Author Topic: Scenicruiser in Shapeways FXD - I'm stunned at how good it looks  (Read 5927 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
I had already sent some smaller detail parts to Shapeways to see how well the Extreme High Definition rendering on their ProJet3000Plus machines (FXD) was calibrated.  Given that recent parts have shipped to me out of Long Island City NY (Queens), I'm guessing the machine(s) is/are local.  So I decided to try a larger item that was self-contained where any XYZ variations were a non-factor, and submitted my Greyhound Scenicruiser parts (body, floor/interior, wheels) that I had designed long ago.

I have to say, I'm impressed with the results.  The parts still have to go in the Bestine bath, but it appears that the fluting detail looks super and any complications from the wax support infusing into the resin are non-existent.  It also helps that they used the proper orientation in placing the model on the build tray.  But these are the best ProJet results I've ever received from them.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:59:12 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Scenicruiser in Shapeways FXD - I'm stunned at how good it looks
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:58:55 AM »
Please also post some pics and impressions after the Bestine.  Everyone loved their FUD models until they got cleaned.

Jason

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 11:59:06 AM »
I'd open my wallet for one or two of those in a heartbeat..... looks quite nice!
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:02:23 PM »
Please also post some pics and impressions after the Bestine.  Everyone loved their FUD models until they got cleaned.

Not everyone.  I've complained about parts immediately and had them redone due to bad orientation or rough surfaces that were against the wax support.  In fact, I had a "redo" part from a couple of weeks ago also done with the Scenicruiser that they got right this second time.  But yes, I will post pics after the soak.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:05:04 PM »
I'd open my wallet for one or two of those in a heartbeat..... looks quite nice!

If they pan out after finishing, I'll make them available for sale on Shapeways.  The solid model has been finished for years, but their technology was not advanced enough to render it properly.

I'm severely tempted to try the 8600s now.  I tried it at my contractor and the lower fluting didn't render entirely.  The fluting spacing on the bus is close, so it might be worth the gamble.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:06:58 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 02:32:18 PM »
A quick question for those with experience in this new offering.  With the finer detail improved did it seem to improve the strength of the part in any perceptible way?  I have been tempted to use this for a loco shell that has some pretty fine details but from limited experience on other detailed parts that get handled a lot, I've been a bit afraid to do so.  Thanks.
Mark G.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 03:05:09 PM »
A quick question for those with experience in this new offering.  With the finer detail improved did it seem to improve the strength of the part in any perceptible way?  I have been tempted to use this for a loco shell that has some pretty fine details but from limited experience on other detailed parts that get handled a lot, I've been a bit afraid to do so.  Thanks.

Material strength would be unaffected either way by the rendering resolution selected.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2113
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 03:19:22 PM »
Will there be decals for sale .

Richie Dost

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2045
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 03:41:28 PM »
I made some inkjet decals for mine years ago.    If you can remember the old Atlas forum I spent an inordinate amount of time fixing two of the Bachmann ones for proper dimensions.   I can't sell them as a product but I'm always open to trades.   I also think it would work really well reprinted on my color laser.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 06:38:12 PM »
Nice! I thought these were going to be resin cast. The XFD is still pretty expensive.

What is an 8600? Is that one of the more modern MCI Greyhound buses?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 06:46:11 PM »
I had originally planned on doing them for myself, so either the casting or the RP works for me.  Casting options are limited these days, and not having to fill the windows with thin separation barriers is a plus as well.

I hadn't thought about decals on a large scale.  I do have artwork drawn for the original scheme, which is the era I'm interested in.

The 8600s are the New Haven streamlined coach.  I might explore the option of doing them RP rather than wait for them to come up on Rapido's N schedule,  or to see if they even make it on the schedule.  But I probably will try the TDM4507 first, which is another bus that has given me fits to try to render over the years and that I could use for NETCo representation.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 07:04:41 PM »

I asked the same question directly to shapeways and they indicated that because the FXD material is denser, it would also be stronger. I have yet to compare the two. I have noticed that the tolerances are the same for minimum wall thickness between the two materials. My personal experiences with FUD have shown that with the "print it anyways" program I have gotten away with some pretty thin walls here and there. Your concern about material strength shouldn't stop you from "giving it a go" as FUD is pretty robust under most circumstances. I found that scrubbing the raised surface detail of a loco shell with a toothbrush after soaking it in Bestine posed no loss of such detail. Now if you're going to let your little ones play with it, you might consider white strong and flexible. :D
James R. Will

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 05:37:05 AM »
Thanks jimmo.  I figured that it may possibly be stronger due to the density and surface finish control even though the material is the same.  Fewer voids, stress risers, and the like.  Just not sure if it was perceptible or skirting around the margins.  Even if the strength isn't much better, if the finish IS that much better, then it makes it harder to dismiss.  For those parts where the detail and finish was really important it was tough to accept a part with marginal finish AND delicate to the extreme.  Thanks again.
Mark G.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 10:37:25 AM »
After the soaking.  They may have built it vertically, which I wasn't entirely sure of but suspected due to how the tires looked.  I'm still not sure.  The good news is that the machine currently is calibrated so well that the build orientation isn't obvious and any noticeable build lines easily can be sanded out.  And next time, I'll specifically put the request in to build it horizontally.  It seems as if they are starting to honor that as long as the date-required isn't an issue, as it beats having to eat the part and build it again.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:50:54 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 10:43:39 AM »
Thanks Bryan, that looks pretty good even under that magnification.   

Jason