for this kind of detail with no satisfactory results.
Micro-ply; no satisfactory results.
MDF; too thick and the rastered surface is too rough.

I remember when we first got ahold of polybak laserboard. We met resistance at first but now most laser kit companies use even a little bit of it. My goal is to use the most effective material for whatever the particular project is. I promise there will still be plenty of wood kits coming out of the sweat house here (:

Lovely. How wide is the roadway?
Otto K.

1-1/2", one side has a double line slightly etched into it, the other side is plain.

I'm not talented with weathering so I didn't attempt it. I look forward to seeing some who have done it to their completed bridges.

Here is one more photo but closer.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 05:59:06 AM »
Sweet. It fills a gap in offerings. Way to go, sir.

How hard would it be to convert to a rail bridge?
Peter Pfotenhauer

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 06:20:01 AM »
Most N scale arch kits are wood, but they were one of the first people to offer taskboard for sale. They just sold it as a scratch building material:
http://www.taskboard.com/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:25:57 AM by Chris333 »

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 10:07:55 AM »
So if wet and then molded, will taskboard hold its shape well, be structurally stable to support other materials laminated onto it or behind it?  I'm still trying to resolve an old modeling challenge, the curved facade of an art deco structure for which I need an extremeley large cut-out in a curved facade, where a minimal structure at the top and bottom of the curved area would need to support the curve of an expansive clear window area (also curved).  The best I have achieved so far is using PVC pipe to maintain the curve in a ridgid state to hold the bow of the other materials, but it's so darn thick (at least 3/16") I can't achieve the thinness of the wall that gives the structure the airy quality it presents in person.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »
... The best I have achieved so far is using PVC pipe to maintain the curve in a ridgid state to hold the bow of the other materials, but it's so darn thick (at least 3/16") I can't achieve the thinness of the wall that gives the structure the airy quality it presents in person.

Not to thread drift... but there are different grades of PVC pipe. I have a project using a "160PSI" irrigation-grade pipe with a wall thickness of about 1/16". I don't know what "schedule" it is, but something like it might solve your issue. Try a plumbing specialty shop.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 12:21:14 PM »

Peter, agreed, it's definitely sweet, and I love the architecture. I'm already looking for a place to put it on my layout. But it's a light road bridge, with relatively short 30' spans; I can't see this bridge holding up to heavy rail, nor can I see a railroad building something this elaborate for short spans when simple 30', 40', or 60' deck bridges would do. Just my opinion, of course... others may disagree
Otto K.

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 01:29:08 PM »

Not sure any conversion needs to be done. I guess it goes without saying that you wouldn't want to use road bed track. I would just lay the track in the center preferably one piece that is longer than the span.

Peter, agreed, it's definitely sweet, and I love the architecture. I'm already looking for a place to put it on my layout. But it's a light road bridge, with relatively short 30' spans; I can't see this bridge holding up to heavy rail, nor can I see a railroad building something this elaborate for short spans when simple 30', 40', or 60' deck bridges would do. Just my opinion, of course... others may disagree
Otto K.

I honestly don't know what the weight limits might be on the real bridge but it is huge with supports down the center and I needed to shorten it for practical reasons. If you look at the photo of the real one you'll see that there is a single track line going underneath the bridge on the bank on the opposite side of the river. This style of bridge might be appropriate for an urban setting where architecture in bridges was aesthetically important. It doesn't need to span a river at all, a train can run under it as well.

I can laser a part that would allow you to flawlessly connect as many together as you'd like. But that would most likely be for large layouts only.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »

Pretty sure that's "way to go, ma'am."   :)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 03:25:12 PM »
A customer had just alerted me that the email address roguerivermodels@charter.net did not work. I have since activated it. If you tried to send me an email earlier I did not get it, please try again. Sorry for this.

Karin Snyder